CC at 2:00?

Moxie5

Wondering if any of you ladies conceal carry at the 2:00 position? What IWB holster do you use?

I've been trying out my husband's Crossbreed at both the 5 and 2, thinking I might have a situation where the 2 is a better place, but I'll probably mainly be carrying at the 5. Just wondering if I can get away with both positions with one holster.

Interesting that you posted that question. I have been carrying at the 2 position for several years. I started out being 50 lbs heavier than I am now. Since my weight loss I am now trying the 3 to 5 position. I am going tonight to get fitted for a "crossbreed type" holster. I want to be able to wear one with my shirt tucked in. I think the carrying question for ladies depends on how you are built. How long did you carry using your husbands Crossbreed? And what did or didn't you like about it?

I didn't wear it long (in the 2:00) - just enough to walk around, sit, etc. Fits fine w/o his XDm but the butt digs into my ribs when it's holstered, unless I "sit pretty". Obviously his cant is adjusted to his preference, mine will be different. My Glock also has a bit of a shorter grip, which I'm wondering if it won't dig as badly.

My biggest problem right now is finding pants that don't make the kydex and mussel stick out at the pocket. I just had my second child 2 months ago, so pants sizes are still fluctuation, but I know I'll need new jeans regardless. Kathy Jackson (The Cornered Cat) recommends checking out men's styles, which I've tried on my husband's jeans. That makes the holster practically invisible, but (as my husband said) "they look like men's jeans on a girl". *sigh* I'll have to try men's skinny jeans or something.

PS - I affectingly like to call my build the "teapot": short and stout. I'm 5'2" and curvy, but still within the "healthy" weight zone (hubby is a personal trainer, lucky me). So the hips are obviously my biggest hurdle when carrying IWB.

2:00 or "appendix carry"

Wondering if any of you ladies conceal carry at the 2:00 position? What IWB holster do you use?

I've been trying out my husband's Crossbreed at both the 5 and 2, thinking I might have a situation where the 2 is a better place, but I'll probably mainly be carrying at the 5. Just wondering if I can get away with both positions with one holster.

I carry at the 2:00 position. I am 5'6" and have a somewhat athletic woman's build.

It works great for me because part of my job is fairly physical and bending over to pick things up will make the gun print if I have it at the 5:00 position. The other parts of my job involve sitting (car or chair) and carrying at 2:00 works for that too.

Plus, after reading the following by Gabe Suarez (controversial figure, but his post seems to make a lot of sense), I settled on Appendix Carry ... mostly because of concealment issues and because of reason #4:

Immediate Advantages of Appendix Carry/IWB:

1). Protect the gun in crowded situations – One of the fears of most armed guys is going into a large crowd where you can’t keep everyone 21 feet away like they tell you at the range, you can’t keep your back to the wall like they did in the old westerns, and all manner of strangers will be bumping into and rubbing across your strong side holstered CCW pistol. With Appendix Carry, you can simply keep your arm across the holster and no one will ever know you are armed.

2). Easier covert deployment due to less arm motion in the draw - Some folks never worry about covert deployment. This is probably because they have never been in an armed robbery where any fast motions indicative of a draw would be met with gun fire.

The shoulder articulation needed to bring the hand up to the belt buckle area is considerably less, and includes less travel time, than what is needed to reach for a wallet kept in the right cheek pocket. Less motion draws less attention, and is faster.

3). Easier deployment in grappling or stalemate situations - Think of your fight starting with the bad guy knocking you down and now pummeling you on the ground. If you tell me that such a thing will never happen you must be the baddest hombre ever to strap on a gun. Me, I know it could happen. Look at the lead photo above. Could you get your pistol out?

Finding yourself in that situation, a draw from Appendix Carry will be much easier and faster, not to mention physically safer than traditional strong side carry.

4). It is faster than any other kind of carry. Don't believe it? I will prove it to you on based on physics and geometry alone....and then we'll go out on the Force On Force floor.

Try an experiment right now. Stand with your arms at your sides. Now move your “strong side” hand to the Appendix Position (just to the right of the belt buckle). Try again with what would be the cross draw position, and the strong side position. You will notice that the distance to grip is much less in appendix carry. Left handed guys, simply reverse the exercise.

A second experiment. From each one of those positions, move your hand now to the fully extended position as if you were going to shoot. Just do it one handed now for simplicity. The Appendix position is still less movement, and thus faster.

5). Unless you are extremely overweight, Appendix Carry is easier to conceal than other types of carry. Guys, my job is to produce people that can win a gunfight decisively and not to validate poor eating habits. You know those guys that fly armed on airplanes in case there is a terrorist on board? They tend toward appendix carry as well because their concealment requirements are quite high.

So the holster that I use is a simple one: Bianchi 100 (for a Kahr MK9), and I have it tipped forward just a tad. I can conceal even wearing a T-shirt.

I originally planned on getting a custom holster once I decided where I liked wearing the gun, but this little holster works great so I haven't actively searched for an appendix holster yet.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips. I might get a Remora holster to play around with where works best for me before I spend more money on a leather or hybrid.

I am extremely happy with my Crossbreed holster. It took about 2 weeks to really really get used to it, but now it is molded to my body and I honestly sometimes forget I have it on. I'm right-handed and I guess I carry around 3 o'clock. But after reading the post about appendix carry, (just to the right of the belt buckle)and its virtues, I might experiment with that. I generally wear my shirts/blouses outside my pants, so for sure the Crossbreed is excellent. And I have tucked in once or twice and it is amazing how it hides the firearm. I carry an LC9 in the holster.

Are any of you short-waisted and curvy? I have an M&P9c, and I still haven't found a comfortable carry spot. I will mostly be wearing a T-shirt and jeans or shorts. I have a Remora, but I also want a holster that attaches to a belt. IWB or OWB...I don't know yet.

So the holster that I use is a simple one: Bianchi 100 (for a Kahr MK9), and I have it tipped forward just a tad. I can conceal even wearing a T-shirt.

I have a friend who is letting me have his Bianchi 100 - so I'll get to try it out first-hand. I'm excited to see how comfortable it is. Thanks for the tips!

Are any of you short-waisted and curvy? ... I have a Remora, but I also want a holster that attaches to a belt.

How do you like your Remora? Does it draw well - the holster stay in place? I want to get one with a reinforced top to help with re-holstering.

I have curves, but I consider my torso average. I feel like my hips are the biggest hindrance in CC - finding jeans is going to be hard!!

My new holster

Today I got the most excellent holster! It's from a small company local to me so I was able to take my old S & W CS9 Chief Special and have them form the kydex around it. I have had it on all day and I hardly feel it! I'm wearing it at the 3 o'clock position. Check out Hidden Hybrid Holsters

How do you like your Remora? Does it draw well - the holster stay in place? I want to get one with a reinforced top to help with re-holstering.

I have curves, but I consider my torso average. I feel like my hips are the biggest hindrance in CC - finding jeans is going to be hard!!

I haven't had a chance to use my Remora much because I'm still waiting for my CCL. I do llike it, though, and it doesn't move. That being said, it COULD move, so I want another holster for those times when I might be climbing around in the woods or whatever. I'm considering a kydex PS Holster.

I always carry IWB at 2, using an inexpensive Bulldog holster. I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it but do a google search. It works great for me and I like the security of having it right in front. I usually wear a shirt long enough just to cover any printing, as I do wear my jeans fairly snug.

Good luck!

If you like the Supertuck (designed for 3 - 6 carry) , look into the Crossbreed Quickclip. It is designed for appendix to 3 carry and is as comfortable as the supertuck. I would also suggest you get a pair of the standard crossbreed steel clips and mount them side by side in place of the wide kydex clip the holster is delivered with. I had issues with the kydex clip breaking.

If you are looking for a deal on crossbreed items check out Crossbreed Holsters - Second Hand Holsters
Their terms are cash only but prices are excellent. I bought one here and it looks perfect. I'm not really sure why is was a "second".

I just got my cc permit in Georgia and have a Ruger LCR with a Crossbread holster. I have some experience in working with leather so I knew to get it to fit faster all I had to do was dampen the backside with water and put in on in the position that I wanted which was right in front of my right hip bone down low with the top of the holster just below my pants top and the handle canted down a little in the back and you can't feel it very much and it doesn't show. Wearing it dampened allowed it to conform to my curves and I made sure I sat down so it would turn up at the bottom for my leg and over at the top for my ribs now it feels great. After wearing it until it dried it stayed formed to my shape and feels great. Now if I could get used to the kick of the LCR I would be ready to go.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back