Can I be an Oklahoma resident but have a non resident Virginia license and be legal.?

Rains

First I want to apologize if this has been asked a billion times before. I searched and couldn't find anything.

Okay I live in Oklahoma but was told that I could speed up the entire process of getting my CCl if I was just to take the Virginia online course and get a Virginia non resident permit instead...??

Is this true..?? OK will apparently recognize under their reciprocity agreement with VA, even for a OK resident from what I've found.

Non-resident licences are just what they sound like, non residents. Under restrictions, which vary from each state, some states create an income chain, by selling non-resident licences. To my knowledge, they only work in states you do not live in. Maybe work in Ok, if you move to TX? Check your local laws. Handgunlaw.us

You are thinking that it is reciprocity...that is not what recognition is.

JimTH is exactly correct this time.

Looking further into this, I cannot say it would work or not. I would not try it. maybe it would.

Virginia State Police - Concealed Handgun - Reciprocity and Recognition

Why not just ask the Virginia state police?

[email protected]

You are thinking that it is reciprocity...that is not what recognition is.

You go to Virginia resources to determine if Virginia will issue their permit or not. You do not go to Virginia resources to determine if their permit is recognized by/in Oklahoma or not, you have to go to Oklahoma resources for that.

This is from Oklahoma statutes:
§21-1290.26. Reciprocal agreement authority.
RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.
A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.
B. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority of a state that is a nonpermitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state.

If Virginia issues non-resident permits to Oklahoma residents that do not have limitations of "valid in Virginia only" then that permit will be recognized by Oklahoma. There is nothing in Oklahoma statute that limits recognition of out-of-state permits only if the person is not a resident of Oklahoma (like there is in Washington state law.)

Thanks for all the replies...

I've contacted OSBI and I"m good to go. Should be mailing everything off Friday.

Imho what you have if you pull this off is a technicality. As a bad example, you have a hotel room key to room 101 that also opens room 201 upstairs. Just because your key opens up room 201, the hotel management will not expect you in that room upstairs and if challenged, you may be found to be trespassing even though your room key fits both doors.

Keep us informed. Will be interesting to see how your first traffic stop goes.

So you get a VA license. You live in OK. OK will recognize your VA license.

So far, so good.

Till the first time you're asked by an OK cop for a license and all you have to show is a VA document. While it might be legit, the cop on the street may not be fully aware of the legality and will, at a minimum, delay your getting wherever you're going.

Also, the VA permit will not get you the exemption to the FEDERAL 1000 foot gun free zone around schools. You will be violating that most any time you drive through any urban area.

Get your OK license. Then get any additional ones that add more states to the coverage you have. That's my advice.
And there aren't many more states you could add with a non-res license, OK has pretty good coverage.

I will sometimes eat ice cream with a fork, because its convenient, but it is not good table manors. Short cuts at dinner? No big deal. Short cuts concealing a gun? Not a prudent way to conduct business.

I find it interesting that Rains called the permit issuing authority for all of Oklahoma - the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - and they told him he was just fine with a Virginia permit but all the internet bliss ninnies are afraid to go with what OSBI and the state statutes say because they fear that a LEO during a traffic stop might have a fit.

However... the fact that an out-of-state permit does not exempt a person from the 1000' Federal Gun Free School Zone Act is true. Which basically nullifies any reciprocity for anyone wishing to carry in a state they don't have a permit from, not to mention residents of Vermont, Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming who can open or conceal carry without a permit and all those people who open carry without a permit in all the states that it is legal to do so.

To be politically correct, and be prudent, in the times we live in, I would walk the long away around any school property, in your state, or in any other.

simply pass a 20-question exam and you’ll then be eligible for the Virginia Non-Resident Multi-State Permit, which is valid in Oklahoma and 28 other states! Take the Oklahoma Open/conceal and you are good to go in 36.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back