CatAmmo Questionable quality

walt629

As we all are sadly aware, the supply of ammunition we enjoyed before the panic set in, is no longer at our beck and call.

My fellow shooters and I have a network going so that if one of us finds an available source of our desired caliber, we will inform the other. One of us came across a company going by the name of CatAmmo.

This is meant for information purposes only as I have not come to a full conclusion on this company yet.

CatAmmo advertises it self as a re-manufacturer of ammunition so there was no misrepresentation going into the purchase. I purchased 500 rounds of 115 grain 9mm hollow point for $236. I considered it a good price considering what the brick and mortar's are selling boxes of 50 for. I wasn't expecting much.

Everything about this outfit screams 'not very professional'.

When I called, the young man answering the phone answers "Hello?". I had to ask if I reached CatAmmo.
He took the pertinent billing information. He never asked me my age.
After getting the information from me he said "Thanks" and I had to stop him from hanging up to ask about shipping schedules. He said it was in stock and it would ship "tomorrow".
The conversation ended.

The ammo arrived in a plain cardboard box without all the expected hazardous materials stickers on the box. The only thing out of the ordinary was a large letter "G" on the FedEx label. (maybe someone can tells us what that was for).

I knew it would be a bulk box but every time I've ordered "bulk" from other vendors the ammo came in count boxes or trays. This time, no count boxes or trays, so the only way to assure the quantity is to count each round or take their word for it.

I am a little disappointed by the quality of the product I received. The very first cartridge that caught my eye had a mashed primer. Looks as if it was inserted cockeyed and was rammed home while sitting on the case at 45degree angle. After finding that right on top of all the rest, I decided to examine every round. I found several cartridges the the case was bulged by the insertion and seating of the bullet. Some are that apparent that I tink there may be some feed issues. I did find a second round missing the face of the primer leaving the anvil exposed.

2 out of 500 with bad primers and about (didn't count) 20 bulged cases. Not a good omen.

I sent an email to them teling them what I found. That was on Saturday.

I do not know how the ammo performs. I haven't gone to the range and probably won't this week. If I do I'll let you know how it does.

Link Removed

Let us know how it shoots... please.
That's 23.60 per box of 50. Don't know if that's a good deal or not.

Let us know how it shoots... please.
That's 23.60 per box of 50. Don't know if that's a good deal or not.

Around my way the going price is $24 to $30 per 50. And with the free shipping I thought it was a good deal. Once I get to the range, I'll repost the results.

Around my way the going price is $24 to $30 per 50. And with the free shipping I thought it was a good deal. Once I get to the range, I'll repost the results.

Yep, I stand corrected. I guess I've still got the price of a box of 50 was at the base... $12.50. But they haven't had any either, for ages.
I'll be glad to hear how the Catammo shoots.

Just a quick update. I did get an email response from Joe at Catammo. He offered to 1) take the ammo back and give me my money back or 2) exchange the ammo and give me an additional 50 rounds to compensate me for my troubles.

For now I'm holding onto the ammo until I figure out how much it'll cost to ship it back.

Okay! It took a while but I finally ran the ammo. And it all ran well. Only 1 failure to feed and I attribute that to me.

After contacting CatAmmo and getting positive response to my concerns, I check the questionable round by checking the fit into a 9mm chamber. Even the ugly rounds chambered without issue.

As far as I'm concerned CatAmmo is a company I wil deal with in the future.

As we all are sadly aware, the supply of ammunition we enjoyed before the panic set in, is no longer at our beck and call.

My fellow shooters and I have a network going so that if one of us finds an available source of our desired caliber, we will inform the other. One of us came across a company going by the name of CatAmmo.

This is meant for information purposes only as I have not come to a full conclusion on this company yet.

CatAmmo advertises it self as a re-manufacturer of ammunition so there was no misrepresentation going into the purchase. I purchased 500 rounds of 115 grain 9mm hollow point for $236. I considered it a good price considering what the brick and mortar's are selling boxes of 50 for. I wasn't expecting much.

Everything about this outfit screams 'not very professional'.

When I called, the young man answering the phone answers "Hello?". I had to ask if I reached CatAmmo.
He took the pertinent billing information. He never asked me my age.
After getting the information from me he said "Thanks" and I had to stop him from hanging up to ask about shipping schedules. He said it was in stock and it would ship "tomorrow".
The conversation ended.

The ammo arrived in a plain cardboard box without all the expected hazardous materials stickers on the box. The only thing out of the ordinary was a large letter "G" on the FedEx label. (maybe someone can tells us what that was for).

I knew it would be a bulk box but every time I've ordered "bulk" from other vendors the ammo came in count boxes or trays. This time, no count boxes or trays, so the only way to assure the quantity is to count each round or take their word for it.

I am a little disappointed by the quality of the product I received. The very first cartridge that caught my eye had a mashed primer. Looks as if it was inserted cockeyed and was rammed home while sitting on the case at 45degree angle. After finding that right on top of all the rest, I decided to examine every round. I found several cartridges the the case was bulged by the insertion and seating of the bullet. Some are that apparent that I tink there may be some feed issues. I did find a second round missing the face of the primer leaving the anvil exposed.

2 out of 500 with bad primers and about (didn't count) 20 bulged cases. Not a good omen.

I sent an email to them teling them what I found. That was on Saturday.

I do not know how the ammo performs. I haven't gone to the range and probably won't this week. If I do I'll let you know how it does.

Link Removed

Many rounds show bulging from the bullets being inserted into the casing. Not just in 9mm but in many others.

So, I'm curious..... you observed problems with two primers that caused you to inspect every round for a proper primer. What assurance did you have that the powder charge was correct? Is there any less of a chance of the powder charge being bad than bad priming? One round with a reduced charge causing a squib, followed by firing a second round could easily go kaboom. A single over or double charge could easily go kaboom. I know with 9mm there isn't much room for over/double powder charging....but still.... if it was .45...

So, I'm curious..... you observed problems with two primers that caused you to inspect every round for a proper primer. What assurance did you have that the powder charge was correct? Is there any less of a chance of the powder charge being bad than bad priming? One round with a reduced charge causing a squib, followed by firing a second round could easily go kaboom. A single over or double charge could easily go kaboom. I know with 9mm there isn't much room for over/double powder charging....but still.... if it was .45...

I had no real assurance, other than the operator of CatAmmo tell me he produced 'thousands of round on ammunition in the same batch and didn't have any complaints'. Alrightythen...

I suppose it is possible to have the same scenario develop from a 'major manufacturer' but not very probable.

When I ran any ammo, I'm try to always be on the listen for that distinct 'squib' sound. Only ever had it happen once and it came out of a box of 9mm Winchester I had for some time.

Man! I never thought of what a .45 double charge would be like!

And just for S&G to prove Navy's point, I pulled 10 rounds of .32-20WCF and weighed them. I used a set of beam scales that can go to 325 gr by .1 gr. Factory rounds with new brass made by Winchester. The range of weights was from 171.8 all the way up to 176 gr. Empty brass cases with spent primers were from 68.6 gr to 71.3 gr. If all bullets weighed the 100 gr rated, powder charges could be from near zero to near 8gr. Even if you used the min weight/min weight to max weight/max weight comparisons, you still have powder charges of 3.1 gr to 4.7 gr. So how are you going to know if your rounds are undercharged, correct, or overcharged without disassembling the rounds?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back