Concealing while driving for Uber

ryanb25

Long story short I'll be driving for Uber very soon. I've been running through possible scenarios of how I want to carry in the car. Obviously this would be one of the worst scenarios since the threat is going to be behind you or best case right next to you in the passenger seat. I've thought about carrying appendix with a left hand draw because shooting with the right hand would be very awkward and the perp could potentially grab the firearm. However shooting​ with my off hand is clearly not ideal either. I've also considered an ankle holster. Thoughts?

Long story short I'll be driving for Uber very soon. I've been running through possible scenarios of how I want to carry in the car. Obviously this would be one of the worst scenarios since the threat is going to be behind you or best case right next to you in the passenger seat. I've thought about carrying appendix with a left hand draw because shooting with the right hand would be very awkward and the perp could potentially grab the firearm. However shooting​ with my off hand is clearly not ideal either. I've also considered an ankle holster. Thoughts?
I give you tons of credit for working for Uber and wish you much luck. You are at such an enormous disadvantage by having to drive and having a potential assailant behind you.

I would recommend you train on using the steering wheel and brake to turn the element of surprise back to your advantage. Sudden stops in combination with very quick hard turns might give you the chance to get your piece or at least get clear of the vehicle and do so.

In any case, watch your six and keep your head on a swivel. I don't think your gun is your first option unfortunately.

The Place To Be

Carrying on the left side can certainly have its advantage with a threat inside a car, but if you are not a lefty, then it definitely also has its disadvantages. Also, if the threat is outside the driver-side window, carrying on the left side is a disadvantage as well.

Realize that drawing on an already drawn gun (at most distances) or knife (at close contact distance) is a really bad idea. Initial compliance and creating distance or a separation with a barrier before drawing on a distracted or impeded attacker is a better option. Check out the Active Self Protection YouTube channel to learn more about this.

If you ever get threatened by a passenger, your best option is likely to unbuckle you seat belt and exit the car. You certainly want to practice this to make sure you can do this quickly and don't get hung up on the seat belt in the process!

An ankle holster is rather impractical, but you need to try it out. It definitely should be for a backup gun. After all, if you were successful in leaving your car and the person starts shooting at you, how are you ever going to draw your ankle gun? Note that for a left-hand draw, the ankle gun is on the inside of your right leg, and vice versa.

There is also this:

Personally I would recommend cross draw. It is one of the easiest for somebody in the sitting position.

Aside form that, I wish you the best with your job since Uber does not allow firearms in any vehicle being use under their name, either for the driver or the passenger.

Aside form that, I wish you the best with your job since Uber does not allow firearms in any vehicle being use under their name, either for the driver or the passenger.

There is a difference between being able to and being allowed to. Not having it may cost him his life. Having it may cost him his job with Uber. From Link Removed:

We want to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That's why Uber prohibits riders and drivers from carrying firearms of any kind in a vehicle while using our app. Driver-partners or riders who violate this policy may permanently lose account access.

Oh no, not loss of account access! As the saying goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.Link Removed

The Place To Be

There won't even be any judging by 12. Better getting fired from Uber than getting killed would be more appropriate.
Tell it. I hope some Uber driver trying to make a buck doesn't have to pull on some armed idiot passenger. The way this country works they'd end up on trial and not the bad guy(s).

The Place To Be

Thanks for the advice! Makes a lot of sense to focus on getting away from the assailant first. And yeah I was already well aware of Ubers policy and it really wasn't even a question in my mind. This isn't exactly my long term career plan so yeah, I think I'll take my chances of getting fired 🤣. I'm also being very cautious about who I pick up. Where and when I drive etc. So far so good!

If ur gonna drive for uber make sure u have ur own car dont go thru enterprise and rent a car uber never put me to work had me rent a car and held me up for 2 weeks with excuses then Enterprise kept the 350 deposit i gave them because I rented the car and i still have a balance owed of 150
There is a difference between being able to and being allowed to. Not having it may cost him his life. Having it may cost him his job with Uber. From Link Removed:

Sent from my Z981 using Link Removed

If ur gonna drive for uber make sure u have ur own car dont go thru enterprise and rent a car uber never put me to work had me rent a car and held me up for 2 weeks with excuses then Enterprise kept the 350 deposit i gave them because I rented the car and i still have a balance owed of 150

I didn't even know that this concept exist. Renting a car and then using it to drive for Uber seems to really cut into your profits and exposes you to higher risks, as you experienced.

I didn't even know that this concept exist. Renting a car and then using it to drive for Uber seems to really cut into your profits and exposes you to higher risks, as you experienced.
Yep once ur background goes through u can either rent or lease to own. I'd jus advice u to have ur own car that's and 02 and better

Sent from my Z981 using Link Removed

Right hand carry, left hand carry, appendix carry, crossdraw carry, anal carry, bra carry....????

I would submit that the methodology of carry is not nearly as important as having TWO guns. By all means, carry your primary in your dominant side if that is your normal preference...but have a second gun of an effective caliber on your left side that is immediately accessible. You will find that addressing an assailant in the passenger seat, or passenger side back seat is not an exercise in gymnastics or yoga. Just make sure that your right arm is up and out of the way, which it probably WILL be as you will probably be using it to fend off the physical attack of the assailant. You will be at or near contact range when you fire, so addressing your sights isn't even important at the mere inches you would be from your target.

It can be problematic if someone is directly behind you...but sitting in your car and sussing it out will tell you how best to address that eventuality. Also, think about simply telling people...."There is more leg room on the right side, and you will be more comfortable" or possibly "I think someone spilled water on the left side, you might want to sit on the right".

Finally....Uber policy does NOT have the weight of law, nor does a corporate policy trump your RIGHT to survive. Carry on...pun intended.

Do some googling, there are holsters type rigs that mount under the dash. I have a Blackhawk with male/female adapters that allow me to mount my gun on my vest, under my kitchen counter, under my dash, and on my paddle waist holster.

Do some googling, there are holsters type rigs that mount under the dash. I have a Blackhawk with male/female adapters that allow me to mount my gun on my vest, under my kitchen counter, under my dash, and on my paddle waist holster.

So, if he gets threatened and flees, he not only hands over his car but his gun too. Great idea! Car carry has severe drawbacks. One has to handle the gun and move it from the car holster to the belt holster every time leaving the car, and the opposite when entering the car. For my normal weekend grocery shopping trip, that would be handling the gun 8 times vs. 0 times with IWB carry.

The first step to take is to make sure every one puts on seat belts that limits their motion and alerts you if they unhook it never let a single person ride directly behind you tell him you need the area clear to see out the back window if there are four people you dont have a choice. the main thing to watch is that someone doesnt grab your seat belt from behind a try to strangle you ,you can get out of that by releasing your seat to go backwards giving slack to the seat belt getting to a gun in that situation is almost imposible i suggest wearing a neck knife and you can jab it backwards with your strong hand . If they have a gun at your head you should not do anything -but the advantage of ride sharing unlike regular cabs is that the driver doesnt carry $ they may however want to take your car give it to them and get out out of the car keep a spare key on you because they may abamdon the car short way down the road and you will have a key. Mace gel is also a good thing to have if you have a gut feeling that your passenger is trouble dont take him and dont take the ride the ride If you do have a gun dont draw it during the incident wait until you can draw it inconspicuously but dont shoot after the car to try to stop them you will be in trouble I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So, if he gets threatened and flees, he not only hands over his car but his gun too. Great idea! Car carry has severe drawbacks. One has to handle the gun and move it from the car holster to the belt holster every time leaving the car, and the opposite when entering the car. For my normal weekend grocery shopping trip, that would be handling the gun 8 times vs. 0 times with IWB carry.
Well, his scenario didn't involve getting in, and out did it? Actually it is a moot point altogether since uber doesn't allow you to carry, or the passenger to carry. He will need to install metal detectors.

Well, his scenario didn't involve getting in, and out did it? Actually it is a moot point altogether since uber doesn't allow you to carry, or the passenger to carry. He will need to install metal detectors.

You make zero sense. A driver has to get in and out of the car, preferably with a firearm. Even if he carries his primary firearm on his body and has a secondary firearm in a car-mounted holster, the secondary firearm would stay in the car and would make an easy target for a smash & grab job.

We already discussed Uber's policy. What's more important, losing the contract with Uber or losing one's life? There is no way to assure that passengers are not armed. In fact, I certainly would be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back