CCW and Trucking

Lonewolf2810

Glock 27 Fan
If you have a CCW and drive a big rig can you legally carry a firearm with you? Friend of mine needs to know.

Handgunlaw.us has this to say .

# 13 Question: Can a commercial truck driver carry a firearm in his/her rig?
Answer: There is no federal law concerning commercial truck drivers and firearms. If
you have the proper Permits/License and can legally carry in the state you are driving in or
that state allows the carrying of firearms without a permit you are legal.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/CommercialVehiclesAndFirerarms.pdfClick Here

to read letter from Office of Hazardous Materials Standards that firearms do not fall under
hazardous materials in commercial vehicles.
I have talked to many truck drivers about this and I have not heard of one trucking company
that allows their drivers to carry a firearm while working.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/FAQ.pdf

But i would make some phone calls. Internet advice is usaly bad.

YES! you can Carry in a big truck!, I have been DOT'ed 2 times. In states that REQUIRE! you to show your permit. And the cop just looked at it and said OK and moved on; it was no problem. And I have delved to a prison and a lake city ammo plant; BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW THE LAW! and the law of the state you are in. I use
USA carry.com and opencarry.org and Handgunlaw.us to know the law of the state I'm in, or going in to. and I have 2 lock boxes under my bunk; 1 for my gun and 1 for my ammo.
this is For the states that my permit may not good in.
THIS IS A MUST (it is called carrying under federal law) and if going in to prison or not Sher. LOCK IT UP! and inform them that you have a ccw permit and you are lock under federal law. before you go in!
Now: postal facility are big time NO! NO! So I will lock it up; and I do not say a word. Because if they find out! I may go to prison (that call is up to you)
Now: as far as carrying a gun in a company truck. Most company's will say NO WAY! you can have a gun in THEIR TRUCK! (liability you know) so that call is up to you. if they fined out you may loss your job.
I will take my chance on that one.
It is called (CONCEALMENT SO KEEP IT CONCEALED ) (it is a need to know bases only) I.E. law enforcement. And for the most part Law Enforcement will respect that word concealment.
I hope this help's

Also check the company's policy. They may frown at the idea. Even if federal law says its legit. They may get fired because of a company policy.

Also check the company's policy. They may frown at the idea. Even if federal law says its legit. They may get fired because of a company policy.

Usually not a concern... Truck drivers are in such high demand that if you leave one company you can be hired at another within an hr... been there, done that....

(especially if you have no tickets or accidents)

And your CB radio installer will usually give you a break on the new install if you agree to reffer him or her some business from your new employer.

I am sorry, but I have no clue what you are trying to say here.......

And here is something you may not realize.... Less than 1/2 the trucks on the road anymore have cb's... and if they do have one, it is used almost exclusively at shippers and receivers, not while going down the road. The cell phone has all but replaced the cb for communications on the road.

PS.... I install my own radios, never needed any help to do something so simple....

The driver of a Commerical Motor Vehicle can carry a firearm on board. You're concidered to be 'not in commerce' which simply means carrying a firearm in the cab is regulated by the state you're traveling through. That's the good news...

The bad news is... your subject to the laws: state, county, and municipal of the jurisdictions you happen to be traveling through. Which can be confusing no matter how much research you do. I tend to check: Carry Concealed, Concealed Carry, Reciprocity Maps, Concealed Weapons Permit, and the state website of a state I'll be entering.

In my case I carry everywhere I go. Either on my person (in the states that recognize my CCW) or locked up in accordance with USC 18, Chapter 44, Sec. 926(a) when I travel through a state that does not recognize my CCW.

Sec. 926(a) requires that your ammunition or firearm be locked up, but some states do require both. So, to be safe lock them up seperately as was previously suggested.

Company Policy for most major companies is no firearms. Although, some smaller companies do permit it. In my case I'm not subject to a company's policy since I'm not employed by a company. But be aware in some states if you're a company employee and your company prohibits firearms your CCW is void in a company vehicle.

Shippers/Receivers are hit and miss. Some prohibit firearms and some don't. In cases where they do prohibit firearms I lock them up. I don't go to military bases or prisons, and I do not cross into Canada!

Generally, I don't advertise that I carry or what I carry. It's no ones business but yours. But if you are stopped and you have a CCW on your person I recommend that you inform the officer that stops you. I realize it isn't always required, but I've found that if you're upfront about it they don't get worked up about it.

One final thing. Scales... If you're stopped at a scale do not carry into the scale house. In most states the scale house is treated the same as a police station, so its unlawful to carry into one.

In most states the scale house is treated the same as a police station, so its unlawful to carry into one.

Not so in Washington State. If it is a public access point, you're legal to carry.

RCW 9.41.290 - State Preemption
The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back