Can I travel with shotgun in a locked case on local train in NJ on way to airport?

markbavi

I plan to fly to Illinois from NJ to participate in a sporting clays competition. I want to take my shotgun. This will not be a problem on the plane, however, in NJ I must take the train to the airport. Can I transport the gun broken down and in a locked case on the train? The statutes I read all refer to transporting a firearm in a car or vehicle and require that the weapon not be accessible and in a locked case. Of course on the train the gun will be in my possession at all times. Any experience with this?

I'm not an attorney, nor am I a NJ resident. But this might be a place to start:

New Jersey: State Firearms Laws

Possession

It is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a Permit to Carry. It is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID).
Exceptions: No Permit to Carry or FID is required:

1. To keep or carry any firearm about a person's place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location.

2. To carry any firearm ``unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances'' from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair.

3. To transport such firearms as necessary for target practice, in the manner described in paragraph (2) above, by a member of a gun club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice in going to or from a place of target practice, provided the club has filed a copy of its charter with the Superintendent of State Police and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent.

4. To transport any firearm, in the manner described in paragraph (2) above, while traveling:

1. Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided such person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

2. Directly to or from any target range or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions: or

3. Directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any gun club or gun collectors' club for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to members of such organization or club, provided that not less than 30 days prior to such exhibition or display notice shall be given to the Superintendent of State Police by the sponsoring organization or club and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate.​

It would seem to me that this covers you. However - I'd consult with an attorney in your state to be sure. Also, you may want to check with the owners/operators of the train; they may have a policy about firearms that you need to be aware of.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Phil. I agree that this part of the statutes you include should allow me free passage. However, I am not an attorney and I know there are meanings to words that are not obvious. Good advice to speak with an attorney which I will try to do. I have already spoken to 3 police officers and gotten 3 different answers. That scares me.

When traveling via a "common carrier" you technically surrender your weapon to the care of the pilot/engineer, so they ought to direct you as to how they wish you handle it.

Thanks Phil. I agree that this part of the statutes you include should allow me free passage. However, I am not an attorney and I know there are meanings to words that are not obvious. Good advice to speak with an attorney which I will try to do. I have already spoken to 3 police officers and gotten 3 different answers. That scares me.

That isn't surprising. Police officers are not attorneys or otherwise experts on the law, especially the finer points. While I firmly believe they SHOULD be more knowledgable...you have to consider how the job works. Basically, since the advent of 911, it's become TRIAGE more than anything. Calls come in, and cops have to chase the radio based on priority and proximity.

With that in mind...my thought is that if you have a locked and discreet firearms case on the train, you won't have any issues, because no one is going to make the phone call. The more it looks like a firearms case, the more likely it is that someone will make the call and you'll get hassled or even detained. While you may be ok under the law in the end, your day is still ruined while you get things sorted out.

Maybe you should consider driving, getting a ride from a friend, or taking a taxi, just to be sure?

(NOT that I'm suggesting giving up your rights under the law...but it becomes a question of what's more important to you - exercising your rights under the law? Or making sure you get to your match on time?) :)

You are right Phil. I do not mean to sell our friends in blue short. I guess I didn't really think about everything else they have to worry about. After discussing the issue with others I will be getting a ride to the airport. I just wouldn't have the time to commit to a stop and explain. There are just too many unanswered questions.

You are right Phil. I do not mean to sell our friends in blue short. I guess I didn't really think about everything else they have to worry about. After discussing the issue with others I will be getting a ride to the airport. I just wouldn't have the time to commit to a stop and explain. There are just too many unanswered questions.

I think you're making the right choice - but this would be an interesting question for you to research more fully sometime. I, for one, would love to hear what you come up with.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back