Conceal carry in county library

akost

Anyone know if it's legal to conceal carry in a SC county library or is that considered a government building? Most particularly Spartanburg county.

There is such a thing as a Private Library. Most libraries I know are "Publicly Owned Buildings".

GUNSMOAK.com

Where does it say you cannot carry into a local government bldgs?

I thought it said you cannot carry into the office of a governing body, i.e. state house, governor's/mayor's office, county/council meetings, etc.

Where does it say you cannot carry into a local government bldgs?

I thought it said you cannot carry into the office of a governing body, i.e. state house, governor's/mayor's office, county/council meetings, etc.
You really need to familiarize yourself with the un-Constitutional firearms laws in South Carolina before commenting on them...

SECTION 16-23-420. Possession of firearm on school property; concealed weapons.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post-secondary institution, or in any publicly owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property. The provisions of this subsection related to any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, or other post-secondary institution, do not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

South Carolina Legislature Mobile

Crap...another law passed not correlating to the title.
How does any publicly owned building fall under school property unless it is school owned public bldg.

When the school law passed I thought it had only to do with schools only, not publicly owned bldgs...

BTW - Questioning and commenting which laws are applicable are the purpose of these forums, that's why I ASKED!
Seems they keep on getting by, feels like they are trying to go back the CC laws from 20 years ago.

This is the school section that was in the I was told read..

SECTION 16-23-430. Carrying weapon on school property; concealed weapons.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

(B) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

(C) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. Any weapon or object used in violation of this section may be confiscated by the law enforcement division making the arrest.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-141.2; 1971 (57) 535; 1990 Act No. 579, Section 1; 1993 Act No. 184, Section 48; 2009 Act No. 32, Section 1, eff June 2, 2009.

The "publically owned building" verbiage has been part of the law since - forever. I believe since the law was written/enacted in '96 or '97. This is not new information or new wording.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back