Does one actually "need" FID Card?

To-NH-ASAP

My friend is having a hard time getting a FID card here in NJ because of a anti-gun police chief, etc. He is a pretty smart guy a read a lot of the laws. Here is what he came up with. A N.J. resident, Mr. Doe, intentionally travels to a P.A. or F.L. gun show with the intention of buying a firearm. At said show Mr. Doe buys a firearm from a FFL holder and processes a 4473. (NICS) Then under interstate commerce laws, transports the weapon back to N.J.

At this time (although probably not required) just to cover his but and break the chief's stones, he files a S.P. 650 (Rev. 01/08) "VOLUNTARY FORM OF FIREARMS REGISTRATION". Under section 2 "Lawfully acquired in another state pursuant to state and federal laws; or".

This type of action assumes that Mr. Doe does NOT meet any of the governing laws which would preclude him from legal gun ownership in NJ and the firearm meets NJ laws as well with regard to all applicable facts.

I have reviewed the laws as well, and I can't see how this would be illegal. The question I have is transport. Do you need an FID card to transport? I don't think so. I have not read that anywhere. Of course you must transport properly, but that seems to be about it.

Interesting topic. Please try to quote the law when responding so we are all on the same page.

Thanks,
NH

926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle. Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

This seems like it would work for a long gun. For a handgun, the Federal law requires the FFL in FL/PA/Wherever send the purchased handgun to an FFL holder in your state of residence. A New Jersey FFL holder will require you to show the FID.

Unfettered,
I was referring to transport within the state of NJ. The info you referenced is for interstate transport, correct?

Wolf,
Ok, if it’s not to much trouble, can you sight the chapter and verse with regard to FFL holder having to do as you suggested? I have always “heard” that you could buy a hand gun at a gun show with a 4473 and take receipt of said gun.

Second, what if the purchase was made from a private seller at the same show? How might that changes things?

Thanks.
NH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back