Carry Ammo - Single Type vs. Mixed

Providence Ranch

Looking for feedback on the pros and cons of carrying a single brand/model of ammo for personal defense, or a mixture of different types in the same mag(s). Have heard a couple of arguments, but sounds worthy of exploring. Ready, set, go!

Not sure if different ammo types in the same mag can increase your chances of a malfunction. But, why would you want to mix ammo types? If you had to use your gun in a crowded area, and you had a mag mixed with FMJ and JHP, then half your rounds are much more likely to go through your target and kill somebody else while only half of your rounds are likely to have the stopping power you like. I would not be comfortable not knowing what type of bullet was coming out of my gun, and even if you tried to make a pattern of alternating bullet types, you wont be counting your shots while you are in a life or death situation, so you wont know what you are shooting.

If you really want to carry JHP and FMJ for whatever reason, put FMJ in one mag, and JHP in another mag.

Go with what you can get, but try to keep loads with the same weight/type. Consistency is a factor to keep in mind, especially if you want to hit your target.

Consistency is a factor to keep in mind, especially if you want to hit your target.

Exactly! Different ammo will have different points of impact. Why add anything that will increase variance between shots?

What would be the pro's for carrying a mix of ammo?

There is no reason at all to carry mixed HP & Ball!

It's a dumb idea spawned by mall-ninja types who are trying to play "Tactical SF."

If you have time to change ammo to adjust for different tactical situations, you probably should have run while you could!

All premium self defense loads perform adequately against most ordinary barrier materials.

-Doc

I rotate my defense ammo once a year. When I try a verity of products and find one I like, I stick with it no matter what it is. This includes ammo. I have tried different brands of ammo, and found what best works for me. Mix and match can be a bad idea. I would sort your ammo, and find one you like most and stick with it.

I stick with the round that functions most reliably and hits closest to point of aim. I some times think some folks are loading like acft machine guns, with alternate rounds of WP, AP, HEI, or tracers and feel that covers all bases. If a person alternately loads FMJ & HP, then it maybe 50% of the shots fired are ineffective. Although shot placement is most important. I've known people who load different weights and snake shot also, in one revolver. How do they know the right round is lined up for the situation they're facing? Worse yet in a semi auto.

Ok, now that I have a few responses on board, ill share a couple of "pro mixing" theories be heard. I'm not sold on either them, but you asked, so here they are...

1. Mixing FMJ and JHP will give you a better chance of penetrating light body armor if your assailant wears it. Couple this with reasonable "be aware of your Target and what is in line with it" mentality, and you get the idea.

2. Mixing standard JHP ammo with specialty HP ammo like Hornady Critical Defense, to account for different potential outerwear on your assailant.

There you go...happy feeding! I'll save my personal philosophies for later.

I settled on bonded Golded Sabre's for the Glocks, .40 cal. It's proven against zombies in post shooting analysis' and our local PD uses them which will reduce any "he used horrible, maiming death bullets" argument from any DA or such.

The PM9 I may have from time to time have Corbon JHP +p's, the 9mm Golden Sabre's don't feed as well in the PM9.

Both those rounds feed in the associated gun perfectly. That's it, that's all. For IDPA or other fun stuff I'll just run some of the ball ammo I have.

I don't think I'll buy those theories. I carry a .45 auto. Ball or JHP will be stopped by armor. True armor-piercing handgun ammo is illegal (thanks to a BS expose launched by NBC years ago, that resulted in the injury and death of a number of cops shot by goblins who watch TV).

I generally like full weight bullets. In .45 it's 230 grain. I like Hydra Shok, but would carry any good JHP that's reliable in my gun. In .357 or .38 I might go as light as 125 grain, though I like good old 158 grainers in the field.

I have been known to be a bit short of premium defensive ammo when about to go shopping down in "civilization" (just slipping on a 1911 is fine at home, but a couple of extra magazines seem appropriate when visiting a city), so I'll grab a couple of magazines filled with ball. They are all 230 grain and jacketed, landing in pretty much the same place on a target. It's not that I'm mixing intentionally, it's just a case of grabbing what I have - and .45 bullets are pretty big even when they don't expand.

If I was a cop and in a service where shooting at a barricaded suspect or one in car seemed likely, I might carry one magazine of KTW, but in general I see no good reason to mix ammo. That business of mixing to accomodate different outerwear would only make sense if you were carrying low penetration ammo like the lightest Glaser or MagSafe; and that stuff doesn't make much sense except in special environments like that of a Sky Marshall.

Agreed

I agree with most of the above post, mixing ammo in a single mag is a bad idea. I don't see the point in carrying ball rounds, HP penetrate well enough in most situations.

If someone is armored well enough it doesn't matter what you carry. So carry what you find is best for most situations.

Mixing? Really? I'm thinking the attorney is gonna eat this up. You PLANNED this event? Carry JHPs just like LEOs. (The same brand is not needed.)

Oh... I've never seen body armor that covered the face. Just sayin...

I understand your ideas there about JHP versus armor, Hamilton Felix, but we agree on not mixing ammo!

I carry Hornady Critical defense in my Kahr CM9, and a spare mag with FMJ's if I were to ever need to shoot through a car door, barricade, etc.

I carry Hornady Critical defense in my Kahr CM9, and a spare mag with FMJ's if I were to ever need to shoot through a car door, barricade, etc.

Again, if you need to switch ammo to engage through auto parts, it might go better for you in court if you simply fled while you had the chance!

Those Hornady rounds will shoot adequately against most things you have business shooting thru.

Police take a dim view of mall-ninja-cop-special-forces-wannabee-clowns.

Btw, did you know most commercial FMJ loads are loaded LIGHT for practice?

-Doc

In my pistols I usually mix Hornaday Critical Defense and Corbon Powerball. I know that they're similar but I've seen tests where the results (under the same conditions) have shown substantial differences in performance. Sometimes the CD is better, sometimes the PB has been better. I figure one of them should do the job in any given circumstance.

In my home defense shotgun I alternate between slug and 00 buck.

Does it count as mixing if we have His & Hers shotguns, mine loaded with slugs but buck on the Sidesaddle, hers loaded with buck but slugs on the Sidesaddle?

Fact is, mine has rifle sights and I'm thinking more about the bear we sometimes get in our back yard. Hers has the fancy SureFire fore end light and she's thinking more about anti-personnel defensive use.

I'm unlikely to mix the loads in a magazine or cylinder. I want to know what's in the chamber, even if I've lost count of shots. (And there's no way I'll do that silly "birdshot round first" thing, in the misguided hope I can "discourage someone without having to kill them.")

Like others have said there is no good reason to mix types in a single magazine. When carrying multiple magazine I could possibly see a advantage for LEO, but a cilivilan should flee (unless we are in the middle of a Zombie attack). Same thing with the shotgun with a single tube, now with Kel Tec's new shotty with dual tubes I might load one tube with slugs and the.second tube with 00 buck. My 2¢.

JHP and nothing else on the street - Hydra-Shoks. I use ball only for target practice.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back