Coping with different triggers?

decotriumph

My Ruger LC9 (that I won on this forum!) has a rrreeeaaalllyyy long trigger pull, as in I almost wonder if I have a bad cartridge before it finally fires the first time I shoot it each time I go to the range. On the other hand, my S&W M&P40 almost feels like a hair trigger after shooting the LC9. I've finally figured out a drill when going to the range and shooting multiple guns. I start with the one with the most sensitive trigger and work my way progressively to the one with the longest pull.

Today I went to the range with the M&P, the LC9, and my S&W Model 28-2 revolver. I started with the M&P, then the revolver, and finished up with the LC9. That progression was a lot more comfortable. The pull on the revolver is in the middle as far as sensitivity and length of pull. And I'm finally getting the hang of the LC9 to the point that I'm getting pretty accurate with it.

You're talking about two completely different mechanisms on the two pistols. The S&W is a striker fired pistol while the Ruger is a traditional double-action only design. Of course the M&P is going to have a shorter pull. As for the revolver, S&Ws have one of the shortest double action pulls of any.

My KelTec P11 gave me the same issues when I first got it. The trigger pull is extremely long on it. One thing that I did, that I don't know will work on the Ruger, is that I used a piece of a regular pencil eraser, a black one, to stop the over-travel on the trigger stroke. I simply superglued it inside the trigger guard behind the trigger. A few rounds of dry firing and filing it down got it to where the pistol will absolutely go bang every time but the over-travel is significantly shorter than it was.

If you're not comfortable doing that, don't. But, if you are, it is a simple modification that can make a noticeable difference.

Having a double action only too, it takes practice to get used to it and get accurate, as far as pulling the trigger and not the entire gun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back