Carrying around kids

Mo4Sho

I wanted to hear from those with kids younger than 10. How do you CC around them. Or do you go over gun safety at the young age and they are aware of what you do and not to touch or say anything about it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Many local gun clubs/ranges offer children's gun safety classes. I would recommend attending one of those as soon as the children meet their minimum age requirement. I can't remember what our age limit was at my old gun club.

I "inherited" my stepdaughter at age 12 by marriage, so I can't tell you about kids under 10. I can tell you this story, though. I taught her about guns and safety as soon as mom and I got serious. We were at the gun range and she did not finish a magazine she was shooting. She dropped the magazine from the gun and set the gun down on the bench. She did not inspect the chamber, which would have ejected the loaded round. I asked her if the gun was unloaded and she said yes. I picked the gun up and shot the loaded round down range. She always inspected the chamber and locked the slide back after that.

Later on when she was 13 or 14 we went to the children's safetly class at our gun club taught by retired sheriffs. He had guns set up with the lasers for indoor targets. She went through the practical exam of simulated loaded, firing and clearing. When she was done, he looked at me and said, "I can tell you've done a lot of practicing with her!" We were both very proud.

Both of my kids were raised around guns. It's a standing rule in the house that any time they'd like to look at or handle a gun, they can let me know, I'll clear it, and they can look at it to their hearts content. My 11 year old just bought her first rifle (saved for it and everything) and is always asking to go shooting now. Teach the fundamentals young and it removes the mystery around them. They always knew I conceal carried, and watching me clip the IWB holster in was about the same as me grabbing my wallet. I even tell them to let me know (discreetly) if I'm printing in public. :)

When talking about others, I gave them the explanation that while we choose to own guns and handle them safely, others may not. To those people, guns are scary, so it's best that they don't know daddy is carrying because it's not our intention to scare anyone. I know, this will probably irk the open carry folks, but it was an explanation my kids could understand.

My son just turned 1, so hes into that phase where he has to touch and grab everything. I just slap his hand and take his hands away from my weapon when I carry, and when Im not carrying, its put way out of reach from him or locked up. As far as other kids go, I make it clear they are not to touch my weapon, and its up to their parents to do the rest.

I wanted to hear from those with kids younger than 10. How do you CC around them. Or do you go over gun safety at the young age and they are aware of what you do and not to touch or say anything about it.

I CC around them by simply not letting them know that I am CC'ing. They know I own firearms, but have never seen me carry my sidearm.

I have two special needs sons. It has taken a LONG time (my oldest is 15 and autistic, my youngest is 12 and has a different disorder), but they have finally gotten to the place where I can begin teaching them about firearms without them getting all crazy. Up to this point, I have used toy guns that were specially designated for firearms safety teaching - in other words, they were able to play with these specific guns, but they had to use them in a realistic manner. Their other toy guns they could play with like any kid does. When I saw them begin to use the designated guns while indexing the trigger, not shooting everyone in sight, and demonstrating other safe practices, I knew I could begin trusting them with the real thing, so I have very recently begun teaching them with an air rifle.

I have not yet told them that I am carrying for much the same reason. The whole point of CC is to not let anyone know, right? However, my two would get so geeked knowing that dad is carrying that they would tell everyone in sight. I wouldn't put it past one of them to suddenly stop someone in the grocery store and shout, "My dad has a gun!" Kinda defeats the whole purpose, and I really don't want their first lesson in CC to be the police frisking dad until they have satisfied themselves that he is indeed carrying legally.

My son is now 12. He fired his first firearm at 9. He has since completed 2 safety classes (Home FA Safety and Hunter Ed) and now has his own .22 rifle (locked in my safe of course).

Gun safety was always important and was discussed openly. It's just a part of daily life. They are never to young to learn how to be safe and what to do if they come across a gun.

When talking about others, I gave them the explanation that while we choose to own guns and handle them safely, others may not. To those people, guns are scary, so it's best that they don't know daddy is carrying because it's not our intention to scare anyone.

Well said :)

I think you need to teach them before they're taught by the street, friends, video games or airsoft fighting. Take the mystery out of it. Teach gun safety at a young age. Buy the Eddie Eagle materials and have them do the exercises and coloring books. More concerning than your gun is the idiot brother of a friend who gets-out dad's gun. Teach them to LEAVE IMMEDIATELY in such situations.

I have a 11 yo son and a 7 yo son and they both already know the 4 gun safety rules and how to safely handle a gun. I make sure they know there is a big difference between toy guns and real guns. Toy guns can be pointed at people but my youngest still points out to me how how keeps his finger off the trigger until ready to fire while holding a toy gun. I started gun safety with a BB gun and would often go outside with them so they can shoot it. I trust both of them now to be responsible with the BB gun. My oldest has been through the Texas hunter safety class and just shot his first deer.

My kids know I carry concealed. They were surprised after they found out that I was actually carrying but since then it is not a big issue. I think gun safety and familiarity is the most important thing for kids. If they are safe and comfortable with guns then they should not feel awkward when their mom or dad carries a gun.

I completely agree with BC1 above. The most dangerous situation is when some kids find access to a gun and wants to show it off. I have told me kids if they are at someones house and matches or guns are seen they need to tell an adult or get out of the house.

When talking about others, I gave them the explanation that while we choose to own guns and handle them safely, others may not. To those people, guns are scary, so it's best that they don't know daddy is carrying because it's not our intention to scare anyone. I know, this will probably irk the open carry folks, but it was an explanation my kids could understand.

That's a good one... I'll have to use it next time we talk about it.

My son is six, and understands the Eddie Eagle gun safety, as well as point it in a safe direction. I'll never forget him trying to get a two-year-old to point a toy in a safe direction! Too funny. I had to tell him that the kid was still a baby and couldn't understand yet.

I let him hold my guns if he asks... and he knows that if I say "not now" he'll get a chance later (wish I could drop everything when he asks, but I'm by myself here and it's not always possible). He knows I CC to "keep him safe from bad guys." He thinks that's pretty super-hero of me! lol

The funniest story was probably when I was going clothes shopping with him (needed some new shirts for CC, of course!). He had to go in the changing room with me, so he saw my gun. His eyes widened, and in a very theatrical (yet thankfully not too loud) whisper he said "Mom! I see something! I see your gun!" I warned him to stay quiet, and he wanted to know why I had it, so we had a very quiet conversation about staying safe. Then he was worried because he could see it and it wasn't a secret. I told him to close his eyes and put my cover garment back on. He declared that "Magic!!" So now I'm a super hero AND a magician.

This is all great information. I'm gonna look at the Eddie eagle information. Those that carry without their children's knowledge how do you relocate the weapon when entering a vehicle? Or do you leave it where it is?

Mine are well over 10 now, and I didn't carry back then, but they grew up with guns in the house. They were well aware of the rules right from the beginning. My older son (now 29) went shooting with me but never was into guns all that much. My younger son (25) has several guns of his own now.

I do sometimes have small children in my truck with me, but I don't change carry positions when I drive.

i have taught my children about guns and also taught them to shoot. They know that if i am not around they don't touch. However i never leave them where they can get them. I say teach them or they will try to find out on there own.

This is all great information. I'm gonna look at the Eddie eagle information. Those that carry without their children's knowledge how do you relocate the weapon when entering a vehicle? Or do you leave it where it is?

The only time I move it at all is if I have to leave it in the car for some reason... going in to a post office, for instance. But, my kid knows I carry so not quite the answer you're after. :)

I have a 4y.o. and a 6 month old and my 4y.o. knows I carry. I carry open in my home and concealed elsewhere. She knows my weapon is not a toy. When asked about it she can tell you what it is and that I carry it to help keep us safe from bad people

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back