CCW and mag capacity

echo19

I will be traveling from Arizona to the Aspen area in July after the magazine law goes into effect. The new laws are vague. Can I bring my Glock 17 with 17 round magazines as I owned the mags before the new law? Or would it be better just to bring a pistol which holds 15 or less? Thanks for your help.

One of the biggest objections to the magazine capacity limit law is that it’s been deemed unenforceable. If you run into the perfect storm and some cop makes an issue of it (54 of 64 Colorado county sheriffs are suing to block the law from even taking effect) it’s up to them to prove the magazine was purchased after July first. I wouldn’t worry about it.

You also might want to look at this thread

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gene...o-sheriffs-sue-over-new-gun-restrictions.html

It's been a while since I read the bill and it may have been changed before the final vote. That said I believe that in order to be legal you have to possess said magazines before July 1st and be a resident of Colorado. If that is true then you would be in violation since it would be easy to prove you are not a resident of CO.

I'll take a read through the final bill and post my findings.

So read through the bill again. No you do not have to be a resident of Colorado. You must simply possess the magazine prior to the effective date of the ban.

An interesting point I didn't know before;
Any magazine manufactured in Colorado after the effective date of this bill must have an identifying mark stamped or engraved upon it to indicate it was manufactured after the effective date of the ban.

This part is what gets me;
(I) A FIXED OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, BOX, DRUM, FEED STRIP, OR
SIMILAR DEVICE CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING, OR THAT IS DESIGNED TO BE
READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT, MORE THAN FIFTEEN ROUNDS OF
AMMUNITION;

So basically any magazine with a removable base plate could be considered readily convertible to accept more than 15 rounds. What a yoke.

Thanks Beau for the follow up. You are correct in saying that the laws are poorly written; obviously written by a non-gun person who had to much to drink. I feel more comfortable now that I've read the law.

They are currently trying to overturn the "THAT IS DESIGNED TO BE READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT," part of this bill. 90% of the mags out there can be converted. If your mag, like all of mine, have a removable floor plate then they are subject to this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back