Complete Newbie Looking For First Conceal/Carry weapon. Suggestions?

ahartong

Hello all,

Complete newbie to the C/C world here. Successfully completed my CCDW class, but have yet to turn in my photo and certificate to the sheriff. After doing so and passing the background I plan on buying my first handgun and was hoping the community here could help me narrow down my options.

A buddy of mine has a Springfield XD, 40S&W, 4" Barrel. I have also used a Glock 19 at the local range a few times and enjoyed it. Truth be told I have no idea what I really want and am completely open to suggestions.

I do know that I want something I can mount a green dot sight/flashlight to as this will be more of a home defense weapon and less conceal/carry.

Cheers,

Find a local range that rents gun a shoot some and see what feels good to you

Sent from Glocknut78's iPhone using Tapatalk

This is always a tough question because what might comfortable to me may not be comfortable to you.

I love my XD-s 3.3" but had to get extensions because my pinky was dangling off the grip which is not comfortable to me.

First figure out what you can shoot. If your sensitive to recoil. You might want to go with 9mm (Or .380 ) If manipulating a semi auto pistol seems confusing, You might like a revolver. Renting guns st a range or borrowing a friends is a very good idea. I shot my first handgun with a friends .38, 9mm & his.40. I truly was smitten with the .40, but that's me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Here we go again. Why do people ask what they should buy as a first gun? You need to hold and shoot as many different guns as you can.
A Ruger LCR revolver in .22 Mag or .38 special is a decent home defense. However if you want to mount a light you need a semi-auto.
There are so many good pistols, Ruger SR9, S&W MP9, Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm, and on and on. But first be sure what caliber you can handle.
You can start with a lower caliber and always go higher later. Get something that you can put rounds on target. A lot has to do with how much you want to spend. Just look online at a lot of guns. Maybe ask questions of people about certain guns on this forum? Good luck in making a good decision. :dirol:

I am sure it has been posted, but disregard all the advice you get and go try several yourself at the range. There is no such thing as a perfect carry weapon. The best one is the one you like, can shoot well and will carry. This is something you will have to figure out yourself. If you are truly new to pistols, just remember that a smaller weapon also means it will be harder to shoot well, bring back on target and will limit practice time (for most, not all). You will know it when you find the right one. Borrow and rent as many pistols as you can! Good luck and welcome to the group.

agree with thebrez1. you gotta do this yourself. Opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one. Get out there and fire some iron.

I also agree that you need to try before you buy. When you find what you like crimson trace makes grips with lazers in them that fit most handguns.I like my flash light seprate from my handgun.Good luck , have fun picking a hand gun and practice practice practice and be safe.

...There is no such thing as a perfect carry weapon. The best one is the one you like, can shoot well and will carry. This is something you will have to figure out yourself...

^^^ What he said ... and your first handgun may not end up being your last. Plus you can always put it up for sale. Plan on having available funds for your second and third pistol. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back