Charleston

JoeH

My wife is heading there tomorrow with my daughter to do the tourist thing. I seem to recall that there may be some issues as to where you can carry. They will be going to the slave market and one of the restaurants.

My wife is heading there tomorrow with my daughter to do the tourist thing. I seem to recall that there may be some issues as to where you can carry. They will be going to the slave market and one of the restaurants.

Is the weapon small enough to not be seen during daily movements? If so, who gives a damn what the State says about where you can carry a weapon? If you are unwilling to break the law, disregard what I said.

Not aware of any special restrictions in Charleston, just the normal stuff for SC. Restaurant carry is now legal in establishments that serve alcohol unless posted...same as any other business. Consuming while carrying in the restaurant is illegal. I don't recall seeing many no gun signs in my visits to Charleston and I've been there pretty often. ...and what Bob said, concealed means concealed...

South Carolina has state preemption, so Charleston can not legally be more restrictive than any where else in the state.

thanks all

I recall reading somewhere about how the university property is laid out and something about the aquarium?

We carry here in Columbia. But I would hate to have her find out the hard way that she should have left the gun home...or even worse, find out the hard way that she needed it but didn't have it

Just don't carry and ice pick.

Sec. 21-215. - Carrying concealed ice pick or knife with blade exceeding three inches in length.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry concealed about his person any ice pick, razor, knife, dagger or stiletto, the blade of which exceeds three (3) inches in length.

http://www.municode.com/Library#/SC/Charleston/Code_of_Ordinances/CICO_CH21OF_ARTXWE_S21-215CACOICPIKNBLEXTHINLE

thanks all

I recall reading somewhere about how the university property is laid out and something about the aquarium?

We carry here in Columbia. But I would hate to have her find out the hard way that she should have left the gun home...or even worse, find out the hard way that she needed it but didn't have it

The last time I visited the aquarium it was posted and they were wanding all bags. But, there really shouldn't be any problems as long as she looks for signs.

-

Silly isnt it. I carry a 3.5 inch blade everyday as it is my work knife, a Spiderco Salt. The clasp holding it to my pocket is visible...I guess I am going to knife jail...

It is very silly. I carry a knife whose blade is 2.97 inches because this 3" limit is fairly common.

This is the first I've seen a law regarding ice picks however.

I think one county allows 4" blades. But with CWP, my blade is fine as long as clip isnt visible, which most of the time its not

Just don't carry and ice pick.

"Sec. 21-215. - Carrying concealed ice pick or knife with blade exceeding three inches in length.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry concealed about his person any ice pick, razor, knife, dagger or stiletto, the blade of which exceeds three (3) inches in length."

Link Removed

Heh... I've been breakin' the sh!t out of that one for years. I disregard stupid laws more often than not.

[Title 23 - Law Enforcement and Public SafetyChapter 31 - FirearmsArticle 4 - Concealed Weapon PermitsThe first section we look at is:SECTION 16-23-405. Definition of “weapon”; confiscation and disposition of weapons used in commission or in furtherance of crime.(1) Except for the provisions relating to rifles and shotguns in Section 16-23-460, as used in this chapter, ‘weapon’ means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive),*a knife with a blade over two inches long,*a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

QUOTE=hp-hobo;506263]Huh? What exactly does a CWP have to do with carrying a knife? Do explain...[/QUOTE]
Okay..its part of the cwp law.

[Title 23 - Law Enforcement and Public SafetyChapter 31 - FirearmsArticle 4 - Concealed Weapon PermitsThe first section we look at is:SECTION 16-23-405. Definition of “weapon”; confiscation and disposition of weapons used in commission or in furtherance of crime.(1) Except for the provisions relating to rifles and shotguns in Section 16-23-460, as used in this chapter, ‘weapon’ means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive),*a knife with a blade over two inches long,*a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

Okay..its part of the cwp law.
No, it's not "part of the CWP law". Not in South Carolina. Never has been. No matter what your misguided opinion may be.

"23-31-210 (6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property."

No matter how many times I read that I can't seem to find the word knife anywhere in it. Can you? My suggestion to you is to learn what the law says and perhaps go ask your CWP instructor for a refund as well. Knives, in South Carolina, have exactly zero to do with a CWP. Well, unless they're also a firearm...

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

You need to read what i wrote/quoted as it is south carolina law. Good luck in life. Facts hurt sometimes dont they.weapons definition by state. You get a concealed weapons permit. Do the math or go back to school and get your money back

You need to read what i wrote/quoted as it is south carolina law. Good luck in life. Facts hurt sometimes dont they.weapons definition by state. You get a concealed weapons permit. Do the math or go back to school and get your money back
It looks as though you wouldn't know a fact if it weighed a ton and landed on your head. And if ignorance is bliss you must lead an extremely happy life. Unfortunately, since you have been presented with the facts and still refuse to believe them, you have gone from being simply ignorant to being stupid. 16-23-405 has exactly zero to do with CWP's. Knives are still not "a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension" as defined by Title 23, Chapter 31, Article 4 of the South Carolina Code of Laws - which just happens to be the "CWP law", not 16-23. No matter how many times you type your uninformed and confused opinion it'll still be wrong. I'll try to make it simple for you.

IN THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, KNIVES ARE IN NO WAY COVERED BY OR AFFECTED BY A CWP.

I have presented you with irrefutable facts, backed with a direct quote (and a link to) the applicable statute. If you are either unable or unwilling to grasp this fact, you're the one who is going to need good luck in life.

No, it's not "part of the CWP law". Not in South Carolina. Never has been. No matter what your misguided opinion may be.

"23-31-210 (6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property."

No matter how many times I read that I can't seem to find the word knife anywhere in it. Can you? My suggestion to you is to learn what the law says and perhaps go ask your CWP instructor for a refund as well. Knives, in South Carolina, have exactly zero to do with a CWP. Well, unless they're also a firearm...

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

Though the word "knife" is not used in the above cite, I think there is a phrase that seems to legally cover knives.

SECTION 16-23-405. Definition of "weapon"; confiscation and disposition of weapons used in commission or in furtherance of crime.

(A) Except for the provisions relating to rifles and shotguns in Section 16-23-460, as used in this chapter, "weapon" means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive), a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

I'm not an attorney. But, the last phrase would seem to cover a knife under SC CWP laws. But, I do defer to those more educated on the subject.

-

i tried to warn ya...

Though the word "knife" is not used in the above cite, I think there is a phrase that seems to legally cover knives.

I'm not an attorney. But, the last phrase would seem to cover a knife under SC CWP laws. But, I do defer to those more educated on the subject.

-
Thanx. hopalong will be here soon to throw some snide remark

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back