Concealed carry permit issue

2psnapod2

I am having issues getting a permit. I am a full time RV'er that has set up a mail forwarding address in South Dakota. By doing this, it has given us a residence in South Dakota. We vote and have our drivers license from South Dakota.

I recently was visiting my son in Utah and attended a CWP class there. But while working on the application, saw that I had to have a permit from my state of residence first, in order to obtain one from Utah. This is the problem. Even though I have a South Dakota drivers license, and vote and pay taxes in South Dakota, there permit laws are written in a way that I am not recognized as a permanent resident and can not obtain one from South Dakota.

My questions is, how do I get a concealed carry permit? One from any state or what ever?

Michael Lost in South Dakota!!!!

Either you will have to camp at the same location in South Dakota for 30 days - or apply for the Florida permit:

Florida Concealed Weapon License Application Information - Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

If you visit Washington, you can apply for the Washington CPL anywhere in the state - nothing but the application submitted in person, fingerprints and $55.25 required.

Be advised that it is still illegal to carry a loaded firearm within 1000' of school premises in any state other than the state that actually issued the permit.

Either you will have to camp at the same location in South Dakota for 30 days - or apply for the Florida permit:

Florida Concealed Weapon License Application Information - Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

If you visit Washington, you can apply for the Washington CPL anywhere in the state - nothing but the application submitted in person, fingerprints and $55.25 required.

Be advised that it is still illegal to carry a loaded firearm within 1000' of school premises in any state other than the state that actually issued the permit.
Is this Federal law? Can you cite? I've never heard this before.

South Dakota Statute 23-7-7.1:

Link Removed

23-7-7.1. Requirements for issuance of temporary permit--Time requirement--Appeal of denial. A temporary permit to carry a concealed pistol shall be issued within five days of application to a person if the applicant:
(1) Is eighteen years of age or older;
(2) Has never pled guilty to, nolo contendere to, or been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence;
(3) Is not habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition;
(4) Has no history of violence;
(5) Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a "danger to others" or a "danger to self" as defined in § 27A-1-1 or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent;
(6) Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;
(7) Has had no violations of chapter 23-7, 22-14, or 22-42 constituting a felony or misdemeanor in the five years preceding the date of application or is not currently charged under indictment or information for such an offense;
(8) Is a citizen or legal resident of the United States; and
(9) Is not a fugitive from justice.
A person denied a permit may appeal to the circuit court pursuant to chapter 1-26.

To the OP:

If you get a non-resident permit from another state, it will not be valid for you in South Dakota. South Dakota Statute 23-7-7.4

Oops, sorry, answered a question you did not ask. Yes, the 1000' Federal Gun Free School Zone law is a Federal law, 18 USC 922 (q)(2):

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

(q)
(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

ATF opinion that reciprocity does not count for the exception for permit/license holders, the permit/license must be issued by the same state the school zone is in:
www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

For some reason you are going to have to copy and past the link into your browser.

I actually contacted the Sheriff in the county that I have set up residence and he states that even if I stay in the state for 30 days, in a RV Park, this does not meet the law requirements. How can I get a license if this is the case? I don't have a Drivers License in another state, stopping me from getting one in another state.

I actually contacted the Sheriff in the county that I have set up residence and he states that even if I stay in the state for 30 days, in a RV Park, this does not meet the law requirements. How can I get a license if this is the case? I don't have a Drivers License in another state, stopping me from getting one in another state.

After you have physically resided anywhere in the same County for 30 days, apply for the permit and then appeal the denial if it is denied.

I am having issues getting a permit. I am a full time RV'er that has set up a mail forwarding address in South Dakota. By doing this, it has given us a residence in South Dakota. We vote and have our drivers license from South Dakota.

I recently was visiting my son in Utah and attended a CWP class there. But while working on the application, saw that I had to have a permit from my state of residence first, in order to obtain one from Utah. This is the problem. Even though I have a South Dakota drivers license, and vote and pay taxes in South Dakota, there permit laws are written in a way that I am not recognized as a permanent resident and can not obtain one from South Dakota.

My questions is, how do I get a concealed carry permit? One from any state or what ever?

Michael Lost in South Dakota!!!!

Another alternative would be the Arizona non-resident permit.

Obtain a New Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

If you do not have the training requirement you can look into on-line trainers like:

Arizona Concealed Carry Weapons Permit Class

I am not affiliated with the above or making a recommendation for their services. Google search can be your friend.

Another alternative would be the Arizona non-resident permit.

Obtain a New Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

If you do not have the training requirement you can look into on-line trainers like:

Arizona Concealed Carry Weapons Permit Class

I am not affiliated with the above or making a recommendation for their services. Google search can be your friend.

However, any out of state permit the OP obtains will not be valid in his home state of South Dakota due to South Dakota law.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back