buying a handgun

willpruitt

I'm thinking bout buying a handgun, I already have one that my dad gave me. I was wondering what the process is for buying one. I would like to have another one, but I was just wondering if y'all could give me an idea of what I'm bout to go through. I live in Indiana if you could help it would be very grateful.

Best thing would be to go to a range that has loaners, so you can see what you like. Then you go to a store pick out what you want, fill out some paperwork, show your ID (you're not a felon right?), wait a few days and go pick it up. (Double check all this on the IN thread.)

How about gett'n lost in gobbly gook: Google

Or, ask that same question to the nice person behind the counter at your local gun shop.

WillPruitt, it's not as traumatic as you might think! There is a two-page form that every dealer requires you to fill out. It has questions you must answer truthfully such as "Have you ever been charged with a felony" and "Have you ever been judged a mental defective." even a yes answer to some of these does not necessarily mean you will be denied, but if you lie, it does mean the BATFE will be more likely to deny it .

So you pay for the gun, fill out the form, wait the mandatory period, if your state has one, then take your gun home! It's a very simple, straightforward procedure with just a little paperwork. :D :cool:

As far as I know in Indiana the process for buying a handgun is pretty simple. You go in, fill out the ATF Form 4473 (you will need a government-issued ID of some kind, your social security number), pass an NICS background check, pay the man and walk out with it. There is no state mandated waiting period for firearms purchases in Indiana. On 11 May, 2011 Gov. Mitch Daniels signed into law a preemption law which, with only a few exceptions, makes the gun laws throughout Indiana uniform and leaves the regulation of firearms to the legislature. The gun dealer will know, you might want to chat with the dealer about local requirements.

Firearms law:
Link Removed

State Preemption:
Link Removed

Happy shopping!

Last gun I bought in Indiana was very simple. Pick the one you want, fill out the appropriate paperwork at you local gun shop, get approval or wait the 3 days. Buy ammo and go shoot the gun.

Easy as pie in Indiana. As long as you can pass the background check you should be good to go.

Best thing would be to go to a range that has loaners, so you can see what you like. Then you go to a store pick out what you want, fill out some paperwork, show your ID (you're not a felon right?), wait a few days and go pick it up. (Double check all this on the IN thread.)
Not all states have a waiting period. I've bought three handguns in the last three years in New Mexico, and after filling out the paperwork and watching the dealer make a phone call, I paid for them and walked out with the guns.

(you will need a government-issued ID of some kind, your social security number)

Social security number is not required to be on the ID or the form 4473. A person can fill it in on the form 4473 optionally to aviod mistaken identity. You will have to have a government issued photo ID - most commonly a driver's license - which shows your state of residence.

Other than that - what the others have said:
Pick out the gun, fill out the form 4473. Dealer calls NICS, or does it via computer. NICS will come back with 1 of 3 answers in usually less than 5 minutes:

Proceed - you walk out of the store with the gun.
Delayed - you wait up to 3 days for NICS to give a final answer, or the gun shop may transfer the gun to you after 3 business days.
Denied - you get the NTN (Transaction Number) and file an appeal for the denial.

In many states, having a CCW/CWorF license/permit negates the 3 day wait if approved on a NICS check.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back