[Clarification Request] Non-Resident Permit Walkthrough

jstnptchtt

With the most recent developments in Woollard v. Sheridan, my consideration of applying for a non-resident permit has increased, mostly to facilitate some travel I do to and through the Old Line State. (Not certain, yet, if I will or not, though, considering the cautions regarding an emergency stay being still in the cards.) When I asked them, Maryland Shall Issue® clarified that the electronic fingerprinting was not necessary for non-residents, and a standard, inked, just-like-a-common-criminal card should suffice. That said, I'm curious as to whether or not I've got the procedure down.

1. Complete Link Removed, leaving question 9A blank (per MSI® recommendation)
  2. Have pages 7 and 13 of the application notarized
  3. Get two passport-grade photographs made
  4. Have an inked fingerprint card made up (see Link Removed)
  5. Copy my state-issued ID, both front and back (perhaps not entirely necessary, but at least gives validation to the fact that I am, in fact, not a resident)
  6. Write up a check payable to the Maryland State Police in the amount of $109.50 (above source)
  7. Pack all above materials (notarized application, photographs, fingerprint card, ID copy, and check) and mail to MSP Licensing Division
  8. Sit on my hands for a while

Obviously, I expect the majority of responses to be from non-lawyers, but I want to know if I've missed any key details on this.

Application Fee CJIS FBI Total fee
Handgun Permit (Original) $75 $18 $16.50 $109.50

I believe this is a total cost when you have everything done. As far as I know and have read you only send a check to MSP for $75, the other money is paid separately to the agency you go to for the CJIS and FBI fees.......

Looks to me like MD has seen the handwriting on the wall for some time and has been busy setting up multiple layers of hurddles. If they are forced into defacto "shall issue", they are going to make it as inconvient as possible to get all the pieces together to successfully apply.

1. "Changed the rules" on fingerprinting to "electronic submission" by APPROVED vendors (each sets their own fee), who are NOT as evenly distributed around the state as are State Police Barracks. Why not just distribute the devices to each barracks and KEEP the fees in the MSP instead? MDs assertion that fingerprints "degrade over time" and are "useless after 30 days" directly contradicts what the FBI website says about fingerprints - how DOES the FBI keep all those millions of prints "on file" for DECADES?

2. Looks like MSI correctly advised that electronic submission is not required of non-residents:

Link Removed

BUT, read ALL the fine print - it looks to me like the nonresidents "Fingerprint Card" has to be submitted to the FBI via an "APPROVED FBI Channeler" (and that says "for Departmental Order" requests). Note also that there are "timeslots" involved in the date of the application and the date of fingerprint submission (in the above .PDF)

Link Removed

If you are a frequent visitor to MD, you might just be better off using one of their approved vendors to submit your fingerprints. Heavily concentrated in the DC/Baltimore areas.

Link Removed

Unless the state is awarded yet another "emergency" stay, the window of opportunity opens August 9, 2012.

Best of luck with your application. Please let the Forum know how it turns out.

Link Removed

Lays out "New" fee structure, effective 19 Mar, 2012. AND says that MSP WILL accept "paper" fingerprint cards from nonresidents.

If MD is forced to become shall issue, I would bet they will stop issuing non-res permits. I believe that is at there discretion and cannot be forced to issue non-res permits.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back