close call

jjack31

Well good morning, I had a close one this morning. My wife and I live separately while she's in school. I drove in this morning to my rent house. I had taken my carry weapon off on the interstate this morning right before I got home. Anyway, I walked inside to my 1 BR house and there was a man in my bed sleeping! I asked him who the f&$@ he was and ran out to my truck to retrieve my pistol. I guarded the door from behind my truck and called 911. Cops arrived fast and I warned them that I did have a loaded 12 ga with buckshot in the house. Cops went to clear the house and apprehended the SOB. Walked into the house to find my shotgun in bed with him, along with my bow and several knives. I have mixed emotions this morning. I shouldn't have disarmed but am somewhat grateful I did. I guess I am just thankful things didn't turn for the worse. Not only did he ransack my house, he shot one of my fish mounts with my bow.

That's scary.

How did he get in and secure your weapons?

I keep my sidearm with me 95% of the time when not at work.

He threw a brick into my bathroom window and climbed inside. My shotgun was propped up in the corner near my bed. I own several guns, but all but three are in a gun safe at my wife's residence. Two pistols stay in my truck or on my hip. The shotgun Is an old 870 that I use for home defense. I have much more expensive shotguns but chose to leave that one at my rent house. And yes I am like you, I carry when I am not at work because work prohibits it.

What should I have learned? Yeah I should have been carrying, however, I couldve had a bigger situation if I had have been. But I also know that he could have shot me with my own gun had he been awake. Things happen for a reason.

What should I have learned? Yeah I should have been carrying, however, I couldve had a bigger situation if I had have been. But I also know that he could have shot me with my own gun had he been awake. Things happen for a reason.
It's pretty tought to come up with a bigger "situation" than being held hostage, maimed or murdered because you were unarmed and helpless, AND somebody else had one of your firearms. If you don't think it would be good to be armed in THAT situation, I'm not sure when you'd think that it would be a good idea.

At the least, put a bike cable lock through the ejection port of the shotgun, so that it becomes a club without at least minimal effort by an intruder.

I never said it was good to be unarmed. I was on the way to work, which prohibits carrying. The guns were in my truck. I should have had it on me bottom line. However I am glad that things did not escalate into bullets flying. I didn't put this on here to be beat up by perfect people and keyboard ninjas but more so as a reminder to never let your guard down. Plain and simple.

I never said it was good to be unarmed. I was on the way to work, which prohibits carrying. The guns were in my truck. I should have had it on me bottom line. However I am glad that things did not escalate into bullets flying. I didn't put this on here to be beat up by perfect people and keyboard ninjas but more so as a reminder to never let your guard down. Plain and simple.

No offense, but that's what is going to happen, good to hear things turned out ok.

You should have learned that complacency can get you killed. The fact that you believe that had you been armed a "BIGGER SITUATION" could have occurred says a lot about your mindset.

You screwed the pooch, survived like most through blind dumb luck and are upset you're catching flack for posting it on an internet forum geared towards personal self defense firearms ........ :rolleyes:

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician" - Jeff Cooper

Armed or not, retreating from an intruder to call in the police was the right thing to do. No need to turn it violent just because you can. The only thing I would have changed is the "Who the #$%^ are you?" part. Upon discovering there is an intruder it's best to avoid the confrontation if you can.

Thanks for your story. It must have been difficult for you in more than one or two ways. Let the armchair QB's talk, but I'm glad things turned out good for you. Take care and be safe.

Armed or not, retreating from an intruder to call in the police was the right thing to do. No need to turn it violent just because you can. The only thing I would have changed is the "Who the #$%^ are you?" part. Upon discovering there is an intruder it's best to avoid the confrontation if you can.

I'm sorry but I am not going to retreat from an intruder in my own home.

Given the circumstance “run like hell” was probably the OP’s best option but I don’t think pointing out that walking into the house unarmed was a mistake is “armchair quarterbacking”.

I do have to ask, if the OP is pleased that he wasn’t carrying a gun because that might have made things worse maybe the OP shouldn’t be carrying a gun at all.

Treo, if you'd read my previous post, I said I should have been carrying. I was not pleased that I wasn't. I am however grateful that I did not have to shoot. Yes I learned a lesson.

Thanks for the post, perhaps it will jerk some of us back into the reality that one never really KNOWS when one's weapon might be needed.
Glad it worked out OK for you.

Jack.

You have the right mindset, and that is like everyone learns in the carry courses all over the
US that I hope we have all taken, shooting a PERSON is the last resort. Good job and dont let the " keyboard Ninja's " get you down ;);)

He threw a brick into my bathroom window and climbed inside. My shotgun was propped up in the corner near my bed. I own several guns, but all but three are in a gun safe at my wife's residence. Two pistols stay in my truck or on my hip. The shotgun Is an old 870 that I use for home defense. I have much more expensive shotguns but chose to leave that one at my rent house. And yes I am like you, I carry when I am not at work because work prohibits it.

A living example that a gun needs a gunsafe, otherwise it is free for the taking by any intruder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back