Does a Gun Free Zone change your choice of health care provider?

Does a Gun Free Zone change your choice of health care provider?

• No, I go where I get the best care.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Yes, I like to seek care where my rights and health are protected.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

BUmmedic

A follow-up poll... again, please answer honestly. Obviously, in an emergency, you probably won't be given the choice.

I've never seen a "no firearms" sign in a doctor's office or even a hospital, although there are probably some, they just aren't very common.

In some states it isn't a choice because their state laws prohibit firearms in a medical service facility. those anti-gun states apparently want to create as many gun-free zones under state law as they possibly can.

My hospital and clinic, and I think all the local consortium-type facilities, are posted. Unfortunate. From the discussions I've had, there are many firearms locked in vehicles in the parking lot. Uneccessarily (IMHO) far away should an active shooter situation arise.

I answered no however none of my doctors have a gun buster sign. When it comes to healthcare getting the best is most important.

Don't want to take my gun in to see my doc or we'd spend all day talking ballistics instead of my health. :laugh:In otherwords, not an issue here. Med facilities are too far apart so you don't have a choice anyway, and the ones that are here don't freak out over the sight of a gun.

A follow-up poll... again, please answer honestly. Obviously, in an emergency, you probably won't be given the choice.

In my state, it is illegal to carry in any facility that provides medical care without permission from the administration. So I really don't have a choice, sign or no sign. However, if it were up to me I would always choose a 2A friendly hospital or clinic over one that prohibits firearms.

Despite recent changes to mag capacity, NY has no laws against carry in a med office or hospital.

Nearly all clinics and hospitals in my area are very clearly posted as "no gun." I would prefer if it was not that way, but it is. I came across one hospital in the area about 6 months ago that was not posted (don't know if it is still that way), but my doc doesn't practice there anyway.
Most people are constrained by insurance requirements, who their doc is & where they practice, etc. I cannot make my health care decisions based on whether I can carry on the premises or not, at least not where I live now. If I tried, health care would be extremely difficult and perhaps prohibitively expensive (outside insurance coverage). If I actually had a choice, then I would choose a health service that didn’t reflexively ban the presence of firearms.
There are plenty of times as a patient where it is absolutely inappropriate for you to carry in a firearm. Depending on what type of care you need, what type of procedures or tests will be done, your state of undress, how you will be moved from one location to another in the facility, etc., you may be totally unable to guarantee the security of your firearm. People lose consciousness all the time for all kinds of reasons at medical clinics. You want your firearm on you then? There are a lot of very good reasons that I can think of as to why a clinic or hospital would not want patients coming in with firearms.
Having said that, I would prefer that the docs & nurses & other employees had the option of either carrying or keeping a secured firearm close at hand where they work. I would also prefer if non-patients accompanying or visiting patients not be prohibited from bearing arms.

Where I am, nearly all hospitals are posted (signs do not have force-of-law) but most Dr. offices (that do not practice in Hospital-owned buildings) are not posted. Given a choice as a hospital visitor I'd rather be allowed to carry. If I'm scooped into an ambulance unconcious and transported in an emergency situation, somebody is likely to find that I'm armed somewhere along the aid and treatment process. Just hope they know enough to keep their bogger hook off the bang stick.

This poll and question was a tad myopic on my part, and I apologize. I should have phrased it... all things being equal, if your health care or insurance provider/clinic had multiple locations nearby, and some were posted and some were not, would it change where you choose to seek care? I am learning on another board (state-based), that most, if not all, of the health care facilities in my state are posted, so people there are having a hard time managing the poll options. Thanks anyways, guys and gals.

I answered no. Hospitals around here don't have posted gun signs. At least I've never seen one. My Doctor doesn't have a no gun sign either. As a matter of fact the only no gun signs are Post Office and Fed buildings. Haven't seen any others here.

None of my doctors offices have ever been posted but on the rare occasion I do go to the doctors I usually just bring in my ankle carry. When I go to the doctors I'm usually not in the mood to discuss politics and in case the doctor I see happens to be a left leaner I'd rather just avoid the annoying conversation of having to explain to him why I have a gun when he asks me to take my shirt off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back