Does anyone carry a Black Powder weapon?

nraynes

What is your guys opinion on carrying black powder for a personal defence weapon?
I have a remake of an 1860 navy colt revolver 6 shot .44 cal. percussion cap, and I wanted opinions on carrying it. I'm a fairly good shot at it (don't want to toot my own horn) and am comfortable carrying it but I want to know what you guys think.

How many of you (if any) carry BP or know someone who does?

One problem with carrying an old style black powder firearm like that is you need to unload, clean, and reload it every morning. I’ve never had any experience with them (although I’m thinking buying one later this year), but if you do much research about the old west and in particular the lawmen of the time. There are several stories about how they practiced every morning because they had to unload (which is why they fired them), clean, and reload. This is apparently because moisture gets into the unsealed chambers contaminating the black powder, causing the charge to shrink and possibly lose contact with the firing cap. Along with the simple fact that moisture makes it much or dificult to ignite.

That’s what I’ve read. I am not an expert nor claim to be. (ok I "CLAIM" to be an expert at a lot of things but not this):tongue: I would be willing to "guess" that one day wouldn’t be that much of an issue, but each following day would make it worse.

I would have to ask why. With all the hand guns out there, BP just doesn't seem to be an option. Doesn't make sense to me. But to each is own, I guess. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I don't think it's a good idea. Modern Premium Self Defense Ammunition has made great advances in the last few years or so.

I wouldn't want to give that up.

How stable is modern Black Powder? Can it be relied on two weeks or two months after you load it? If it's humid out the day you load: will that moisture ruin the powder enough to cause a misfire when you can least afford it?

With Modern Premium Self Defense Ammunition I load my .45 and carry it for 6 Months (or more) in the wind, rain, and heat and cold until I buy new ammunition. No worries. I know it will work and I'll have reliable expansion if I need it.

About why, I just love my BP gun. I find it fun, and relaxing to shoot. I also am quite able to shoot it and hit what I am aiming at. I know how reliable they are and all that but I have heard about people carrying them and honestly just wanted opinions on carrying one.

As a person who carried as a job for decades, I can tell you there is a big difference in shooting for "fun" and shooting to stay alive. From experience, ANY gun you carry is not big enough when bullets are coming towards you. I love percussion too, and they can be loaded waterproof if done right. There are many stories of percussion Colts found 50-75 years after loading that went off and still killed someone. In the old west most guys, good and bad wasted no time switching to faster loading and waterproof cartridge guns. (Yes I know Wild Bill stuck with his Navies but he got killed.) They were to busy staying alive to have fun. Have fun with targets and bunny rabbits. Don't have "fun" with your own life or that of your loved ones. Also, being shot at is NOT relaxing, you will be puckerd at both ends. It is easy to hit the target when it's not shooting back, you don't have tunnel vision, and adrenalin is not gushing through your body. Death is not a game.

Just my own two cents:

I have the 1858 colt replica, and feel the same as you do, it is a great gun to shoot, and has an awesome track record. (Dispute that with facts, someone.)

I have mine as an easy access vehicle gun for the times when I am seated and it is more difficult to get at my IWB gun.

As to the stability and consistency of shots from BP, I live in Iowa, and go from hot and humid to freezing...
My pistol has been loaded with the same charge for as long as 7 months in those conditions, and when taken to the range to discharge, has never failed to do so.
The only big precaution I take is to be sure that I seal the cylinder with grease and that keeps out the moisture.

Just be sure to never use petroleum oils or cleaners with it, that is a major contributor to any problems folks find with these guns.
Treat them the same as you would a cast iron skillet (proper seasoning with natural oils and greases, like bore butter) and it will last just as long.

Sir if you feel comfortable carrying your Black Powder gun for self-defense, more power to you. Black Powder guns were used for self defense for many, many decades.

Are they the most efficient firearm, no. Are they the easiest to conceal, no. But they are certainly better then a rock in a self-defense situation.

Like any firearm, maintain the gun in optimal condition so that when you need it, the gun will be there for you.

Let us know how it goes.

I have used and shot BP revolvers for many moons in my younger days, but never relied on one for SD / HD.

Main reason is the propensity of black powder to draw moisture. The biggest buck I have ever had in my sights almost laughed at me when my Kentucky Rifle just went "pop" as the cap went off, and nothing else happened. I had loaded with a fresh load and cap that morning and due to a misting rain, the powder was ruined. Better to lose a buck than to have a gun that won't shoot when a BG is determined to take your life.

IMHO, have fun with your black powder weapons ~ just don't rely on them for the very serious job of self-defense.

It's a free country or at least it was until the 2008 presidential election, LOL! I believe that a law abiding citizen should be free to carry the firearm of their choice for personal protection as prescribed in the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I'm a student of the history of the American frontier, own black powder and single action firearms and enjoy shooting them with the Single Action Shooting Society. Regardless, I can't think of any good reason that I would carry anything other than a modern firearm for personal protection. As someone who's carried a variety of firearms in the military and law enforcement I want the very best quality and most dependable weapons that I can get my hands on. As a LEO I've seized some pretty quality weapons from criminals including fully automatic assault rifles and submachine guns. There is no such thing as fighting fair on the street. When the chips are down I want the maximum amount of firepower available.

I'm not planning on trading my 1911 for a cap & ball revolver. But some of those were good guns in their time.

One thing about those old timers who had to fire their six shooters dry each day, clean then reload: They got six shots of practice each day, 180 shots per month. The became very familiar with their weapons.

Hamilton,

I agree with you. There were many excellent firearms during the 19th Century and the people that carried them practiced routinely and fired these weapons to defend themselves. Regardless, I maintain that it's more prudent to carry the most accurate, dependable and powerful firearm that is currently available.

A five year FBI study conducted by The Force Science Research Centerentitled "Law Enforcement Involved Shootings- Research on Circumstances" revealed the following about the violent criminals in America.
Among other things, the data reveal that most would-be cop killers:

Criminals often show signs of being armed that officers miss; have more experience using deadly force in "street combat" than their intended victims;

Criminals practice with firearms more often and shoot more accurately. Studies show that many criminals have been "packing" a gun since their early teens.

Criminals have no hesitation whatsoever about pulling the trigger and many have been in more gunfights than the cops (or certainly law abiding civilians).

"If you hesitate," one told the study's researchers, "you're dead. You have the instinct or you don't. If you don't, you're in trouble on the street.."

This is the link to a reprint of the article:

Law Enforcement Involved Shootings Research On Circumstances - Patriot Action Network

My point is simply that the bad guys routinely get the jump on some of the best trained law enforcement professionals in the country. Civilians need to be just as prepared and vigilant as cops in protecting themselves and their loved ones. I believe that part of being prepared is carrying the best firearm that you can afford and learning how to use it proficiently.

Hamilton,

I agree with y.....
Criminals have no hesitation whatsoever about pulling the trigger and many have been in more gunfights than the cops (or certainly law abiding civilians).

"...it isn't always being fast, or even accurate that counts.
It's being willing...." John Bernard Books

Last edited:
I love shooting BP. But I would not carry it every day. I could probably conceal a short barreled Colt as easy as my 1911. The cleaning and care is a little more than I want to do on a daily basis. You carry what works for you! For example, I had a heck of a time hitting the middle with a Glock. (They make a good gun and many folks carry them.) I score much better with my Walther P99. I was still off a little during IDPA. However, when I picked up the 1911, that was it. It isn't about history or anything goofy. It is only the fact that I can put em in the middle when I have to.
YMMV.

Bad Idea dude. too many things can go wrong. powder gets wet from rain or condensation just going from A/C to outside,(seen it happen). YOU MUST leave the hammer on an empty chamber for safety because the cap can be detonated by bumping the hammer so you are down to five shots. You say you have shot alot so ask yourself how many times you have dropped the hammer on a cap and it did not go BOOM. I can't remember how many times I have done it, but it is common with cap and ball.
Just a real bad idea unless its the ONLY weapon you have available. In that case I would say carry it by all means.

It's not the only one I have, just one of few and I just wanted opinions and thanks to you guys I think I will carry my Llama and I was leaning to my llama more anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back