Connecticut breaks from China, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq

Uh, yeah . . . life sentences and rehab work real well. Wasn't it just this week, that Charles Manson lost another parole hearing? How much taxpayer money has been spent on him over the last 40 years?

Even in a "civilized" world, some people just need a cap to the back of the head and removal from the gene pool.

Harder

I'll go with Harder on this one, for 3 reasons:

1) Harder's right. Some folks just don't belong in society.

2) States spend somewhere - depending on the state - between $30k and approaching $100k per year per person for prison. But if we can't or won't ever let these guys back out into society, why pay that kind of money for decades?

3) I think leaving a man or woman in prison for life is just plain cruel. They sit in there and just rot, with no hope inside of ever getting out if they ever do 'see the light' or decide to change their ways. What kind of society is meaner to its criminals than they were to their victims? Life sentences are just slow mental and emotional torture, albeit usually without screaming. Killing them is more merciful.

One thing that can be said in favor of the death penalty that, in my not so humble opinion, outweighs any argument against it....

Once dead the criminal will never ever even have a remote possibility of doing the same thing to another innocent person.

This is why nogods doesn't carry a gun, he has a bottle of bubbles in his holster to blow while he dances around the guy raping his significant other. Because killing is always wrong unless you are the perp. Criminals should have a long life to allow them to remember the look in their victims eyes as they beat/burned/choked/poisoned/raped them to death. Who is society to decide that someone that molests and murders children should pay the extreme price.

We are who we associate with, and no way in hell will I associate with nogods.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

We euthanize animals when they're sick. We should be able to execute humans that commit the heinous of crimes and cannot live in decent society. Just because Iran has the death penalty does not make us ANY similar. I can't believe this thread is on a firearms forum...

I live in the state... I'm outraged because the general assembly did not listen to the constituency on this one. Polls in the state showed that 60% of the population wanted to keep the death penalty. ..

Secondly, the hypocrites put in the legislation that the 11 people. Currently ok death row will still be executed. This includes the 2 killers in the petite case. This opens up a door for the defense attorneys to use a "equal protection under the law" argument, and you and I all know they will never see the needle...

This state is slowly becoming comiefornia's illegitimate cousin!

Why is it that those opposed to the death penalty always try to make a comparison between those of us who support it, and foreign countries, usually 3rd world countries like iran and iraq and saudi arabia, and countries that Americans usually view negatively, like China?
The death penalty is a lousy deterent, but it is a just penalty in many cases.
Society owes more to those who live by the rules then to those who kill and maim. The most reasonable argument against the death penalty is the cost. I have read many times that it is substantially more prohibitive to follow the death penalty through to the end, than to imprison someone for life. Somehow, I think both scenarios could have the cost lessened.

There was a time when I favored the death penalty. That was until I realized how often the government fails and the wrong person is convicted of a crime. This link shows 140 such cases where the wrongfully accused were put on death row.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exonerated_death_row_inmates

Far too often the prosecutors want a victory in the courtroom (usually to advance their career) more than they want justice.

The most reasonable argument against the death penalty is the cost. I have read many times that it is substantially more prohibitive to follow the death penalty through to the end, than to imprison someone for life. Somehow, I think both scenarios could have the cost lessened.

I agree, the inmates should be required to work to (at least partially) pay for their lodging and food or they should get none of the extras, whatever they may be.

There was a time when I favored the death penalty. That was until I realized how often the government fails and the wrong person is convicted of a crime. This link shows 140 such cases where the wrongfully accused were put on death row.

<snipped>

Just be careful with such lists and "statistics". Because this list shows that 140 cases were overturned does NOT demonstrate that the person was not guilty. I looked at many of the references and saw that, while the person was probably guilty, their convictions and sentences were overturned because of some prosecutorial mistake, an error by police in collecting evidence, recanting statements of witnesses, and so on. The list, while it may be accurate in that these people had their sentences reversed, makes no mention of their innocence or guilt. By its nature, though, it seems to suggest that these were "innocent men", wrongly convicted and persecuted by the government.

The lesson to learn is that statistics can be misleading, often on purpose, in order to further a cause or position. In order for this referenced list to have validity, we would need to examine the reasons for the reversal or commutation. To use a broad stroke and conclude that these people were innocent or wrongfully convicted is not valid. Yes, there are mistakes made - especially by police and prosecutors. Their behavior and evidence must be perfect. If it is less than perfect, a conviction is likely to be overturned, even when the person is clearly guilty. In some case, reprosecution is impossible because evidence was destroyed or witnesses have died.

Let's assume that one of these convictions and exonerations was due to questioning the suspect before advising of Miranda Rights, and the conviction overturned. Let's also assume that there was video of his confession and video of his crime. This criminal would appear on this list because of a prosecutorial error and not because he was innocent. Yes, this is a simple "straw man", but I wanted to make the point that the list alone demonstrates noting.</snipped>

Far too often the prosecutors want a victory in the courtroom (usually to advance their career) more than they want justice.

I agree, the inmates should be required to work to (at least partially) pay for their lodging and food or they should get none of the extras, whatever they may be.

I completely agree that the justice system is broken, but you are suggesting the wrong fix. The system needs to be put back in a state where the focus is finding the truth and holding people accountable, not filling the wallet of so many lawyers.

You are mentioning 140 cases where people where incorrectly put on death row and want to abolish the DP because of that fact. Lets look at other cases, say the HiFi Shop murders that happened in My home town.
Hi-Fi murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How did those men deserve anything but the death penalty. And I would feel 100% comfortable saying that there are many people just as evil in prision right now. Now if libertards like Nogods could find a way to release said people from prision and have them only prey upon said libertards I think we could work something out. But in the meantime Fix the System not the Death Penalty. It has its place when appropriate.

My error. In a hurry when I wrote the previous post I did not read the details of the link I posted. What I was after was the list of death row inmates who were were later cleared with DNA evidence. The link to that list is below.

Link Removed

My first link was not totally wrong because the 17 people listed in the second link were all listed in the first, also. I'm certainly not convinced this second list at all a conclusive list of innocent people having been railroaded or otherwise wrongly imprisoned or even wrongly executed.

There is no doubt that for many murderers the death penalty is the right and proper action. Unfortunately, I don't see a clear way to prevent these "errors" from continuing. I don't trust government to fix it. And I certainly don't want to be the guy sent to the gas chamber because I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I completely agree that the justice system is broken, but you are suggesting the wrong fix. The system needs to be put back in a state where the focus is finding the truth and holding people accountable, not filling the wallet of so many lawyers.

You are mentioning 140 cases where people where incorrectly put on death row and want to abolish the DP because of that fact. Lets look at other cases, say the HiFi Shop murders that happened in My home town.
Hi-Fi murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How did those men deserve anything but the death penalty. And I would feel 100% comfortable saying that there are many people just as evil in prision right now. Now if libertards like Nogods could find a way to release said people from prision and have them only prey upon said libertards I think we could work something out. But in the meantime Fix the System not the Death Penalty. It has its place when appropriate.

We can fix the system, we just don't have the guts to do so.

All we have to do is enact a law that says if a person is wrongfully convicted and put to death, then the judge, the jury, and the prosecutor all get put to death as well. fair is fair. An eye for an eye.

Here's an interesting thought . . . many won't agree, as they believe life is too precious to kill anyone under any circumstance.

Perp is caught red handed on video.
Perp confesses.
Perp goes through at least 2 different mental competence exams.
Perp goes before a single judge to plead his case for leniency.
Perp is sentenced to death.
Perp is executed via .40 cal to the back of the head the next day.

The area in which the system is broken, is you can go through and be convicted now, sentenced to death, and fight it through the system for the next 20-30+ years. It doesn't matter that the perp was caught on video, or confessed, or that there was 5,000 eye witnesses. Given enough time and tax payers money, they will either die of old age or finally find a loop hole to escape the death penalty. Those cases that are not "cut and dry", need to go through the system.

Sadly, here in OR, we have a perp on death row. He has gone through the system and was found guilty and sentenced to death. He admits he did it and wants to die for his crime . . . yet, the governor has delayed his sentence, because the governor doesn't want it to happen on his watch. Now, the perp is suing the state and the governor to force his execution. This is going to cost the taxpayers more money to keep him alive and to fight his lawsuits to force his execution.

We can fix the system, we just don't have the guts to do so.

All we have to do is enact a law that says if a person is wrongfully convicted and put to death, then the judge, the jury, and the prosecutor all get put to death as well. fair is fair. An eye for an eye.

You're right . . . you don't have the guts to fix it!

Read my post!

Caught red handed
Confessed
Mental exam
Judge with hearing
Sentenced
Executed within 24 hours

Stop the BS pussyfooting around the issue! If it's cut and dry, execute in a timely manner. If not, into the current system and try to correct the problems. Remove lawyers from the cases of murders before a judge. The amount of money we waste on legal game playing is horrendous, especially when the case is cut and dry.

Harder I agree with you until the last part where you say he or she is executed with in 24hrs. I feel that if they are found guilty as soon as they leave the court room they go to the basement and execute them. Why wait 24 hrs

Harder I agree with you until the last part where you say he or she is executed with in 24hrs. I feel that if they are found guilty as soon as they leave the court room they go to the basement and execute them. Why wait 24 hrs

To let it sink in and give them time to think about it . . . :hang3:

Here's an interesting thought . . . many won't agree, as they believe life is too precious to kill anyone under any circumstance.

Perp is caught red handed on video.
Perp confesses.
Perp goes through at least 2 different mental competence exams.
Perp goes before a single judge to plead his case for leniency.
Perp is sentenced to death.
Perp is executed via .40 cal to the back of the head the next day.

The area in which the system is broken, is you can go through and be convicted now, sentenced to death, and fight it through the system for the next 20-30+ years. It doesn't matter that the perp was caught on video, or confessed, or that there was 5,000 eye witnesses. Given enough time and tax payers money, they will either die of old age or finally find a loop hole to escape the death penalty. Those cases that are not "cut and dry", need to go through the system.

Agree completely.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back