Changing sights on Shield

chapguy

vanchap
I bought a Universal Sight Pusher so I could change the front sight on my M&P Shield. The sight came out really nicely with no issues. Putting the new sight in, however, has been another story. I've got a Hi-Viz front sight, made for the Shield, that has become terribly chewed up while trying to install it. I've got it part way into the dovetail and the base of the sight is so soft that it's warped and nearly ruined the base. It's for a carry gun so I'm not overly concerned about looks but I do need to move the sight into the center of the weapon instead of leaving it part way in. What can you suggest to get this sight completely installed? I've been thinking about a brass drift punch to finish it but thought I'd ask you guys first. Whatcha got?

If its that hard to put in it is too tight, try gently filing one side of the sight to relieve it some

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you have access to a CO2 fire extinguisher use it to freeze the sight. It'll shrink the sight allowing installation. Or you could heat the slide to about 130°. That will expand the dovetail. Or both will work together.

If you have access to a CO2 fire extinguisher use it to freeze the sight. It'll shrink the sight allowing installation. Or you could heat the slide to about 130°. That will expand the dovetail. Or both will work together.

A can of canned air, turned upside down, will accomplish the same thing in a much more precise manner.

Or you could leave the sight in the freezer overnight and tackle it the next day. This should shrink it just a bit. If it's still too tight then use xdaddict's suggestion and LIGHTLY file a bit off the base.

Hey xdaddict, nice to see another Pittsburgher on this forum!

I did get the sight inserted finally. Freezing it and using some emery cloth did the trick. Thanks for the help guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back