Carry Ammunition Combination

wxman_RB

I carry a .45 ACP 1911 with Remington Golden Saber (+P) ammo, with two spare magazines. I have been thinking about switching the ammo in one magazine to a target type bullet. Any advice is appreciated.

If this is your EDC weapon then all your mags should be loaded with self defence ammo, and you should also be more than sure your gun runs on this ammo very well, however I sometimes carry a short barrel 500 mag with target ammo

I always use hollow point ammo in all my carry guns. My opinion is that FMJ is only for range use.

Ask three different people, and get three different answers.

My Father-in-law has HST JHP in his Para 1911.

His stepson is a LEO and carries Speer Lawman TMJ in his Glock 21 when off duty. He says the .45 is made for a full metal jacket and is slow enough that he does not have to worry about overpenetration.

My EDC is a .380 and I carry all JHP. I have read some people comment that they alternate FMJ and JHP in a 380 or smaller "just in case". Some make their first or last round FMJ. On my 380 I have standard pressure XTP bullets except for the last two rounds (first two loaded in the magazine) which are Buffalo Bore +P JHP. No way I am going to remember to count rounds in a fire fight so that first hard kick tells me I have one left and should do a tactical reload if possible.

I carry a .45 ACP 1911 with Remington Golden Saber (+P) ammo, with two spare magazines. I have been thinking about switching the ammo in one magazine to a target type bullet. Any advice is appreciated.

Personally, I wouldn't use two or more different types of ammo for self-defense.

A good lawyer will use anything to discredit you in a court of law. If you come up on charges for a justifiable (but not yet determined) shooting, be prepared to answer questions such as why you used the ammo you did. And if you have multiple types, this will be tougher to answer.

Find a good quality defense round, make sure it cycles well through your firearm, and stick with it.

Read up on wound ballistics here: Wound Ballistics, Ballistic Injury, Stopping Power, Gunshot Wounds

.45 FMJ will go through an attacker and wound him less. I don't see any practical (or legal) justification for using FMJ. Remember, you are accountable for every of your rounds.

If you are thinking about barrier penetration capability. Look at the self defense rounds that law enforcement is using, such as Federal HST.

That really sounds good, BUT do you have any case law to back that statement up??

Personally, I wouldn't use two or more different types of ammo for self-defense.

A good lawyer will use anything to discredit you in a court of law. If you come up on charges for a justifiable (but not yet determined) shooting, be prepared to answer questions such as why you used the ammo you did. And if you have multiple types, this will be tougher to answer.

Find a good quality defense round, make sure it cycles well through your firearm, and stick with it.

Define "target type bullet".

For me, that would be a lead full wadcutter or semi-wadcutter.

I can't think of why I'd want to carry that instead of the JHPs (and lead semi-wadcutter hollowwpoint .38s) I currently carry.

That really sounds good, BUT do you have any case law to back that statement up??

Can we agree that any lawyer will use whatever they can to discredit you? I would hope the answer is yes.

Am I going to go through every case that involved a shooting and see if they used this tactic to try to discredit the person, not convict him, but discredit him? No.

This would be a search of infinitesimal proportions.

Can we agree that any lawyer will use whatever they can to discredit you? I would hope the answer is yes.

This would be a search of infinitesimal proportions.

The BIG questions will be,
Were you legally in the place where you shot the BG?
Did you have a reasonable fear for your life or limb?
And when the LEO arrived on the scene did you get diarrhea mouth?
Most anything else your lawyer can take care of. It is the first three questions that will make him pull his/her hair out.
How about an example?
Bad guy come into a convenience store and starts head shooting people standing in line. He shoots the first three, you were number four, and you pull your firearm and give him the Mozambique drill.
You could jump up and down on him, then piss on him. It would not make any difference what type of rounds you had in your firearm. You were justified in your shooting. Now about the indecent exposure, that may be another question?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back