Concealed Carry Question

old salt

I asked this question on the home forum page but let me ask again on the Pennsylvania forum just to be sure. I moved to Erie PA and I’m now a permanent resident . I just applied for my Pennsylvania LTCF but was told it would take 2-3 weeks. The state I moved from was South Carolina. I have a SC permit and carried a weapon for over five years. I know my SC permit is not honored in Pennsylvania and the thought of not being able to carry for up to three weeks makes me feel very naked and vulnerable. I do however have a non-resident New Hampshire permit that according to everything I can find is honored. The purpose of me originally getting the N.H. permit was so I would be legal to carry when I would visit family in Erie but now that I am a permanent resident can I still carry with my N.H. permit until I receive my PA, LTCF?

Thank you

Well, according to this page, PA honors NH's carry permit: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

I'm not sure if the mere fact of you being a PA resident means you have to have a PA LTCF, however.

Since you are a PA permanent resident, you can carry openly without the LTCF, unless you happen to be in a city of first class (Philadelphia). There are also additional rules while in a vehicle until you have your LTCF.

I hope that helps clarify a little bit.

This post is pretty old but i figured i would share my experience. I recently decided i wanted to get my Carry permit in Pennsylvania... The process is fairly simple. I filled out the PDF File provided by the website and emailed it in with snapshots of the required decrements from my cell phone (I had to show them when i picked up the permit) Total Process took about 14 days, very quick and easy. My family lives in Florida and ill be with them for quite some time so i'm thinking about getting a non-resident Florida license which will cover a good portion of the USA. I should be able to carry from Florida to Pennsylvania, just gotta watch out for South Carolina and West Virginia :)

This post is pretty old but i figured i would share my experience. I recently decided i wanted to get my Carry permit in Pennsylvania... The process is fairly simple. I filled out the PDF File provided by the website and emailed it in with snapshots of the required decrements from my cell phone (I had to show them when i picked up the permit) Total Process took about 14 days, very quick and easy. My family lives in Florida and ill be with them for quite some time so i'm thinking about getting a non-resident Florida license which will cover a good portion of the USA. I should be able to carry from Florida to Pennsylvania, just gotta watch out for South Carolina and West Virginia :)

And Maryland and Washington, DC! Although F.O.P.A. allows for transport *through* those jurisdictions, your transport must follow FOPA's restrictions, and, you cannot carry.

Why West Virginia? With a Pennsylvania resident LTCF your good in West Virginia and in South Carolina you can not CC but you can have it in your cars glove box.

Read the applicable state law. You're good-to-go with that New Hampshire permit whether or not you live in Pennsylvania. (It's all about reciprocity!)

Link Removed

'The following states have entered into formal written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania under section 6109(k) of the Uniform Firearms Act. These agreements provide for reciprocal recognition of valid licenses/permits issued by both states. Recognition in Pennsylvania is based on the individual's issuance of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.'

Best advice-- See sheriff as chup adviced.

also try: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Pennsylvania firearms owners assocation.

It a great site and very helpful. Not only on line but ACTIVE. We rally at the state capital about once a year'.
~GOOD LUCK~
BILL-------------------------------->

How is "Go see the sheriff" good advice? That's probably the worst advice in this thread. Sheriffs and their deputies are about as ignorant of firearm laws as any other LEO in PA. I was told by the in my own county that open carry was illegal. The sheriff's job, other than sitting on his or her ass in an office all day, is to run background checks on people, issue LTCFs, provide courthouse security, transport prisoners from jail to court, and serve warrants. Being familiar with the UFA isn't one of their jobs, though it should be.

No, he'd be better off checking the Attorney General's website; there is a list of approved out-of-state permits and reciprocity list there. And, as much as I hate to say it, PAFOA is probably going to be his best bet for finding accurate firearm information for PA.

Go ask the sheriff. Christ.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back