CCW application sent off.

I guess at 250 a day I may have to wait a while yet. I'll get ready for deer hunting to take my mind off it. I see they got my application, there went my check.

No news today?

I hope that's because it came in the mail today and you are out enjoying your new found freedom.

Unfortunately, not. Nothing yet. I see Van Hollen issued an update on the DOJ site. I guess 37,000 apps have been received in the last two weeks. There is no way they will be able to get through them all in 45 days. Guess I am glad I sent mine in on day 1 and didn't wait. I should have drove to Madison like a some others though and dropped it off in person. Oh well. When it finally comes it will be like christmas in an envelope!

Link Removed

UM ok let me try and put this delicately, What in the F**K did you thing was going to happen? You denied peoples rights for so long of course 37K apps arrived in short order, Hell I'm really surprised it wasn't more. Last week he said he was not going to ask for additional manpower now it seems his this newest addition to the website is getting ready to make excuses why he cant make the 45 day deadline for apps that came in later.

Anyways rant off.

About your permit. There is a topic I read on another forum. Basically the topic starter said that if your check was posted to your account your permit was processed and you are technically licensed. He said he carries and if an LEO runs his name he will show you as being licensed (supposedly this has already happened to him). So you could not be charged with anything more then not carrying the card with you (I believe a 25 or 50 dollar forfeiture unless you produce the card within 48 hours).

I do believe him that if your check cleared your app was processed. That just based on the first batch getting them the next day. Having said all that I am not advising you carry. I would not take the chance. But if you are infact licensed now you could go to the DOJ and report the card lost and possibly get a new one on the spot. Might be worth a shot.

Either way good luck, i felt the same way. I was kicking myself for not going down to drop off my app and I was convinced mine would be the last of the day ones processed. But in the end I got mine fairly quick and that made opening the envelope that much sweeter.

--------------------------------edit----------------------------------

After reading this I thought I should make it clear that the first paragraph was aimed at the AG and not you.

About your permit. There is a topic I read on another forum. Basically the topic starter said that if your check was posted to your account your permit was processed and you are technically licensed. He said he carries and if an LEO runs his name he will show you as being licensed (supposedly this has already happened to him). So you could not be charged with anything more then not carrying the card with you (I believe a 25 or 50 dollar forfeiture unless you produce the card within 48 hours).

I do believe him that if your check cleared your app was processed. That just based on the first batch getting them the next day. Having said all that I am not advising you carry. I would not take the chance. But if you are infact licensed now you could go to the DOJ and report the card lost and possibly get a new one on the spot. Might be worth a shot.
:) At first I was like, what did I say? Then I realized quickly you were talking bout the article.

Got my permit today. I don't know if the above would hold true, and here is why. According to the back of my check, they cashed it at their bank on 11/09/2011. It cleared my bank 11/10/2011. My issue date is 11/11/2011. If I got caught carrying on 11/10/2011, I think I would be in trouble since my issue date wasn't actually until 11/11/2011 (which has been a really good date for me btw). If I did get caught on/after 11/11/11, then I think I would be ok. Plus I wonder, even if you get denied, don't they cash your check cuz they still have to do the background check and such. Just a guess, I have not heard of or from anyone who has been denied.

Here are my stats:

Mailed application from Appleton on 11/01/2011, they cashed my check on 11/09/2011. Cleared my bank on 11/10/2011. They mailed my permit on 11/14/2011. My issue date is 11/11/2011. I am number 43xx.

:) At first I was like, what did I say? Then I realized quickly you were talking bout the article.

Got my permit today. I don't know if the above would hold true, and here is why. According to the back of my check, they cashed it at their bank on 11/09/2011. It cleared my bank 11/10/2011. My issue date is 11/11/2011. If I got caught carrying on 11/10/2011, I think I would be in trouble since my issue date wasn't actually until 11/11/2011 (which has been a really good date for me btw). If I did get caught on/after 11/11/11, then I think I would be ok. Plus I wonder, even if you get denied, don't they cash your check cuz they still have to do the background check and such. Just a guess, I have not heard of or from anyone who has been denied.

Here are my stats:

Mailed application from Appleton on 11/01/2011, they cashed my check on 11/09/2011. Cleared my bank on 11/10/2011. They mailed my permit on 11/14/2011. My issue date is 11/11/2011. I am number 43xx.

Congratulations

went to WI on DAY TWO of the CCW enactment. Police are VERY cordial and receptive to it.

NOW PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE HELP US IN ILLINOIS GET THIS PASSED PLEASE!

Working on it as much as I can.

BTW just out of curiosity, If you were concealed carrying how did the LEO's even know to be receptive? Either way glad you had a good experience here. We still have problems here in Milwaukee. A woman who open carries here was arrested for CCW without a permit.

She was open carrying in her car, Open carry is legal and as soon as it turned NOV 1st so was car carry. Milwaukee police say that having a gun in the car is concealed no matter how you wear it. No body hurt defiantly not trying to conceal but yet the Milwaukee police still try and make crap up. I wish we would get rid of that communist wanna be dictator Chief.

---------------EDIT-----------------
NVM on my question, seems we already had that discussion.

WI CCW law is premptive

Sorry to hear that Milwaukee PD did that. Im reviewing past and current WI law as of this writing.

This may help in the iterim:

Link Removed
Link Removed

additional law:

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
(2) (a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or
crossbow in or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is a handgun, as defined in s.
175.60 (1)(bm), unless the firearm is unloaded, or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a
carrying case.
(2) (b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow
in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is a handgun, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (bm), unless the firearm is
unloaded and encased, or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
(2) (c) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may load a firearm, other than a handgun, as defined in s.
175.60 (1) (bm), in a vehicle or discharge a firearm or shoot a bolt or an arrow from a bow or crossbow in or
from a vehicle.
(2) (a) Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has
reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone in or on the grounds of a school is guilty of a Class I felony

Milwaukee has also declared busses and bus stops "no gun zones" as well.

And to answer your question about how did the Kenosha Sheriffs Officer know I was CCW? Well, a Beretta 96 isnt the easiest weapon to conceal. And I was carrying under my AZ Non Res Permit. They were pretty cool about it. Cool to the point where I wrote a glowing letter to them about my visit.

I took this one step further and CALLED MILWAUKEE PD. A nice hour conversation with the Officer related to me a few things about this woman and her gun in the car.

THIS IS ACCORDING TO MILWAUKEE PD and CONCURS WITH WI LAW.

Woman should have encased weapon in glove box,center console,or trunk. If she had it on her PERSON and was in a vehicle,the weapon is considered concealed. Now had she had a CCW permit I think this may have had a different out come. As the article is written,she is guilty of UUW. It is my hope that she can clear herself and her record and get a CCW permit.
Now,I think we all need to focus on a few things.
a. CHECK WITH THE STATE YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY IN IF NOT YOUR HOME STATE. Its THEIR ball park,play by ther rules.
b. ALWAYS be professionally polite with LEO's despite personal opinions of them.There are some officers Id like to take in an alley and beat senseless sometimes but Trust me when I tell you,you will WALK AWAY FREE AND CLEAR with just a smidgen of courtesy. As a public Safety supervisor in The Chicago Public Housing Unit,you would be surprised to know that a 'yes sir" and "Im sorry sir" got the potential offender a ride home as opposed to a ride to the lockup.
c. We are ALL "ambassadors" to CCW. LEO will base their opinions of all of us on the foolish actions of a few. I feel that if we are decent(and we all are)to them,it will be reciprocated.
I guess all Im saying is that we all should be helping eachother LEARN here and help eachother out
with State Specific events,laws,encounters,and advice.
Im very proud to be a part of this community and am more than happy to help as well as take advice.

Lets do this the RIGHT way.

ARMED IN CHICAGO

The safest thing to do is wait until you have the ACTUAL PERMIT in your possession.
Im hoping those that have the permit can submit a picture of it(personal info blocked out of course) so we can see what it looks like!

Well I disagree that it concurs with Wisconsin law. The legislator removed the car carry regulations so open carriers would not have to unload/reload every time the got into and out of a car. The weapon is more secure and less of a risk if it stays in the holster. But anyways the DA has yet to determine if charges will be filed or not. either way Chief Flynn has already made up his mind that his interpretation of the law is the only one that matters. He is the same one that said he didn't care if open carry was legal he was still going to order his "troops" to take them down at gunpoint, seize the weapon, and arrest. If she was concealing it under a jacket that's one thing but she was open carrying in a car and the weapon was visible. BTW if she would have had it in the glove compartment or the center counsel then she would have been guilty of concealed carry without a permit. She applied for the permit and while she waited she did the only legal thing she could do. Milwaukee police because of Flynn will always hassle any carrier because he disagrees with the law.

Anyways I tried to scan my permit, it looked like crap but you can see one here.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf
Just scroll down. Not the best looking thing ever but It is the best thing I have ever had in my wallet.

Wow. This should be a challenging case. Again,we as "responsible CCW permit holders" need to track this and,if necessary,file the appropriate complaints to DOJ about this Flynn goof. Sounds like another drone that will enforce the Contstitution. Just the parts he agrees with.

Ah HA! I think I found the law regarding this womans predicament:

If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle?
A. Handguns
The law now allows a person to do the following without a CCW permit:
 place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being
unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(b).
 load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(c).
 operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a handgun in the operator‘s
possession. Wis. Stat. § 23.33(3)(a).
 place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a motorboat with the motor
running without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(a), (b),
(c).
 place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a noncommercial aircraft.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not
carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be
hidden or concealed and within reach.

Ah HA! I think I found the law regarding this womans predicament:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not
carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be
hidden or concealed and within reach.

While this is not the law this appears to be pulled from the DOJ FAQ it is still the interpretation of the law by Wisconsin's "Top Cop". But a point I want to bring up. You said you called the Milwaukee police and they said "Woman should have encased weapon in glove box,center console,or trunk". Besides the trunk the other 2 locations they advised are clearly CCW violations without a permit (they are concealed and within reach). So they say her not concealed is against the law but they advise you to break the law. I guarantee that if you did what they advised and the Milwaukee police found out they would no longer interpret the law that way and you would be spending time in jail.

Just more games that the chief plays. I know it is still far better then what you have in Illinois but it still isn't right. Also it is a possible introduction to what you will have with Chicago when a CCW law is finally passed. Even with statewide preemption there is still some wiggle room for a police department to fight the law and use lawful citizens as pawns in there little games. That is why I suggest you fight against any may issue and against any law without state preemption. Chicago will fight probably even harder then Milwaukee and without it lawful citizens will do jail time and go broke trying to fight charges.

#73xx ... Sent Nov 1st cashed on the Nov 10th received Nov 21st..... No more unloading coming back across the WI boarder :) ..... I work in MN :)

Well I sent my app out late I think it was on the 7th. Checked my bank and my check was cashed the 21st. Looks like they are moving pretty fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back