Caliber for hiking?

telpinaro

Currently I have a 2" revolver in .357 magnum, but I've been toying with the idea of getting something along the lines of a full-size XD-M (no idea what yet, but something like that) in .45. Mostly, just because I want one.

What would you take hiking with you? Or would you get something completely different? The only animals out here are mountain lions, brown and black bears, moose and elk.

With brown bears around my choice would be a Ruger Redhawk in either .44 mag. or .454 casul. A .45 acp isn't powerful enough. Check the Taylor Knockout Factor (TKOF) index. The only drawbacks are the weight and recoil, but it's better than becomming a bear's lunch. I wouldn't take a chance with an animal that can weigh 1400 lbs. and run 40 mph.

Both are excellent choices. I carried a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Long Colt all over the Western United States for twenty-five years, and I never felt "undergunned" with that.

I was kind of thinking that... I'm pretty tiny (my wrists are just over 5" around), but as long as I can shoot it straight I'm happy. I still want a full-size semi-auto something or other, just because. And if I'm not a fan of .44 or .45 long colt, I could give it to my husband when he moves back here and he can carry it, and I'll carry something else as back up.

No range I've seen nearby has any revolvers like that... I'd really like to try something that big before I buy...

It's just a thought but try a firearms dealer. Small rural stores seem to be cooperative and often have a range out back.

With brown bears around my choice would be a Ruger Redhawk in either .44 mag. or .454 casul. A .45 acp isn't powerful enough. Check the Taylor Knockout Factor (TKOF) index. The only drawbacks are the weight and recoil, but it's better than becomming a bear's lunch. I wouldn't take a chance with an animal that can weigh 1400 lbs. and run 40 mph.

Being in Colorado when she says "brown" bears she means brown colored black bears. There hasn't been a confirmed grizzly bear sighting in Colorado since 1979.

Being in Colorado when she says "brown" bears she means brown colored black bears. There hasn't been a confirmed grizzly bear sighting in Colorado since 1979.

Yep. Everyone I've met always says both, so I did... Though I'd love to hike in AK some day!

Yep. Everyone I've met always says both, so I did... Though I'd love to hike in AK some day!

I'm not an expert and I've never hunted bear but all the research I've done indicates that you will be adequately armed with your .357 and that a .45APC is actually not a good round for bears.

That doesn't make sense to me though because your average black bear is roughly the size of a human and a .45 will stop a human.

Maybe a bear physiology expert can explain

My choice would be my Smith & Wesson 629 Classic .44 Magnum with the 5" barrel . Just the right size,balance ,power and weight. With the 250 grain Winchester Partition Gold,which I am fondling at this moment,it will handle most anything 2 or 4 legged in North America. A really great gun and round for all occasions.

SW62924.jpg

I'd use my .22.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Carrabelle Woman Shoots Black Bear on Back Porch

Link Removed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just joking!

I'm not an expert and I've never hunted bear but all the research I've done indicates that you will be adequately armed with your .357 and that a .45APC is actually not a good round for bears.

That doesn't make sense to me though because your average black bear is roughly the size of a human and a .45 will stop a human.

Maybe a bear physiology expert can explain

The article I submitted goes into this a bit. For the short of it, bears' hides are thicker and their muscle tissue is denser. You want a round that penetrates more than expands.

Currently I have a 2" revolver in .357 magnum, but I've been toying with the idea of getting something along the lines of a full-size XD-M (no idea what yet, but something like that) in .45. Mostly, just because I want one.

What would you take hiking with you? Or would you get something completely different? The only animals out here are mountain lions, brown and black bears, moose and elk.

I carry a .454 Alaskan in the woods as much for bears as for bad guys. It's also the only time I OC.

I don't have to contend with brown bears or elk in the woods here. When I hike I carry one of my normal CCW guns (a Glock 20 or 29) but I swap out my carry load with ammo designed for 4-legged threats - Underwood 200gr TMJ, 200gr XTP or sometimes 220gr HCFN.

If contact with bears is really likely I'll carry a can of bear spray too. I don't want to have to kill one if I don't have to...

If bigger critters were a worry I'd probably supplement with a long gun. :)

If you want to go with an auto I'd recommend a full size 1911 in 10MM Auto. Since you said you were tiny, of all the automatics that can be had in 10MM the 1911 is the one best suited for small hands (not that it's great). The 10mm is very versatile, you can get it in loading that approximate everything from mild .40 S&W all the way through full pressure factory 180 Gr. .44 Mag. It's heavy, and the hotter loads are going to have substantial recoil, but it'll do the job on black bear or mountain lion if you place your bullets well.

S&W Governor with first 2 or 3 rounds .410 self-defense followed by .45 long colt rounds. Aim for the eyeballs - to blind or to get a round into the brain easily.

S&W Governor with first 2 or 3 rounds .410 self-defense followed by .45 long colt rounds. Aim for the eyeballs - to blind or to get a round into the brain easily.

I know these shotvolvers are popular but for the life of me I don't know why! They are big, heavy, IMO heinously ugly (sorry), and of limited utility, from what I have read, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, accuracy with .45 LC is poor and the pattern from even the PDX loads is pretty huge past 10 yards. For a nightstand gun, OK, they would be pretty lethal at spitting range with proper loads. But for anything past 10 yards they are a non starter, and believe me, If I have a bear or mountain lion looking at me like I'm a 200 lb meat snack, I want the ability to land a shot as far away as possible.

I you do decide on an XDm, I would recommend going with the 5.25". Yes, it costs more, but it's worth it. I love mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back