CC methods for full size pistol?

I carry my Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Holster at the 4 o'clock position, IWB. It's the 9/40/357 slide version that has an open bottom. This allows me to carry any 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG Glock in this holster. One of the reasons why I am considering buying a Glock 26. No need to buy another holster. There is a good review of the closed bottom version here: Gear Review: CompTac MTAC Holster | The Truth About Guns

In any case, a gun belt is a good idea. I do use a Comp-Tac Kydex Reinforced Contour Belt. Its torsional stiffness provides significant support.

My primary CC is a G20 in either a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster or an RCS Vanguard 2 minimal holster. 5'10" 185lbs usually with untucked shirt over a t-shirt and always with a Wilderness FF belt.

When clothing dictates I alternate with a G29 in the same holsters or, if necessary, an LCP in a Kusiak leather AIWB holster.

For me AIWB made the difference with the larger gun. Behind the hip made me look like I had a giant hip tumor :-/

d(-.-)b

I carry my Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Holster at the 4 o'clock position, IWB. It's the 9/40/357 slide version that has an open bottom. This allows me to carry any 9mm, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG Glock in this holster. One of the reasons why I am considering buying a Glock 26. No need to buy another holster. There is a good review of the closed bottom version here: Gear Review: CompTac MTAC Holster | The Truth About Guns

In any case, a gun belt is a good idea. I do use a Comp-Tac Kydex Reinforced Contour Belt. Its torsional stiffness provides significant support.
Comptac makes excellent holsters, but the OP asked about full sized pistols. While I am also a fan of the G19-23-32-38 series, they are compacts, not full size like the G17-20-21-22, which are substantially larger and more difficult to carry and conceal. The G21 is like concealing a piece of 2x4 with a handle!

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Comptac makes excellent holsters, but the OP asked about full sized pistols. While I am also a fan of the G19-23-32-38 series, they are compacts, not full size like the G17-20-21-22, which are substantially larger and more difficult to carry and conceal. The G21 is like concealing a piece of 2x4 with a handle!

Agree, a full size is a lot to conceal, but the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC is available for the Glock 21. The main problem for the OP will be grip length and weight. In comparison to the Crossbreed mentioned by the OP, the Minotaur MTAC seems more sturdier with its thicker leather.

practically everyone wises up eventually and just gets a pocket gun and a pocket holster. It is extremely rare for a pocket gun and pocket rig to not suffice for civilians, in the rare event that a gun is needed at ALL, that is.

practically everyone wises up eventually and just gets a pocket gun and a pocket holster. It is extremely rare for a pocket gun and pocket rig to not suffice for civilians, in the rare event that a gun is needed at ALL, that is.
No, practically everyone wises up eventually and gets a bigger gun with more bullets. On average it takes 2-3 HITS to stop an attacker. If you only hit half the time (less if you're NYPD), you need 4-6 rounds per attacker. If you have to stop two attackers, that's 8-12 shots; three attackers 12-18 shots. If you have to reload, there is an excellent chance that you're going to be in trouble. That's the thinking behind 9mm guns with 18 round magazines.
-
Don't project your situation to others. I have carried a subcompact handgun (XD-9SC) for a couple years, and I've carried a compact (G19) for a few years, but now I carry a full size Springfield Armory XDM-45 4.5". I have no problem concealing it at the 3:30-4 o'clock position. And I really have no problem with the full length grip and the control it helps provide. I do suggest that with a fat gun like the G21, though, a leather IWB holster will add to an already thick object inside the belt. Kydex adds less thickness. I use a Tucker Secret Strike kydex IWB holster.
-
Never say never, and never say always, but my thinking for the last 2+ years has been no more limited capacity, short grip guns for me. I carry a gun for protection, so that's why I have 14 rounds of .45ACP JHP in my holster all the time. No one who has ever had to use a gun ever wished for smaller or fewer rounds. I can't think of the last time I considered going back to a smaller gun.

Another vote for Crossbreed holsters. I carry my PT145 with no issue using a plain jane leather belt.

No, practically everyone wises up eventually and gets a bigger gun with more bullets.
No one who has ever had to use a gun ever wished for smaller or fewer rounds.

People are quick to point out that just the sight of a gun often ends confrontations... well if that is the case why don't we just carry pictures of guns - they'd be a lot lighter!

Kidding aside, I totally agree... you can play the odds thinking you won't ever have to use your gun or perhaps just draw it but you never know what circumstances may present themselves. Seems criminals are working in groups more and more and seem more desperate and/or willing to use violence - I'd rather carry a bigger gun and be better prepared. Bigger guns also shoot better at distance - something most pocket guns do not do ;-)

Link Removed

For my 1911 I use a simple NRA holster in an outside WB configuration or an Alessi shoulder rig when I can wear a jacket.

Whether you get leather or kydex, IWB or OWB you can't skimp on the belt. I got mine fromwww.abetterbeltusa.com, I got the ultimate belt bullhide outer layer and chose horsehide for the inner layer at no extra charge for under $70. I use it to carry a Glock 22 in a Kramer IWB holster and I barely notice it is there. The belt made all the difference.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using USA Carry mobile app

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back