Considering a trade?

BigSlick

I have been offered a trade. Kinda leaning towards this only because I really want this rifle. So here's the deal.
This guy wants to trade me (an even swap) of 1000 rounds of 5.56 ammo for a new 22. Magnum Henry Golden Boy lever action rifle.

Does this sound like a good deal? Part of me says don't do it and keep the ammo but the other part of me that wants the rifle says yes. I would still have plenty of 5.56 ammo left.

Tough call...........
I'd not let go of any ammo right now but if you say you'll have plenty...........why not? It's a nice rifle.

Edit:

/.
I'd look at it this way- Consider the fact that you may never have any more ammo than you have right now......ever.
And that is a real possibility now.

Look at it another way. Do you have any other .22's? If the answer is yes, I'd say keep a hold of your stockpile of ammo. The ammo will only get costlier if you can get it at all. A .22 is IMO a necessary tool to have, so if you don't have one, the Henry Golden Boy is cream of the crop. However, if you have the cash, I'd go out and buy a Henry Golden Boy and keep your stock of 5.56. There's a reason he wants to trade.... HE CAN"T FIND THE AMMO!!! And if he can't... hmmmmm... there's a point here somewhere. *wink*

I agree with Wolf_Fire.....Hang on to your 5.56 ammo, I haven't seen ANY!!! .22 ammo on my local stores in six weeks, 5.56 is hit and mis and what stores do have it they are limiting sales to two boxes per person. No telling what is going to happen over the next few months.

Ammo is in short supply RIGHT NOW - it will be available - it has NOT gone the way of the dinosaurs! I'd trade for that Golden Boy in a second.

Thanks for the replies. I purchased a Henry .22LR several years ago for my sons to learn how to shoot. It's a fun rifle and I shoot it more than they do. I have a bolt action box magazine fed .22 magnum target rifle with a bedded stock and free floating barrel with a 3-9x39 scope but its not a practical shooter. It is a rifle that I bought over 20 years ago. It's regulated use is for coyote's which I may add I have taken a few with it. Coyotes are damn sneaky around these parts and about 100 yards is as close as you can get to them before they are spooked and take off which is why I have a scope on it but I am not a big scope fan as I prefer iron sights. I have always wanted a lever action .22 mag since the 80's when a friend of mine in high school had a Winchester lever action .22 mag. It was a great shooter and I fell in love with that rifle. That to me is a more practical/keep behind the door every day shooter. The 22 magnum is an excellent varmint round and has more energy at 100 yards than the .22LR has at the muzzle and is quite effective at 100 yard plus range.

I am still on the fence about the trade. Still deciding on which way to jump. Over the years and much to my wife's displeasure I have squirreled away a impressive stock pile of ammo and reloading supplies so if it all disappeared off the shelf tomorrow which it appears to have done in recent weeks I'm still good to go. Still hoping that in six months or less all this ammo buying frenzy will come to an end. If it doesn't and things continue like they are by the end of this year ammo could be worth more than gold.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back