buying handguns in other states

RockyTopDC

Hey guys, this might be a silly question, but can someone buy a handgun in another state than where they live?

I'm pretty sure you can purchase but it has to be sent to a ffl dealer on your own state it may very state to state but I know it has to be sent to a ffl dealer when bought in ky

Ok so I could purchase a handgun out of my state, and ship it to a ffl dealer in my home state and then pick it up there. I live in Kansas and have found really good gun prices where I use to live in ky so I'm curious.
If I am in KY and purchase a gun there, can I take the gun out and shoot it, or do I have to ship it right away to a ffl dealer in KS. Or can I purchase it in ky then bring it to KS and then register it?

No

No, you cannot buy a handgun outside your state of residence. You can have the dealer ship it to an FFL in your state who will then complete the sale/transfer. Firearms can only be shipped to an FFL, regardless of state.

Ok so I could purchase a handgun out of my state, and ship it to a ffl dealer in my home state and then pick it up there. I live in Kansas and have found really good gun prices where I use to live in ky so I'm curious.
If I am in KY and purchase a gun there, can I take the gun out and shoot it, or do I have to ship it right away to a ffl dealer in KS. Or can I purchase it in ky then bring it to KS and then register it?
You cannot take possession of it so you'd have to use a range at the gunshop to try it. If they have one. Other way would be for the dealer to take it to the range but that means having to log it out and back in in case of a visit by the BATFE agents.

Yes once it is shipped out of state you found the gun in and sent to your home state the ffl dealer will do the final sell there are quite a few ranges in ky that allow you to shoot rental guns

No, you cannot buy a handgun outside your state of residence. You can have the dealer ship it to an FFL in your state who will then complete the sale/transfer. Firearms can only be shipped to an FFL, regardless of state.

1. Yes, you can buy a handgun outside your state of residence. Once the handgun is paid for it becomes the buyer's property, and the buyer becomes the owner.
2. The receiving FFL in the state of residence of the buyer will not complete the sale. They will do the transfer only. If the handgun cannot be transferred to buyer for some reason, the buyer still owns the gun. They just cannot legally possess it. It is then 100% the buyer's responsibility what happens to that gun.
3. Firearms can be shipped to private parties by other private parties within the same state (most state laws allow this). Interstate, they must be shipped to FFLs.

Once you purchase the handgun out of state, the seller or an FFL must be the one who ships the gun to the receiving FFL in your own state of residence. You cannot legally take possession of the handgun in KY to ship it to the KS FFL.

Thanks guys. To clear things up, I can buy a handgun in another state and have them ship it to a ffl shop here in KS, where I will be able to take legal possession of it.

Thanks guys. To clear things up, I can buy a handgun in another state and have them ship it to a ffl shop here in KS, where I will be able to take legal possession of it.

Yep! That's it. Make sure and have the arrangements made ahead of time with the receiving FFL in KS. Different FFLs will have their own requirements about receiving firearms for transfer only. You don't want to catch the receiving FFL off guard by receiving a gun he is not expecting and doesn't know who it is going to and you don't the receiving FFL upset because the gun did not come with whatever he wants included with it. Most FFLs who receive guns for transfer from/to private parties will want a copy of the seller/sender's ID such as driver's license and the name/address/phone number of who the gun is going to included in the box with the gun. Some FFLs like an ATTN TO: line in the address on the package itself with the name of the buyer.

1. Yes, you can buy a handgun outside your state of residence. Once the handgun is paid for it becomes the buyer's property, and the buyer becomes the owner.
2. The receiving FFL in the state of residence of the buyer will not complete the sale. They will do the transfer only. If the handgun cannot be transferred to buyer for some reason, the buyer still owns the gun. They just cannot legally possess it. It is then 100% the buyer's responsibility what happens to that gun.
3. Firearms can be shipped to private parties by other private parties within the same state (most state laws allow this). Interstate, they must be shipped to FFLs.

Sorry, I was grouping "buying" and transferring. Legally, to the ATF, the selling dealer, is the one completing the transfer. As for shipping, I was speaking only of interstate transport, since that's what we're discussing here.

Sorry, I was grouping "buying" and transferring. Legally, to the ATF, the selling dealer, is the one completing the transfer. As for shipping, I was speaking only of interstate transport, since that's what we're discussing here.

NavyLCDR did you a nice service. Please reread his post #7! The selling dealer does not complete the transfer if you are from out of state! He completes the SALE. It is then sent to a dealer (FFL) in the state where you live, most likely in a town near you. You will have made arrangements with your "hometown" dealer in advance, getting any special instructions, his address and and most importantly his FFL number to be supplied to the out of state dealer you are buying the gun from.
That ought to end any questions about buying a gun out of state in person or over the net! Good job Navy! All he has to do is re read your helpful post.

There are a few more things to consider as far as the price of out of state or even in state if it is being shipped. First shipping charges and second the FFL holder in your state is probably going to charge a fee for handling the transfer (usually $20-$30). There are several gun shops in KY that have web sites and shipping. The reason I mentioned that last part is if you order it without actually going to the store and it's shipped out of state you should be able to avoid state sales tax (6% in KY).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back