Cold Steel City Stick, the "Real" One???

Hamilton Felix

Back when I had the broken leg, I thought it a good excuse to buy a Cold Steel City Stick. I preferred the plain stainless head, but they had a "closeout sale" on the skull head at Special Projects - A Division of Cold Steel, Inc. so I bought that.

More recently, my youngest son took the stick outside more than once while I was not home, and beat the crap out of it on a large rock. I think I'll eventually be able to buff out some of the damage to the head, using a wire wheel. The shaft will never look the same, but it's not as bad as it could be.

Still, I decided I'd go ahead and get the plain stainless steel headed stick I'd wanted all along. But they've stopped making it. Twice now, I've been fooled by product descriptions that have not been updated; I've ended up with the new aluminum headed stick, and had to return it. I learned the hard way to always contact the seller first. I hate the balance of the aluminum headed City Stick. If I was worried about light weight, I'd buy the Slim Stick, but you couldn't pay me to have the aluminum headed City Stick.

Does anyone know where I can find a nice (doesn't have to be new, only clean) plain stainless steel headed Cold Steel City Stick?

The way things are looking now, I may be working with one of my Machinists friends to make my own new stainless head, and just clean up the shaft of my present cane.

my friend and i both have the skull head sticks. he found that the shifter knob from one of his old hotrods threaded right in! you may want to check the local auto parts store for a cool replacement head. i think the one he used was from an old hurst tranny.

Hey thanks! I haven't even gotten around to checking which thread it uses. That's good to know. Must be a pretty common thread.

Hamilton,
1/4-20 is the thread on mine. Bad left knee, use it constantly. Own one with the micarta head also. Friend tells me I look dignified with it. Have to take her word, the trail of broken and warped mirrors do not give me much of a view.

Take care and be safe
pfb

Thanks.
Looks like I've found someone to sell me the plain stainless headed stick I want.
All the more reason to make my current beat up skull headed stick a "project."

Having a Glock19 as a constant companion, the thought of traveling to England and Ireland, no protection, did not feel so good.

Bought a City Stick, plain SS Head. Too heavey, ordered the micarta head. Perfect, having a damaged left ankne made an excuse, legit. First group on plane, weighed nothing, but really hard.

The thought of feeling that stick across the front of the shin, or wrist/arm, brought tears to my eyes, did not feel unarmed any more.

I hear you. Though I still feel NAKED without a gun. Normal dress includes gun and multiple knives.

I'm happy I now have the plain stainless City Stick.

I think I may clean up the skull headed stick and give it to my oldest son. He's one who wears Slayer T-shirts and the skull is more his style. He's 37 to my 57, but an injury in a mill left him missing toes on one foot; so even without the gray that's in my beard, he's a natural for a cane.

I'm still not impressed with the plastic tip cap on the City Stick, and what I find in stores to replace it is even worse. I really like the idea of turning down and inch or so at the tip, then fitting a stainless sleeve the compliments the knob. One could then use the gasket punch at work to make replaceable cork or neoprene inserts - and the tip would be even more effective for defensive use.

Another idea that comes to mind now and then: Cane with pointed tip, custom rubber "crutch foot" which matches up to the tip but is easy to remove. It wouldn't turn the cane into a rapier, but it would become a deadly thrusting weapon. Metal enhanced point would be more effective than just wood or fiberglass, though the latter would go through metal detectors. A metal point would also be nice on ice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back