CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

Can I travel with shotgun in a locked case on local train in NJ on way to airport?

markbavi

I plan to fly to Illinois from NJ to participate in a sporting clays competition. I want to take my shotgun. This will not be a problem on the plane, however, in NJ I must take the train to the airport. Can I transport the gun broken down and in a locked case on the train? The statutes I read all refer to transporting a firearm in a car or vehicle and require that the weapon not be accessible and in a locked case. Of course on the train the gun will be in my possession at all times. Any experience with this?

I'm not an attorney, nor am I a NJ resident. But this might be a place to start:

New Jersey: State Firearms Laws

It would seem to me that this covers you. However - I'd consult with an attorney in your state to be sure. Also, you may want to check with the owners/operators of the train; they may have a policy about firearms that you need to be aware of.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Phil. I agree that this part of the statutes you include should allow me free passage. However, I am not an attorney and I know there are meanings to words that are not obvious. Good advice to speak with an attorney which I will try to do. I have already spoken to 3 police officers and gotten 3 different answers. That scares me.

When traveling via a "common carrier" you technically surrender your weapon to the care of the pilot/engineer, so they ought to direct you as to how they wish you handle it.

That isn't surprising. Police officers are not attorneys or otherwise experts on the law, especially the finer points. While I firmly believe they SHOULD be more knowledgable...you have to consider how the job works. Basically, since the advent of 911, it's become TRIAGE more than anything. Calls come in, and cops have to chase the radio based on priority and proximity.

With that in mind...my thought is that if you have a locked and discreet firearms case on the train, you won't have any issues, because no one is going to make the phone call. The more it looks like a firearms case, the more likely it is that someone will make the call and you'll get hassled or even detained. While you may be ok under the law in the end, your day is still ruined while you get things sorted out.

Maybe you should consider driving, getting a ride from a friend, or taking a taxi, just to be sure?

(NOT that I'm suggesting giving up your rights under the law...but it becomes a question of what's more important to you - exercising your rights under the law? Or making sure you get to your match on time?)

You are right Phil. I do not mean to sell our friends in blue short. I guess I didn't really think about everything else they have to worry about. After discussing the issue with others I will be getting a ride to the airport. I just wouldn't have the time to commit to a stop and explain. There are just too many unanswered questions.

I think you're making the right choice - but this would be an interesting question for you to research more fully sometime. I, for one, would love to hear what you come up with.

Email