Bullet setback

misunderstood

Friendly reminder to keep eye out for it. Other night checked my pistols and found two. Weird thing is one bullet was never loaded using slide.

Bottom one is too blurry to tell what's what, but I can tell in the top one, one is shorter than the other. It seems to be that one of the bullets isn't seated to the proper depth?
But please tell me what problems can arise from this.... serious... I don't know..

There is the possibility of having some different preasure in the bullet that is seated a little deeper. I would think it probably will not be that noticeable in the 380, there's not alot of powder in that cartridge. On a larger caliber it could be a real problem, particularly in a magnum load, where preasures are alot more.

Possible boom on wrong end on pistol. Both are hornady. Top are 45 tap and bottom is 380 zombie. Both might shoot fine but not take chance. I like to keep my fingers. Ever heard of a person accidentally plugging end of a shotgun? Not good for either end. Same result. Google image of bullet setback. You will see.

If cartridge is placed in barrel the slide will not cram bullet against ramp or barrel end causing bullet set back. The normal loading of cartridge is when the cartridge is stripped from mag the round is tilted so that it hits the feed ramp at an angle pointing the bullet to go into the barrel, not hit the barrel straight on causing the bullet to be set back. This can cause high enough pressures to blow up the receiver and your fingers. Especially if done repeatedly.
Since this is the first round used would be very unlucky if fired during a self defence action. To say the least!
This is what I understand it to be as explained to me by my gunsmith. Your mileage may vary.

If cartridge is placed in barrel the slide will not cram bullet against ramp or barrel end causing bullet set back. The normal loading of cartridge is when the cartridge is stripped from mag the round is tilted so that it hits the feed ramp at an angle pointing the bullet to go into the barrel, not hit the barrel straight on causing the bullet to be set back. This can cause high enough pressures to blow up the receiver and your fingers. Especially if done repeatedly.
Since this is the first round used would be very unlucky if fired during a self defence action. To say the least!
This is what I understand it to be as explained to me by my gunsmith. Your mileage may vary.

I agree with all that. That is what i always perceived too. But the 45 ( first pic) has always been hand placed in barrel. I can never recall anytime I put it into chamber via action. Reason I thought it was might weird. Now the 380 is hornady zombie. I think is has a setback ring but it went back far enough I dont want my old lady to rely on it. Rather be safe.

Setback ring? Do you mean the cannelure? The groove on the bullet?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Setback ring? Do you mean the cannelure? The groove on the bullet?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yea i guess. I remember one of the boxes of ammo said it had a groove, ring or whatever you want to call it to prevent bullet setback. But i dont have the boxes anymore to tell you which one it was. I just using memory. Hell it has been so long ago it could of used word crimp. I was thinking it was zombie but i could be wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back