CZ Pistols

Mountaingoat61

I know this is like asking Which is better, Ford or Chevy but... What are people's opinions/experiences with CZ handguns? I was discussing guns via email with a friend and he told me how great they are, how they compare to other guns but are better in price, etc.

I carry a S&W Sigma .40 (yeah, I know, but it was my first pistol so no comments there) and I'm looking to upgrade plus get my wife a not-quite-compact 9mm. The little 380 pocket guns are just too small, in my opinion so I'm looking at 9's for her.

I mainly would like to know about quality, durability, reliability, etc. and not a bunch of non-related opinions or how great this or that brand is.

Thanks in advance.

Goat

Well I own a CZ-52 semi. It fires a 7.62x25mm round and some loads can achieve 500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

The gun feels rock solid and is well balanced, very accurate. However, there is no double action, so you'd have to carry no round in the chamber and need to rack the slide, carry with a round chambered and need to cock the hammer, carry cocked and locked or cocked and locked with the safety on.

Its not what I would recommend for a good carry gun, hollow points are difficult to find and the round can have a tendency to over penetrate otherwise.

However, it would make for an excellent SHTF scenario sidearm, exactly what it's designed for.

They also have a decocker(yes, on a '52 design), however they are notoriously unreliable. As you should with any decocker, aim in a safe direction before using it.

Ok, pardon my ignorance but I don't see the 52 on CZ-USA.com. Are you referring to a pistol that fires a 7.62 round? As in the kind used in AR-15's and other assault rifles? I can't say I've ever seen/heard of that. Seems like that would kick like a mother. :)

I carry a GLOCK 30, most tend to be "afraid" of the 45,............. im not sure why! I use "power ball" ammo/ I just believe in "bigger hole, bad guy bleeds faster"

Ok, pardon my ignorance but I don't see the 52 on CZ-USA.com. Are you referring to a pistol that fires a 7.62 round? As in the kind used in AR-15's and other assault rifles? I can't say I've ever seen/heard of that. Seems like that would kick like a mother. :)

AR15 fire a 5.56 /.223 round AKs fire a 7.62X39

I own several CZ (75B, RAMI, 82. 452) they are all quite reliable they all have DA/SA capability (except the 452 which is a rifle) and they are all quite accurate. You may want to ask your question on THR.us or czforums.com for a more rounded answer.

Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

You should look at the Walther/S&W 99 in 9mm. It's a good size for a lady's hands, light weight, and reliable.

I carry a GLOCK 30, most tend to be "afraid" of the 45,............. im not sure why! I use "power ball" ammo/ I just believe in "bigger hole, bad guy bleeds faster"

And again, not asking for opinions on other brands... just wondering about CZ's

I know this is like asking Which is better, Ford or Chevy but... What are people's opinions/experiences with CZ handguns? I was discussing guns via email with a friend and he told me how great they are, how they compare to other guns but are better in price, etc.

I carry a S&W Sigma .40 (yeah, I know, but it was my first pistol so no comments there) and I'm looking to upgrade plus get my wife a not-quite-compact 9mm. The little 380 pocket guns are just too small, in my opinion so I'm looking at 9's for her.

I mainly would like to know about quality, durability, reliability, etc. and not a bunch of non-related opinions or how great this or that brand is.

Thanks in advance.

Goat

CZ's are very well built pistols. The Czechs were making Mauser rifles under contract at the Brno arsenal for decades and are known for innovative firearm designs (ie., the BREN gun was a Czech design originally). In a nut shell, they don't build junk. Eccentric at times, maybe, but not junk. All the CZ-75's and it's variants that I've shot over the years were well built guns. Some of their compact guns a bit too bulky for my taste (like the CZ 70 and the CZ 83) but all of them that I've fired were pretty accurate and very reliable.

I've got my eye on a couple of their guns that I plan on eventually adding to the collection.

I have never shot one, or even found one to hold, but from what I have read it is a very reliable brand of guns. I'm working my way to a Browning Hi Power, so I was going to buy the CZ 75 (Browning Clone) to see how I like it.

The CZs are, indeed, fine guns. I own 6-8 of different models. I have never had any complaints on them - reliable, sturdy, accurate. I particularly like the semi-compact as a carry gun. It is not light, but the ergonomics are great, it's very accurate and it sits well in a minimal holster on my hip.

Regards,

Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy"
Õ¿Õ¬
-----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------
Desert Mountain -- Scottsdale, AZ
The Cliffs, Keowee Falls South -- South Carolina
NRA Life Member
Photos: Link Removed
-----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------

I own the CZ P-01 (also named CZ 75D compact) and it is a fantastic pistol. I have around 1,000 rounds through mine and I hve had no issues with it whatsoever. It is also a very accurate handgun. I've read posts by others that criticize the trigger but I have no issues with it.

The P-01 is a compact, polymer frame 9mm. It typically comes with two 13 round magazines. Size wise it is compaable to the Glock 23 and the Sig p239. I also have a Sig p226 (larger) and a Kahr MK9 (smaller) chambered in 9mm, but the c is my favorite.

About the only issue is that the felt recoil is a little higher than other 9 mm weapons that I've fired. Not unmanageable, just higher. This is mostly with defensive ammo that you can really notice a difference.

Overall, it's a fantastic handgun, with excellent accuracy, very good capacity and reasonable concealability.

The CZ is a well built, accurate pistol that feels just right in your hand when shooting.
I have also shot & own Bul Cherokees & IWI Jerichos that are CZ clones & have a lot of interchangeable parts (not trying to promote other weapons, it's just that they are basically CZs) & have fallen in love with the platform.
That being said, you might want to look at the CZ, Bul, & Jericho for price comparison. Either way you can't go wrong.
The CZ forum is also a great resource for info. You might also want to visit www.941forum.com

I went for double trouble by adding a 75- SP-01 tactical & the 75- P-07 duty (both 9mm) to my collection.
The SP is one SMOOOOOTH mutha to shoot, while my P-07 suffers to some extent from the polymer kick, most undoubtedly due to the loss of weight from the polymer frame. The size is great tho, not too big & not too small and at 16 rnds in the mag its a force to be recond with. I have less than 100 rnds thru it so i can't give ya much of a indepth report on how it shoots just yet but a buddy of mine has the old 75 compact & says its more like the SP's (not suprising due to the added weight of the all steel design) but thats always been the trade-off...
The P-01 looks like another great alternative.... it holds a respectable 14 rnds
Bottomline, can't go wrong with any CZ !!

PAST/OLD:
I own the older model CZ-52 which is a C&R (Curio & Relic) firearm. Never any problems except when I tried out some very old ammo with bad primers. Mine works great and even has a functional decocker. It's a quality firearm, built like a tank with a funky rolling block action. Shoots a hot, flat shooting round, but a little heavy for CC. It's shown here after I switched the old original bakelite grips in favor of the Hogue "Exotic Wood" grips:
WadesCollection6-11-06009.jpg

PRESENT/MODERN:
I also own the CZ-75 P-01 Compact.

I used the mod directions I found on the CZ forum to make the wrap around rubber Hogue grip for the full size CZ-75 fit the compact CZ (at that time Hogue didn't yet make one for the P-01), and it works absolutely great! Gave the gun a whole new level of stability, contol and comfort in my hand.

It has a fixed barrel and is very accurate for a compact. Mine is in OD green. I would recommend the pistol as I have had no malfs or problems of any kind since I bought it over 4 years ago. And at $400, it was a great value for the pistol IMO.:cool:

With the std grips:
RIATac0331007.jpg

After changing to the Hogue:
CZ75PO1005.jpg

I have a CZ 40 i got in a trade that I didn't really want. It works well and fired flawlessly no matter what ammo I used. It feels good in the hand for sure, it is solid and just seems to feel right. The downside is that it is just way too heavy for CC. It is on my parent's nightstand as a home gun now.

My P-01 is all metal, comes with 2x 14 rounder. I never knew P-01 has a poly frame version.

I own the CZ P-01 (also named CZ 75D compact) and it is a fantastic pistol. I have around 1,000 rounds through mine and I hve had no issues with it whatsoever. It is also a very accurate handgun. I've read posts by others that criticize the trigger but I have no issues with it.

The P-01 is a compact, polymer frame 9mm. It typically comes with two 13 round magazines. Size wise it is compaable to the Glock 23 and the Sig p239. I also have a Sig p226 (larger) and a Kahr MK9 (smaller) chambered in 9mm, but the c is my favorite.

About the only issue is that the felt recoil is a little higher than other 9 mm weapons that I've fired. Not unmanageable, just higher. This is mostly with defensive ammo that you can really notice a difference.

Overall, it's a fantastic handgun, with excellent accuracy, very good capacity and reasonable concealability.

As has already been stated, it fires a shortened AK round, although the end is not as pointed.

The recoil is actually quite manageable and accuracy is spot on. The fireball and report are really noticeable when firing this gun and if you did miss by chance, you'll scare them to death.

If you can find one for sale, they go for about 225-250.00.

I think you may be looking for something a little newer though.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back