Deer ticks & Lyme Disease

wizrd

Upstate central NY seems to be having an infestation of deer ticks. SOME of these carry lyme disease.
This can be very serious if not noticed for a while, or left untreated. In the past two years I've taken three deer ticks off me after short trips in the woods. A local veterinary identified them as deer ticks, and I watched the bite site for several days.

A good friend had the misfortune of contracting lyme disease here in upstate NY a few years ago while deer hunting. The tick & bite area had gone unnoticed for a while & developed into full fledged lyme disease. The bad news is this manifests itself in acute arthritic-like symptoms after a while, and there is really no relief to be found from any drug treatment after it becomes active. The lady involved now has about two or three 'good' hours in the morning, during which she is able to function normally -- then it's almost impossible to move because of excessive joint pain. Requires complete, total rest & relaxation for several hours for her to recover. Her mobility & strength is severely limited. This was a lady who never had any trouble dragging her own deer out of the woods alone. An accomplished gun & bowhunter, now relegated to walking assisted by a cane & unable to spend a full day in the woods. Just a heads up if your areas are known to have Lyme disease.

Upstate central NY seems to be having an infestation of deer ticks. SOME of these carry lyme disease.
This can be very serious if not noticed for a while, or left untreated. In the past two years I've taken three deer ticks off me after short trips in the woods. A local veterinary identified them as deer ticks, and I watched the bite site for several days.

A good friend had the misfortune of contracting lyme disease here in upstate NY a few years ago while deer hunting. The tick & bite area had gone unnoticed for a while & developed into full fledged lyme disease. The bad news is this manifests itself in acute arthritic-like symptoms after a while, and there is really no relief to be found from any drug treatment after it becomes active. The lady involved now has about two or three 'good' hours in the morning, during which she is able to function normally -- then it's almost impossible to move because of excessive joint pain. Requires complete, total rest & relaxation for several hours for her to recover. Her mobility & strength is severely limited. This was a lady who never had any trouble dragging her own deer out of the woods alone. An accomplished gun & bowhunter, now relegated to walking assisted by a cane & unable to spend a full day in the woods. Just a heads up if your areas are known to have Lyme disease.

This is always good information to share. Proper clothing and having a buddy look over you after you come back from the woods is essential in catching this early. Thanks for reminding all of us again wzrd.

Here's an excellent site on how to prevent ticks from biting you in the first place: CDC - Tick Avoid - On People

This bug is tough to have. In the late 1990's I was treated with I.V. antibiotics for 18 months. Earlier this spring I pulled a couple of deer ticks off. I'm currently back on I.V. antibiotics for the last five weeks. Lyme initially feels like the flu. Body aches, malaise, joint aches, BAD headache, stiff neck, arthritic symptoms. The symptoms wax and wane and follow a 28 day cycle. Many patients feel ill early on but then symptoms disappear. They re-appear a few weeks later. This cycle gets worse each time symptoms return until you're sick all the time. Untreated the bug gets into the heart causing arrythmia, nerve damage and eventually complete AV block. It also affects the nerves surrounding the blood vessels of the brain. Fluctuations in blood flow result and the headaches can be very bad. Cognitive impairments, such as short term memory, also occur.

Lyme is a very bad infection and can be hard to shake. Prevention is the best bet. Visit Stop Ticks on People, providing safe environmental solutions to tick control for info on how to minimize exposure and stop the infections before they get bad. We donated this website to the organization... hey really know their stuff. If your doctor says you don't have this bug just because the blood test is negative, find another doc. Negative tests are incorrect nearly 1/3 of the time. Lyme can require long-term treatment to reach the bacteria in both the blood-borne and cystic stages. If a short course of antibiotics doesn't work and your doc refuses to treat further, find another doc... immediately.

pestilence, one of my favorite subjects :)

deer ticks (blacklegged ticks) can be found on a number of hosts... mice, chipmunks, etc.. along with other ectoparasites.. fleas, bedbugs, etc..

remember not only "field outings" but right at home too...proper exterior exclusion, relocating bird feeders & trimming back trees can be useful in keeping these pests out of your house.

Just a note to add that Lyme disease carrying ticks are not limited to the Northeast as several years ago my uncle contracted it here in South Carolina. Since it is fairly rare around here it took a while for him to be diagnosed properly.

In a related category ticks also may carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I don't know why it is called that but the number one state for cases of it is North Carolina. Just be careful of ticks no matter where you go.

Another thing to remember is that the deer tick is tiny and hard to see. It's about 20% the size of the regular dog tick most of us are used to seeing. It's about the size of a pencil dot so it's important to check carefully. If there are deer in your area, whether it be in the woods or your back yard there can be deer ticks around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back