Does Change In Residency Nullify My Previous License?

rplowden

I have a FL Resident CWP. I am active duty and live in TX and due to some circumstances I may be changing residency. Would this completely nullify my FL license or would it be treated as a non-resident license until I got a TX resident license. Both states have resident and non-resident. Not that reciprocity changes much, but I go to SC often and that's one of the states that drops of on both licenses between the resident and non-resident.

Short answer- "Yes". (If you change your address, you nullify your current permit.)

Check you laws to see how much time you have to change things over. Most states require a residency "time" before you can apply for a residential permit.

SC does NOT offer, nor does it "honor" ANY non-resident permits.

States differ on the time you have to turn-in your old permits. But, I think most have some type of grace period after a move. (After-all, you need proof of that change to show for your new permit.)

The good thing is more states are becoming "Free" states; where a permit isn't required. So, depending on where you move, you may not need to worry about being unarmed. However, if you come to SC, you may need to relegate yourself to just keeping a firearm in a closed compartment inside your vehicle; until you get a resident permit they honor.

I'm not a lawyer. But, here's the SC statue link-- Code of Laws - Title 16 - Chapter 23 - Offenses Involving Weapons

Another useful link for you- Link Removed

-

Thanks, I'm aware of the SC laws with regards to not accepting non-resident licenses. I guess the question is, if I become a TX resident, can I use my FL license as a non-resident license? I'm guessing the answer is probably no as you stated.

I have a FL Resident CWP. I am active duty and live in TX and due to some circumstances I may be changing residency. Would this completely nullify my FL license or would it be treated as a non-resident license until I got a TX resident license. Both states have resident and non-resident. Not that reciprocity changes much, but I go to SC often and that's one of the states that drops of on both licenses between the resident and non-resident.
The instant you become a TX resident you will need a TX permission slip to excersize your right within TX.

just file a change of address and your CWFL will remain valid. FLA DOES NOT issue non resident permits, it issues permits to any qualified citizen

And by that he means that it will not say non resident.

It won't say resident either. Florida doesn't make a distinction. As long as you are living in the US (doesn't need to be Florida) and you're not disqualified (felon, etc...), you will get one. It just says "CONCEALED WEAPON OR FIREARM LICENSE -- STATE OF FLORIDA." It's up to whatever state you're in to decide if they'll honor yours. Florida doesn't care if you move out of state (they didn't care if you ever lived in the state) but as pointed out they do require you give them a valid address when you move.

Texas doesn't care if you are a resident of the state that issued your permit or not provided it is a state they honor which does include Florida.

I have a Mass license and a FL non-resident. We are contemplating a move to FL next year so I called the licensing division. They told me to go on line and do a change of address and all will be fine. When it expires in 2018, just do a renewal. No addresses printed on a FL license.

Good points. My FL CWP already has my TX address, so I don't think I actually have to do anything. Good news, thanks!

I have a Mass license and a FL non-resident. We are contemplating a move to FL next year so I called the licensing division. They told me to go on line and do a change of address and all will be fine. When it expires in 2018, just do a renewal. No addresses printed on a FL license.
New licenses and renewals have no printed addresses. There are some out there that do have addresses on them. I think this is the last year that they are valid though. The renewal will indeed, be without it.

I teach Texas CHL Classes. If you change your residency, you may still carry in Tx. We have a reciprocity agreement with Florida. There are a few restrictions with using an out of state license. You may not have a loaded firearm with 1000 feet of a school. With a Tx CHL you can come onto school property but not pass through the doors of the school building (premises).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back