Castle Doctrine Question

Daffypuck

Sorry if this has been addressed, but its a fairly new law in TN that allows non CCP citizens of TN to carry their firearm in their vehicle, loaded and accessable, just as if you were in your home. I am in the process of obtaining my CCP here in TN, but was wondering what the castle doctrine laws are across the nation. It takes forever to sift through the mountains of regulations for each state and I was wondering if there is a list of states that have the same or similar law. I will be travelling out west this summer and probably will not actually carry on my person very often, but will have the FA in my vehicle and in any hotel room I might stay at. Most of the links I see here address reciprocity for openly or concealed carry in public, but what about in my vehicle with or without a CCP?

Welcome to the forum.

As far as I understand, there is no single source for castle doctrine laws are across the nation, other than Wikipedia. Maintaining such a list is tedious and error prone, given the number of gun laws on the books in the nation. Whenever I travel, I map out my route and look up the gun and deadly force laws in each state, using some specific sites (e.g. www.handgunlaw.us) as initial resources to find those laws.

As a fellow Tennessean, I can tell you that our state has changed a number of laws in the last few years and more are going to change this year. Whenever you cross a state border, those state laws don't apply anymore. www.handgunlaw.us does list the laws regarding RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License and other travel issues, such as Must Inform Officer by Law and State Preemption.

Welcome to the forum.

As far as I understand, there is no single source for castle doctrine laws are across the nation, other than Wikipedia. Maintaining such a list is tedious and error prone, given the number of gun laws on the books in the nation. Whenever I travel, I map out my route and look up the gun and deadly force laws in each state, using some specific sites (e.g. www.handgunlaw.us) as initial resources to find those laws.

As a fellow Tennessean, I can tell you that our state has changed a number of laws in the last few years and more are going to change this year. Whenever you cross a state border, those state laws don't apply anymore. www.handgunlaw.us does list the laws regarding RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License and other travel issues, such as Must Inform Officer by Law and State Preemption.

Thanks for your reply. Thats just it, maybe Im missing it, but is there a specific spot in the links you and others have provided that addresses the castle doctrine within the links for each state? They all provide great reciprocity details, but I dont see a specific spot that addresses the castle doctrine. Ive got a few months before I travel, so Ive got plenty of time to find out the different laws.
edit: ok I see it now! Thanks

I think you're asking the wrong question. This isn't really about Castle Doctrine, but rather the transport of a weapon across state line(s). It is probable that some or all of the states you may travel through may not extend the notion of Castle Doctrine to your automobile. I'm from KY, which is both a Castle and a Stand Your Ground state. In KY anyone who can legally own a handgun may transport it in their vehicle, loaded, as long as it is enclosed in a "factory" compartment, including glove box, console, trunk, etc. without the need for a CCDW permit.

In addition, KY is an open carry state, so you can also carry it open, on the seat of the car. However, if you conceal it in a paper bag on the seat of the car, you best have your CCDW permit or you have committed a crime.

Lawmakers are wonderful in their logic, yes?

I live near the state line and travel into KY often. SO your input helps, sort of. Your above statements seem contradictory to me. You say you can carry loaded FA, but in a glove box etc without a CCP. Then you follow up with KY is an open carry and you can carry openly in your vehicle without CCP, but it better not be concealed if you dont have a CCP. Is it better stated that you can carry a loaded FA in your vehicle in KY that is either locked up or in plain view, but not concealed in any manner (unless locked up), unless you have a CCP?
The laws provided in the links are really confusing, some of them, and all Im looking for is a comprehensive list of Castle Doctrine states that is updated as best as possible as new laws and regs come out. For instance, Utah is a state that doesnt require a CCP to carry. At least at first glance, it seems that way. Does that mean if I dont have CCP from my state, that I can openly carry, conceal on both my person in public and in my car as I travel through their state? Same goes for KS, but when I click on KS, it mentions having a KS permit in other states. If KS and UT are permittless states, why does clicking on them mention a KS or UT permit in the links to each state. I dont get it. Ultimately, until and if I get my CCP here in TN, what sates can i travel through with my FA in my vehicle legally? I will be in TX, AR, OK, AZ,NM, CA, OR, WA,ID, CO, KS and MO. From what Ive read thus far, it seems CA and CO laws are a bit dicey compared to most of the others sates mentioned.Hell, unless I get my CCP, I GUess Ill have to unload and secure my FA if going through certain strict states.

>> I live near the state line and travel into KY often. SO your input helps, sort of. Your above statements seem contradictory to me. <<

Allow me to clarify. In KY, those WITHOUT CCDW permits can open carry a loaded firearm on their person, openly visible in an automobile, or concealed in a FACTORY INSTALLED compartment (emphasis on COMPARTMENT, under seat is not a compartment as defined by the law. So without the permit you may have a loaded gun open on the seat, or concealed in the center console (or trunk, or glove box). What you may NOT do is conceal it in anything else, such as a paper bag, or even your range bag.

With the CCDW you are good to go.

Because of the odd way the law is written, before I got my permit, on the way to the range I could have it loaded and easily accessible in the center console, but would be illegal to have it in my range bag on the passenger seat next to me.

Hope that clarifies a bit for you. Again, make sure you understand the transport laws wherever you may be going, not just if/if not that the state is Castle Doctrine.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but its a fairly new law in TN that allows non CCP citizens of TN to carry their firearm in their vehicle, loaded and accessable, just as if you were in your home. I am in the process of obtaining my CCP here in TN, but was wondering what the castle doctrine laws are across the nation. It takes forever to sift through the mountains of regulations for each state and I was wondering if there is a list of states that have the same or similar law. I will be travelling out west this summer and probably will not actually carry on my person very often, but will have the FA in my vehicle and in any hotel room I might stay at. Most of the links I see here address reciprocity for openly or concealed carry in public, but what about in my vehicle with or without a CCP?
If you go to handgunlaws.us, pick a state and scroll all the down to the very bottom you will see that state's use of force laws. That's where any castle doctrine, stand your ground and duty to retreat laws will be.

For instance, Utah is a state that doesnt require a CCP to carry. At least at first glance, it seems that way. Does that mean if I dont have CCP from my state, that I can openly carry, conceal on both my person in public and in my car as I travel through their state? Same goes for KS, but when I click on KS, it mentions having a KS permit in other states. If KS and UT are permittless states, why does clicking on them mention a KS or UT permit in the links to each state. I dont get it.

Kansas is a permitless carry state, as you say above. That means that anyone who can legally own a gun in KS can carry concealed IN KANSAS. That doesn't allow you to carry In any state that requires a permit, or doesn't recognize a Kansas permit. Even though one is not required IN STATE, KS does issue permits that are recognized in other states, as indicated on the Handgunlaw.us map. If you are a KS resident, in order to carry in KY for example, you MUST have a KS permit.

Note that some states, notably CA, NM and IL do not recognize permits from other states. In IL, you CANNOT conceal carry with a permit from another state. Unload the gun, lock it in th trunk and put the ammo and magazines in another locked area of the vehicle.

Again, it is VERY important for you to understand the laws of every state you may visit or pass through.

Most state carry laws differ in one manner or another. If you depend on the internet for your legal questions, go to the state websites or handgunlaws.us and read and understand them for yourself. The arresting officer or the judge are likely not to care what someone on a forum told you about the state law you were just arrested for violating. I don't mean to sound harsh or mean, but read and understand those state laws for yourself.

additional information

If you go to California they do not accept any other States Concealed Carry Permit. You must lock your gun in the trunk of your car with your magazine and all ammo in a separate compartment. You cannot have the gun in the main compartment of the car in a center console or glove box. You might even get hassled if it is in a gun case inside the car and you have the keys to the lock on the gun case within your reach. Just to be clear your gun must be in its own case with no ammo anywhere in the case and locked. All ammunition must be stored separately but not necessarily having the ammo locked up just the gun case.
I believe Oregon is pretty much the same way.

Last edited:
Thanks for al of yalls help and replies. Its just frustrating trying to understand all of these different laws and regs from state to state along with the wording of the laws. At first glance, without any prior legal experience, it can be confusing and ambiguous until you begin to learn what is meant by different terms. All of your replies have helped me out. Thanks.

Bear in mind that even in a castle doctrin state and inside your car, your ability to just drive away from the situation will come into play.

Thanks for al of yalls help and replies. Its just frustrating trying to understand all of these different laws and regs from state to state along with the wording of the laws. At first glance, without any prior legal experience, it can be confusing and ambiguous until you begin to learn what is meant by different terms. All of your replies have helped me out. Thanks.
I travel a lot and have found that it's easier to form one style of carry and disposition of stratagy that conforms to the most restrictions and practice that anywhere I go. For example you might carry an 'assult weapon' ban compliant pistol all the time even while in nonAWB states so that you don't forget and carry a prohibited firearm into a restrictive state. Or you might always inform a cop that you're armed and show your permit even while in states with no 'duty to inform' so that you don't accidentally fail to inform in a state that requires it.

Regarding carry, keep it concealed and on your person, or unloaded in a locked hard case in your trunk with amunition in it's factory box under your passenger seat. Many states have some very stupid laws which, as you point out, are damn near impossible to learn of ahead of time even with due diligence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back