buying a new gun

mopar1938

Does anybody know anything about the rock island armory 22tcm? I am thinking about buying one. It has a 9mm conversion kit with it.

No personal experience, but, there many video clips on the web showing the gun in action. Most all the reviews are positive. I'm kind of thinking I may like one too.

Howdy,

There's been about 37 different .22/9mm on the market down through the years that never caught on.

About the only thing that they would be good for were maybe small game hunting or attempting to penetrate SBA.

Paul

I have the 5" version of the 9mm/22TCM. Can't tell you a darned thing about the 22 TCM cartridge, except that it is a necked down .223 Remington; thus the conversion kit has an additional extractor. Their instruction manual is the worst I've seen in the gun industry, and is down there with CHICOM product manuals. With that said, they did post some videos on youtube (oddly enough though, not on their own website) that explain how to remove and replace the extractor. By the way, 9mm extractors are WAY harder to remove than a 45 extractor! Infact, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get the 9mm extractor out, now that it's in there. I guess you could say I need an extractor for my extractor!
Anyway, the 9mm setup has been flawless in about 400 rounds. That is to say, absolutely no failures of ANY kind. Fit and finish are pretty good for the price range, smooth outside with minor milling marks inside. The parkerizing was good. I'd recommend springing for the VZ grips. I didn't and the factory rubber ones are pretty hokey. Armscorp makes both components and loaded ammo for the 22 TCM. I obviously haven't tried that, but their 30 Carbine is pretty good stuff, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It's also not that expensive!
My only grip about the gun is that the thumb safety is relatively low profile and a bit sharp. I'm tempted to replace it with an Ed Brown or Wilson, but one could certainly just knock the edge off a bit too. Either way, small complaint on such an easy shooting, 16+1, pistol. Oh yeah, I know the manual says the mag holds 17, but I can't squeeze that last one in for the life of me!
I'd definitely recommend buying it as a 9mm, the 22TCM is a nice bonus.

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if spare mags are available. The last one I saw as 34.95, kinda pricey for a magazine.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back