Doggy Defense

I absolutely agree that a dog makes a great burglar alarm (and mine are great at that), but I feel that it would be lax not to point out that an untrained dog could be a terrible liability in certain defensive situations. Say, for example, a family (husband, wife, two kids, and faithful pooch) is at home eating dinner together when maniac violently enters front door waving an AK-47. Now, say dog reacts as most dogs would and lunges at maniac while husband and wife are both still in the process of drawing sidearms. Honestly, in that split second, could you engage the target, possibly killing mans-best-friend in the process, without hesitating or freezing up altogether? I don't know if I could. I would like to think the training would kick in and I wouldn't hesitate, but I can't predict for sure. I know it sounds harsh but it is the reality of the situation. And the result? The maniac, reacting to the attacking dog and with ample reaction time due to the hesitation, throws fido off and opens fire killing one or possibly all of the family.

After an incident I had where one of my dogs was involved with me I saw just how important it is to make sure that they're as well trained as I am.

I absolutely agree that a dog makes a great burglar alarm (and mine are great at that), but I feel that it would be lax not to point out that an untrained dog could be a terrible liability in certain defensive situations. Say, for example, a family (husband, wife, two kids, and faithful pooch) is at home eating dinner together when maniac violently enters front door waving an AK-47. Now, say dog reacts as most dogs would and lunges at maniac while husband and wife are both still in the process of drawing sidearms. Honestly, in that split second, could you engage the target, possibly killing mans-best-friend in the process, without hesitating or freezing up altogether? I don't know if I could. I would like to think the training would kick in and I wouldn't hesitate, but I can't predict for sure. I know it sounds harsh but it is the reality of the situation. And the result? The maniac, reacting to the attacking dog and with ample reaction time due to the hesitation, throws fido off and opens fire killing one or possibly all of the family.

After an incident I had where one of my dogs was involved with me I saw just how important it is to make sure that they're as well trained as I am.

forget the BG pushing your dog aside and firing, if in fact that dog IS your "first line" are you prepared for him/her to take the first rounds of that AK ? giving you the time to draw!!! having raised/bred Borzoi (Hail Wolfhounds) for 25 years, and being priviledged to have been involved with K-9 teams for the last 10, it bothered me when I saw a post that refered to teaching the dog a few "cool tricks". that military trainer doesnt train dogs to do cool tricks. if the dog is trained in aggression, it is a controlled weapon capabe of killing, protecting and drawing the concentration of the BG so the 2 legger has that extra few seconds in his favor.
as private citizens with your family 4 legger beside you, if he/she gets hurt are you prepared to care for them. do you have an emergency Vets number at hand, do you know any k-9 aspects of first-aid?
I cherish my dogs and it is apparent everyone in this thread does, but be prepared for the worst in this kind of situation for the dogs sake and yours!!!!

While I agree with many of the points raised, my initial post is related to dogs being alert to sounds that we are not. I do not expect my dog to do anything other than what he does now. That is to make me aware when someone is near the house. The rest is up to me.

The scenario presented is an extreme one, and while possible, I rarely see the value in extreme scenarios.

In my case, my dog will alert me way before said maniac busts in the door, at which point he should be far more concerned about my wife and I than the dog.

Just my take on things.

While I agree with many of the points raised, my initial post is related to dogs being alert to sounds that we are not. I do not expect my dog to do anything other than what he does now. That is to make me aware when someone is near the house. The rest is up to me.

The scenario presented is an extreme one, and while possible, I rarely see the value in extreme scenarios.

In my case, my dog will alert me way before said maniac busts in the door, at which point he should be far more concerned about my wife and I than the dog.

Just my take on things.

What about when they're sleeping? Are dogs more easy to wake up than humans? I ask because that's the primary thing I worry about. I'm a heavy sleeper and I'm not sure that on my own, I'd be able to hear someone breaking in, and that's one of the reasons I'm eager to get out of the apartment as soon as I can afford to live in a house. Right now, even with my guns by my side, I still vulnerable when I'm sleeping.

My wife and I are both hard of hearing, so we have two Chihuahua Hearing Assist dogs who go with us everywhere and alert us to sounds and situations we might otherwise miss. My wife's dog, Bearbear, lets us know when anyone approaches the house, day or night. As far as waking him up, he never misses a trick. I have seen him go from sound sleep to full alert mode faster than i could imagine and react to someone's presence before they knocked on the door. Small dogs have one advantage over big dogs in defense situations. A big dog will bark and attack, giving the BG a chance to get his hands on him and possibly kill or injure him. A small dog barks and backs away from the intruder. The mobile home park where we live does not allow dogs, but under federal law (ADA of 1990,) they cannot prevent us from having our service animals.

What about when they're sleeping? Are dogs more easy to wake up than humans? I ask because that's the primary thing I worry about. I'm a heavy sleeper and I'm not sure that on my own, I'd be able to hear someone breaking in, and that's one of the reasons I'm eager to get out of the apartment as soon as I can afford to live in a house. Right now, even with my guns by my side, I still vulnerable when I'm sleeping.

Dogs are much more sensitive to sound then we are. Dogs can be in a sound sleep and as was described be barking at the door in seconds.

We have a young collie mix mutt, and I thought she would be a good notifier of visitors approaching, but she's so dang friendly and quiet that most people end up walking right up to our door with our dog walking alongside like she's theirs! She's raised her hackles and let out a little growl at a couple of people (not that I could hear it from the house if she's outside anyway), but so far lots better as a companion than a watch dog . . . She does get barking easier after dark and sleeps by the front door, so I'm still holding out hope she'd at least make some kind of noise if someone were coming at night.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back