Does anyone see any legal issues with this

I think this video was intended as a joke. However I also see it as a legal issue if someone innocent was ever hurt by the user. Selling a firearm for home defense that's specific use would be for long range. Should these box stores such as Walmart have experienced salesmen selling firearms, or am I looking to much into it? OH and I did send Walmart this video and a message expressing my concern.

This is America, so someone could definitely bring a lawsuit against Wal-Mart for negligence in this case, simply because the sales person is recommending the wrong tool for the job. If you need a scope for a "self defense weapon" then you're not really in any danger, and very likely to end up in an orange jump suit. (As a civilian, anyway) There may be circumstances where that could be used for self-defense, but I don't know why she didn't just hand him a 12 gauge.

This is America, so someone could definitely bring a lawsuit against Wal-Mart for negligence in this case, simply because the sales person is recommending the wrong tool for the job. If you need a scope for a "self defense weapon" then you're not really in any danger, and very likely to end up in an orange jump suit. (As a civilian, anyway) There may be circumstances where that could be used for self-defense, but I don't know why she didn't just hand him a 12 gauge.

No training. And thanks for the input. Since I first view this video it has bother me a little bit. This is how a simple sale of a firearm into the wrong hands could boil over into something really big.

No legal issues with it. If you want a bolt action for self defense its better than nothing.

These foreigners however are just as clueless as the saleswoman. But their primary job is selling, not educating.

First off, I doubt they video knuckle heads are US citizens, probably from Canada judging by the dress, on a day trip in the border states area (Buffalo?). So the fact that they approach the purchase of a firearm as a joke doesn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if that footage shows up in some foreign anti-gun or anti-Walmart doccumentary.

The fact that the woman behind the counter doesn't ask for ID prior to handing them a firearm doesn't surprise me either. She doesn't even ask if they are citizens of the state. They aren't trained on the law. The only thing they are trained on (in some cases) is how and what paperwork needs to be filled out for the sale.

I've been into gun shop s that ask for your ID before they will let you handle a weapon from the case. I asked about it and the counter person told me it was a liability issue. You have the right to ask to see and handle one of the weapons they own and they have the right to know who you are before they hand it over to you.

I didn't think Walmart allowed cameras in the store? Anb YES! their personnel should be trained.

No legal issues with it. If you want a bolt action for self defense its better than nothing.

These foreigners however are just as clueless as the saleswoman. But their primary job is selling, not educating.

Not that it was a bolt action that she was trying to sell but the penetration of the bolt action. going through exterior wall into your next door neighbor house walls.

First off, I doubt they video knuckle heads are US citizens, probably from Canada judging by the dress, on a day trip in the border states area (Buffalo?). So the fact that they approach the purchase of a firearm as a joke doesn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if that footage shows up in some foreign anti-gun or anti-Walmart doccumentary.

The fact that the woman behind the counter doesn't ask for ID prior to handing them a firearm doesn't surprise me either. She doesn't even ask if they are citizens of the state. They aren't trained on the law. The only thing they are trained on (in some cases) is how and what paperwork needs to be filled out for the sale.

I've been into gun shop s that ask for your ID before they will let you handle a weapon from the case. I asked about it and the counter person told me it was a liability issue. You have the right to ask to see and handle one of the weapons they own and they have the right to know who you are before they hand it over to you.

I didn't think Walmart allowed cameras in the store? Anb YES! their personnel should be trained.

You are reading way to much into it. Please read my last response

ind the counter doesn't ask for ID prior to handing them a firearm doesn't surprise me either. She doesn't even ask if they are citizens of the state. They aren't trained on the law. The only thing they are trained on (in some cases) is how and what paperwork needs to be filled out for the sale.

None of that is required by law to simply handle a firearm in a store. If we are going to apply those standards to handling a gun in a store, then they would also have to do the NICS checks as well.

Not that it was a bolt action that she was trying to sell but the penetration of the bolt action. going through exterior wall into your next door neighbor house walls.

Over-penetration is always a concern when shooting anything, anywhere. I think you see a legal issue because she gave them a rifle that may just shoot right through a person. However, it is the responsibility of the gun owner to know how their gun works, and how to use it. Dont forget the safety rule of knowing your target and what is beyond it. If the kid wanted to shoot in self defense in his house with that rifle and the bullet injured somebody else because of over-penetration, it is the shooter's problem, not Walmart's.

If they tried to sue Walmart they would lose. I just do not see this as a defense: "Well the Walmart lady told me I could use this gun in self defense and I didn't know it would go through the bad guy and injure somebody else. The Walmart lady didnt tell me that so Im not responsible!"

I dont see any legal issue resulting from the employee's action and lack of knowledge.

The merits of many "legal issues" are often not the question, wouldn't you agree? A person can find a lawyer to bring any sort of "legal issues" to any person doing anything or nothing. Hell, attorneys make hay out of twisting the simple idea of the 2nd Amendment into a complicated issue thereby making some good folks believe it is beyond the thinking of the typical forum poster. Our own government, full of lawyers, have many good people believing now that we need "good and sensible" gun laws...

Over-penetration is always a concern when shooting anything, anywhere. I think you see a legal issue because she gave them a rifle that may just shoot right through a person. However, it is the responsibility of the gun owner to know how their gun works, and how to use it. Dont forget the safety rule of knowing your target and what is beyond it. If the kid wanted to shoot in self defense in his house with that rifle and the bullet injured somebody else because of over-penetration, it is the shooter's problem, not Walmart's.

If they tried to sue Walmart they would lose. I just do not see this as a defense: "Well the Walmart lady told me I could use this gun in self defense and I didn't know it would go through the bad guy and injure somebody else. The Walmart lady didnt tell me that so Im not responsible!"

I dont see any legal issue resulting from the employee's action and lack of knowledge.

I'm not a lawyer, but if someone took the advise of that sales person from Walmart and they used it for home defense shot at the bad guy in their home, the round penetrates through their wall and goes through their neighbors home wall and kills the baby in the crib, I am pretty sure a lawyer could hold the shooter responsible and Walmart because as a seller the seller should have some basic knowledge of the weapon they are selling. Someone is going to have to explain why that baby is dead.

I didn't hear anything on that video less atrocious than some of the things I have hear in real gun stores myself and have heard others say they have heard in real gun stores.

I didn't hear anything on that video less atrocious than some of the things I have hear in real gun stores myself and have heard others say they have heard in real gun stores.

I would have issues with a gun shop dealer who tried to sell a high powered rifle to someone who wanted something for home defense.

All I'm seeing here is humor.
The clerk knew there was no way these guys were serious and went along with the gag. :)
Comments like "and camouflage so they can't see you, they can't see the gun" show she's got a grip on what's going on.

All I'm seeing here is humor.
The clerk knew there was no way these guys were serious and went along with the gag. :)
Comments like "and camouflage so they can't see you, they can't see the gun" show she's got a grip on what's going on.

If I am mistaken, I am sure someone will correct me. It is my understanding that only a person holding an FFL can legally open the gun racks for customers to examine firearms and then that only those holding an FFL can perform the sale and that all sales have to be IAW federal and state laws.

Just because the person at the counter did not seem to be concerned, does not mean that she did not already suspect that they would not be purchasing a firearm anyway and was simply passing the time while maintaining good customer relations.

Since they speak English pretty well they must be French Canadians ... and it seemed they were about as clueless as the lady behind the counter ... not sure what this video was supposed to be about???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back