Can a Florida resident concealed carry a pistol only holding an out of state license?

JDoe

Relocating to Florida for work and need some answers or suggestions regarding Concealed Pistol License transition.

In order to start work in Florida I have to establish residency by: (1) Having a physical address in Florida (2) Forfeit my Michigan driver’s license and (3) pay a fee to DMV to be issued a Florida drivers license.

According to the state of Florida, a recent Homeland Security continuity of residency act or law (not sure which), a US citizen can no longer hold more than one state issued identification. In my case and for this question, the identification I’m referring to will be a driver’s license. Years ago you could hold dual residency in two separate states but not any longer i guess.

Florida does acknowledge and have reciprocity with Michigan, and Michigan does acknowledge and have reciprocity with Florida. So, I could simply apply for Florida CPL as an out of state applicant and just pay the fee.

However, moving the family across the country means we are on a tight budget as we are funding the relocation out of our pockets. We will be taking on entry level jobs in Florida so were not receiving relocation pay or a stipend from the prospective employer. Between the wife and I, completing the out of state CPL application a head of time for two would cost over $200.

So, my question is;

If we wait until after we get settled in to apply for a Florida CPL, will our Michigan CPL still be recognized as valid, allowing us to cancel carry a postal in Florida until we apply for a Florida CPL, even thou we have legally changed our resident status from Michigan to Florida?

Or, will our right to cancel carry a pistol in Florida become void until we complete the Florida application process and have the state issued CPL in hand because we changed our resident status/drivers license.

Many of you may say, just complete it ahead of time, but we don’t want to have the added pre-travel expense if we don’t have to. I’m willing to not carry for a short transition period, but the wife isn’t so fond of the idea. Hence why I ask...

Hope I explained the situation and my question clearly. Suggestions, comments and concerns welcomed…

Thank you for your time and input.

According to the state of Florida, a recent Homeland Security continuity of residency act or law (not sure which), a US citizen can no longer hold more than one state issued identification. In my case and for this question, the identification I’m referring to will be a driver’s license. Years ago you could hold dual residency in two separate states but not any longer i guess.

That has been the case since long before Homeland Security existed. Thank truck drivers for that one! (I'm a truck driver haha)

If we wait until after we get settled in to apply for a Florida CPL, will our Michigan CPL still be recognized as valid, allowing us to cancel carry a postal in Florida until we apply for a Florida CPL, even thou we have legally changed our resident status from Michigan to Florida?

Or, will our right to cancel carry a pistol in Florida become void until we complete the Florida application process and have the state issued CPL in hand because we changed our resident status/drivers license.

That depends on MI, in some states the permit is valid until it's either expired or is revoked. In other's once your no longer a resident (getting the FL license) will automatically void the MI permit. In my home state (MA) once you loose MA residency your permit is void and you must apply for a Non-Res one. In my current state (VA) it's good until it expires or revoked regardless of your address. If I remember correctly FL doesn't differentiate between residents and non residents may be worth the leg work to just get it now.

Once you give up your Michigan Driver license, your CPL is not valid. If you return to Michigan and get a new Mi driver license it will be active again as long as it hasn't expired. You can get a Florida license prior to you moving and you will be covered during your move.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back