Car Storage for Handgun

McE

What options are there for storing a handgun in your car? I know some people have small locked compartments, but what is the point of having a gun locked away in your car? What about the laws about having a loaded firearm within reach while driving? Is it enough to have the gun and a loaded magazine stored in 2 separate, but still within reach, locations?
I know it may vary by state, but I travel a lot so any answers will be useful.

McE,
It's not about securing it when you are in the car but when you can't carry it into the building due to the law or company policy. This is what I use while I'm at work: Link Removed

Well...I have a CCW Permit that allows me to have a loaded handgun in my car. If I have to leave it in my vehicle for any reason, I don't want anyone to get at it. So I purchased a small lockable vault that slips under my drivers side seat. It also cables to the seat frame to help stop anyone from snatch and grabbing the vault itself it easily. I can also lock up my wallet etc. if needed in the little safe. I would recommend it to anyone for temporary lockable storage when needed. My 2 cents.

I also use a Nanovault. I can't carry at work, but to and from work I like to be armed. You never know when something could happen. Although the area of town my work is at is very upscale, there's also a chance someone will break in and try to steal my gun. Having it in a nanovault with the cable attached to an immovable, tough part of the body prevents it from being stolen unless my whole stinkin' vehicle disappears.

I also have an ugly vehicle, so it's less likely to be stolen. It runs great and I take care of it, but it's ugly.

I bought a vault that mounts hidden in a storage compartment in my truck. I also have a CCW but when I go into states I can't carry my weapon goes there locked and ammo into a separate locked area behind my back seat.

What options are there for storing a handgun in your car? I know some people have small locked compartments, but what is the point of having a gun locked away in your car? What about the laws about having a loaded firearm within reach while driving? Is it enough to have the gun and a loaded magazine stored in 2 separate, but still within reach, locations?

I use a nanovault 300 (combo) in case I have to go somewhere I can't carry... courthouse, etc. If you're traveling outside your own state, you need to look up the laws for each state. If you are traveling through a state which does not honor your permit, you need to secure your UNLOADED handgun either in the trunk, or in a SUV, in a locked case. The ammo has to be separate from the gun. When we travel, I take two nanovaults, one for the guns, the other for the ammo & magazines. Plus, I keep extra ammo in a locked ammo box. That will hopefully keep you compliant under FOPA.

McE,
It's not about securing it when you are in the car but when you can't carry it into the building due to the law or company policy.

This... not about a long-term storage solution, but more for when I have to leave it behind (although I tend to avoid patronizing places that don't respect my right to self-protection).

Console Vault | Buy Direct For Lowest Price + Free Shipping

Made in the USA, uber-fast shipping, made for many makes and models of cars, and easy to install yourself. Tons of testimonials about how well it works, and can be used for so much for than things that go bang. Like anything, I'm sure that with the right tools, a determined thief could get in, but not worth the hassle in your typical smash-n-grab.

Also have a nano-vault with cable tie that I used before upgrading to the console vault.

It would depend on which state's you travel. The laws vary quite a bit from state to state when travelling with a handgun and there's no broad answer here.

Be careful, general guidelines for interstate travel is to keep the firearm unloaded and in a locked case, and in the farthest compartment away from the driver (e.g., trunk). Glove compartment and console do not qualify. Ammo should also be in a separate, locked container.

In states where you have a state-recognized CCW license, please refer to the rules and regulations for those particular states.

That console vault looks pretty neat, but not available for my car. I don't have space under my seats for a vault (power/heated seats will do that)

That console vault looks pretty neat, but not available for my car. I don't have space under my seats for a vault (power/heated seats will do that)

I had that problem with my old car. No space anywhere in the main cabin to have a small microvault-sized storage container. Solution? Get a new car! Just kidding. It was frustrating for a long time until my wife and I bought another car.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back