CCW Reciprocity

FloridaBlue

Hey everyone, I had a question that maybe someone who has been through this process before can help me. I am a Florida resident and will be moving to Ohio next year. I know Florida and Ohio have a reciprocity agreement and was thinking about getting my CCW Permit here in Florida. My concern is when I move back to Ohio and become an Ohio resident will I have to retake all the CCW course over again or can I just submit a form for a change of address and just transfer a Florida CCW over to an Ohio one?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone, I had a question that maybe someone who has been through this process before can help me. I am a Florida resident and will be moving to Ohio next year. I know Florida and Ohio have a reciprocity agreement and was thinking about getting my CCW Permit here in Florida. My concern is when I move back to Ohio and become an Ohio resident will I have to retake all the CCW course over again or can I just submit a form for a change of address and just transfer a Florida CCW over to an Ohio one?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

There is no transferring a license. Your FL is good until it expires. Depending on the class you took to get your FL permit you may need to take another for the OH permit. OH has some specific requirements for their class.

Your FL License would still be valid in OH, so you wouldn't have to get a new OH License. One reason to get an OH license would be for those states that don't accept non-resident licenses.

However, the Florida permit is only good in Florida for exempting the person from the 1000' Federal Gun Free School Zone Law. So, a person in Ohio, carrying a concealed handgun on a Florida license, violates Federal law if they carry that gun within 1000' of a school:

18 USC 922 (q)(2):

(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

Here is a letter from the ATF that states that an out-of-state permit does NOT exempt a person from the 1000' School Zone Federal prohibition:
www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

However, the Florida permit is only good in Florida for exempting the person from the 1000' Federal Gun Free School Zone Law. So, a person in Ohio, carrying a concealed handgun on a Florida license, violates Federal law if they carry that gun within 1000' of a school:

Isn't that more of an issue of the Ohio State law? Would an OH permit allow them within 1000'?

Up until August of last year, it was illegal 1000' of a school in LA, regardless of what state your permit was from.

Once you become a resident of OH your FL permit is not valid in Ohio. Your FL permit is valid in the other states that accept it. If you are a resident of Ohio you must have an Ohio permit to carry in Ohio. Usually you become a resident of the state when you get that states Drivers License or State issued ID card.

You have to have a class that meets Ohio Law to apply in Ohio. Their law requires a min of 10 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. Once you have the class you apply to the Sheriff of the county you reside in. If I remember right you can also apply in a county that boarders your county of residence. Ohio Is shall issue.

As for the 1000 foot school rule. Read the letter from the BATFE that Navy Lt put a link to in his post. The thing about this law is I have not heard of anyone being arrested just for it. The few I have seen didn't mention resident or non resident permits etc or if they even had a permit to carry but it was an add on charge to someone who had a firearm on school property when the feds pressed charges.

The same ATF that allowed guns to be straw purchased and sent to Mexico and one of those gun Killed Agent Terry. ATF violated the law. 1000' gun free zone needs to be changed to allow honest law abiding citizens to carry.

Once you become a resident of OH your FL permit is not valid in Ohio. Your FL permit is valid in the other states that accept it. If you are a resident of Ohio you must have an Ohio permit to carry in Ohio. Usually you become a resident of the state when you get that states Drivers License or State issued ID card.

You have to have a class that meets Ohio Law to apply in Ohio. Their law requires a min of 10 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. Once you have the class you apply to the Sheriff of the county you reside in. If I remember right you can also apply in a county that boarders your county of residence. Ohio Is shall issue.

As for the 1000 foot school rule. Read the letter from the BATFE that Navy Lt put a link to in his post. The thing about this law is I have not heard of anyone being arrested just for it. The few I have seen didn't mention resident or non resident permits etc or if they even had a permit to carry but it was an add on charge to someone who had a firearm on school property when the feds pressed charges.

There is not a law on the books that states when you become an OH resident your FL license is not valid. I went through this a few years back when I moved to OH. It is valid to carry in OH with a FL license even if you are an OH resident. I would still recommend getting the OH permit though. If you have the OH permit with the current law you may drop off your child at school even while carrying as long as you do not exit the vehicle (curb side drop off). That provision may or may not apply if you are using a FL permit. But as you may be aware reciprocity agreements mean that you follow the law of the state you are in with reciprocity agreements and not the state that issued your permit.

There is not a law on the books that states when you become an OH resident your FL license is not valid. I went through this a few years back when I moved to OH. It is valid to carry in OH with a FL license even if you are an OH resident. I would still recommend getting the OH permit though. If you have the OH permit with the current law you may drop off your child at school even while carrying as long as you do not exit the vehicle (curb side drop off). That provision may or may not apply if you are using a FL permit. But as you may be aware reciprocity agreements mean that you follow the law of the state you are in with reciprocity agreements and not the state that issued your permit.

I looked in Ohio state law and I could find nothing that supports Gary Slider's statement either. Gary, could you please provide a citation that was the source of your statement?

Here is the Ohio law:
Lawriter - ORC - 2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to any person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, unless the person knowingly is in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

I don't see anything in Ohio code that invalidates an out-of-state permit once a person becomes a resident of Ohio.

An example of a statute that DOES invalidate out-of-state permits for residents is Washington:
RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

I have not been able to find such wording in Ohio state law.

Isn't that more of an issue of the Ohio State law? Would an OH permit allow them within 1000'?

With only limited exceptions, FEDERAL law prohibits carrying a loaded firearm within 1000' feet of a school. One of those limited exceptions is that the person is licensed BY the state the school zone is located in. Yes, an Ohio permit would be an exception to the Federal law in Ohio.

State laws may further prohibit firearms around schools, but they cannot override the Federal prohibition. The only way a state can override the Federal prohibition is to issue a license to carry a firearm and to require a background check to issue the license.

NavyLT, how is it that have been able to post basically what I was going to say, but do it before me? This seems to be happening a lot lately.

My Google-Fu and mastery of Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V is no match for mere mortals! :biggrin:

I am recovering from knee surgery and have even more free time than when I am physically present at work.

Thank you to everyone that replied this has been a great help. I think I'll just wait till I move back to Ohio and do the courses and everything there that way I am at least current with that states laws and in accordance with them.

Thank you to everyone that replied this has been a great help. I think I'll just wait till I move back to Ohio and do the courses and everything there that way I am at least current with that states laws and in accordance with them.

Then...once you do that...you can use the OH permit to obtain the AZ permit...which will give almost the same reciprocity coverage as FL...at half the cost.

understa Eotvos

That is one option, but not the best from a self-defense standpoint.

I do not know your time period for moving back to Ohio and that of course should come into play economically but not socially. The longer you wait to apply and receive a CCW permit the more time you will not have your emergency equipment available if you need it.

Just a thought to add to the process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back