Brass

W

wolfhunter

B. R. A. S. S.

Breathe, Relax, Aim, Slowly Squeeze.
Let's talk about controlling our breathing, attaining a good sight picture and proper sight alignment. While every handgun shooter knows these are important, the rifle shooter must be fully aware that the slight error at pistol distances is only magnified at rifle distances. FM 3-22.9 tells us "Any alignment error between the front and rear sights repeats itself for every 1/2 meter the bullet travels. For example, at the 25-meter line, any error in rifle alignment is multiplied 50 times. If the bullet is misaligned by 1/10 inch, it causes a target at 300 meters to be missed by 5 feet."

Breathe calmly and deeply when you're getting in position. Natural body alignment is essential. When you first sight in from a position,close your eyes and go through all the motions of shooting EXCEPT pulling the trigger. Open your eyes and see how much your sights drifted. DO NOT just point the rifle back at the target, instead, shift your position slightly. When you are positioned properly, you should be able to sight in, close your eyes for several breaths, and still be sighted in.

As you sight in relax, think about nice,slow, steady breaths. Some advise holding your breath as you squeeze the trigger. Some advise doing this in the middle of an exhalation. I've found many shooters begin to shake slightly using this method. I prefer to begin to squeeze as I start to exhale and slowly, gently continue to exhale until the round is down range.

Aiming is all about that sight picture and sight alignment. The description of these will vary depending on the type of sights you use. On rifles with a rear peep and front post sight configuration, the tip of the front sight must be centered in the rear sight. A correct sight picture has the target, front sight post, and rear sight aligned and the front post in focus. The sight picture includes two basic elements: sight alignment and placement of the aiming point. Placement of the aiming point will vary based on the distance to the target.

At this point you're ready to fire. Begin to slowly squeeze the trigger and only the trigger. Do not tighten the grip of the whole hand, do not jerk or pull the trigger. Do not flinch or anticipate recoil.

At this point, there should be a hole in your target exactly at the point you selected. If the hole is not at the point you selected, analyze your technique and make any necessary changes.

Last edited:
Hey wolfhunter, just curious if you went through Parris Island? I went through San Diego. Range was at Camp Pendleton. They taught us slightly different.

Breathe

Relax

Aim

Sight Alignment/Sight picture

Squeeze

Semper Fi

HardCorps, we don't care how they do it in Hollywood. :sarcastic:

Seriously, yes, I went through Parris Island, and later went back to act as a Coach at the rifle range. You separate Aiming and Sight picture/Sight alignment? Exactly what do you do in the "aiming" stage?

Paris Island, Class of '78 myself.

Those 'Hollywood' Marines do things strange!
Do they really issue pink panties out there? :biggrin:

---------------

The 'Long Range Marksman' classes were an eye opener!
I 'Thought' I knew how to shoot before the Marines, but they actually taught me how to shoot accurately.
I'd never heard of a 'Bone Rest' until then
(17 year old Indiana farm boy that knew EVERYTHING when I got to boot! I had a rough life for about 12 weeks until I learned how much I DIDN'T KNOW... those last 4 weeks weren't too bad after I got a clue!),
Although I had been doing a version of 'Bone Rest' for years (Incorrectly, but not by much).
It's the little changes that make the most difference, and I'm glad the DI didn't loose interest in me until I got it right!
Although at the time, I thought I was being picked on, he saw potential and later called me a 'Natural' and recommended me for LRM training...
Wasn't good for much else but manual labor, but I could punch holes in paper targets!

I still catch myself counting breaths before I squeeze one off 30 years later!
They REALLY install muscle memory and repetition into you!

I can't say it sucks, I normally hit what I aim at, and I still can hear the ring of that steel pot when I move a loaded rifle on the range!

Nothing like a Drill Instructor with a billy club ringing that steel pot when you do something wrong!
(Steel pot hangs a date on me!)
Nothing else in the world makes a sound like a steel pot when the DI rings it for doing something wrong, and you NEVER forget that sound!

You can ALWAYS tell a Marine shooter by the way he sets up for a shot!
We all do it EXACTLY the same way!
Could it be fear of hearing that steel pot ring if you screw up leg position or hand grip? :fie:

HardCorps, we don't care how they do it in Hollywood. :sarcastic:

Seriously, yes, I went through Parris Island, and later went back to act as a Coach at the rifle range. You separate Aiming and Sight picture/Sight alignment? Exactly what do you do in the "aiming" stage?

I knew the Hollywood grief was coming.:laugh:

Aim - acquire the target in the sights

Sight Alignment/ Sight picture - the target will become a blurry ball right over the top of the post.

Don't ask me but that's what they taught us. The only target I ever saw actually blur over the top of the post was the Able target.

PS - that was way back when Christ was a Corporal, as they say

Hey wolfhunter, just curious if you went through Parris Island? I went through San Diego. Range was at Camp Pendleton. They taught us slightly different.

Breathe

Relax

Aim

Sight Alignment/Sight picture

Squeeze

Semper Fi

Yea, I'm a "Hollywood" Marine too.:biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members