Border Crossing

JMWeldy

Recently hubby and I went to Niagara Falls and stayed on the Canadian side. At the border crossing, the border patrol guy asked if we had any guns, knives or mace with us. We told him no. He then asked if we owned any guns. Hubby told him no but that I owned one. I was then asked what kind of gun I owned. I told him and he then asked where was it and I told him home in my bedroom. He then told us the penalties for having a gun and then asked again if we had any guns and again we told him no. I would think after the first question was answered why the others? When they scan our passports just exactly what info if any is on there?

Were you crossing into the US or going from the US to Canada? Was the border patrol US or Canadian? I take it your are US citizens.

This sounds like Canada eh?
Iti sounds like a typical question. The agent watches your reaction to the question.

I am wondering what the crime rate invovling firearms is in Canada? They have outlawed most if not all pistols.

This sounds like Canada eh?
It sounds like a typical question. The agent watches your reaction to the question.

I am wondering what the crime rate invovling firearms is in Canada? They have outlawed most if not all pistols.

Yes, we're U.S. citizens going into Canada so the Border Patrol was Canadian. Just seemed strange he wanted to know if we owned guns. As long as I'm not trying to bring them into Canada, what difference does it make it I own any or not? He didn't search us or the vehicle.

Customs Agent: Are you bringing any firearms into <insert country here>?
Me: No.
CA: Do you own any firearms?
Me: I already told you I have no firearms on or about my person or in my vehicle.
CA: But do you OWN any firearms?
Me: None of your business.
CA: Ma'am, I need to know for the form. Do you own any firearms?
Me: I already told you, that's none of your business as whether I own firearms or not, there are no firearms involved in this border crossing.
CA: *sigh* If you owned firearms, where would they be right now?
Me: *o_o* I'm not giving you an answer to any more firearms questions, move it along.

Cathy, if you try this the way you have spelled it out...You will be detained, searched, car taken apart (and they don't have to put it back together) on and on. I cross the border an average of 30 times per year for the last 20 years and have been detained when I just didn't look right to them, they don't need a reason to make your life a living hell. Be compliant, not complacent. I know if feels like an invasion of your privacy, but it is their Country.

I'll be sure to being my toolbox with all my car wrenching tools.

Same here. They can remove every frickin bolt on my car; I'm not telling them a thing about "what I own". I'm asking for a supervisor and bitching like hell if they do it, or if it was a pleasure trip, turning the F around and enjoying the bountiful beauty of the US. :biggrin:

I am with Cathy on this one, I had a little tift with the Canadian crossing guards once over my liscence plate before. A Canadian asking my why I live in WA state and have FL DL, insurance and plates for. It was several years ago so I don't remember the exact exchange but all my ID's were as I told him he just didn't grasp why the passport address said WA and the DL said FL. I refused to show him or tell him I'm in the military since there was an issue several weeks ago at that border crossing with military guys and the canucks. It was like talking to a wall for 10 minutes before he let us through.

If the question is irrelavent for the situation then it doesn't need to be answered.

As for the OP you should have replied assult rifles but this is pleasure trip.

Cathy, if you try this the way you have spelled it out...You will be detained, searched, car taken apart (and they don't have to put it back together) on and on.
<<scare tactic>> D 'oE << scare tactic>> : Simply not true. You may refuse to answer questions, they may refuse to grant entry. Wonderful, this voluntary system of freedoms and laws and such, isn't it? :pleasantry:

Car dissassembly is not going to happen without probable cause. The method of questioning is simply a common tactic to elicit desired response from a suspect. It's done all the time by trained LEOs who know what they are doing because stupid perps tend to fall for it, stammering, confusing their story and thus providing - you guessed it - PROBABLE CAUSE.

I stated this in another thread but, if it is not business quit traveling and spending your hard earnd money where you are not allowed to protect yourself. Traveled quite a bit as a younger man and now travel for pleasure. A couple of time hunted in Canada, beautiful country, but since they cannot guarantee you safety, travel where you can portect your own hide.

Last edited:
I stated this in another thread but, if it is not business quit traveling and spending your hard earnd money where you are not allowed to protect yourself. Traveled quite a bit as a younger man and now travel for pleasure. A couple of time hunted in Canada, beautiful country, but since they cannot guarantee you safety, travel where you can portect your own hide.

I agree 100%. I'm going on vacation next week in the beautiful state of Colorado. The wife wanted to go to Vegas and then on to the beaches of SoCal. Her second choice was the Oregon Coast. I told her there was no way I was going to support the economy of any state that would not honor CWP. Colorado honors my permit so they they get my tourist dollars. However, I will avoid Denver like the plague due to their boycot of the Arizona immigration law.

I go where I want. Packing a pistol is not a priority. There are other ways to foil a mugger, or car jacking. Having one in my motel room is a great idea, but not mandatory. There are other ways to foil an intruder. If my permit(s) are honored OK, if not, thats OK to. I obey the laws where ever I go.

Regarding Canada, great place to visit. Just answer the boarder guards questions, don't make any political statements. I am going there to enjoy myself, not give anyone a bad time.

I don't care if anyone is boycotting Arizona. Its all politician talk anyhow. BTW, Denver has a huge Hispanic population. What do you expect the politicians to say? What ever it takes to keep their phony baloney jobs, thats what. harrumph!!!!!!

Canadian border Crossings...

I have crossed the Canadian border numerous times over the years, before and after the Canadian gun bans...

Along the lines of of what Cathy posted...

I always answered in a similar manner she suggests...

E.G.:
Q: Do you have any weapons in the vehicle or on your person?
A: Yes...
Q: What is the purpose of your visit?
A: Hunting...
Q: May I see your permits and passport and drivers license?
A: Here you go...
Q: Do you have any weapons in the vehicle or on your person other then those that are listed on the paperwork?
A: No.
Q: Do you own any other weapons then those listed on your paperwork?
A: None of your business...
Q: Please answer the question...
A: Please give me the name and phone number of your supervisor so I can pass it and your name along to the U.S. Department of State and my attorney, and the officer of the day at base x, phone y.
Q: Please answer the question...
A: Please call the U.S. Department of State and my attorney, and the officer of the day at base x, phone y....
Conclusion: Have a nice day... move along...

Neither my person or vehicles or passengers have ever been searched other then a walk around and cursory look under carriage...

I had more trouble bringing hides and horns & claws back then anything else over the years...

On a side note, here in Nevada CCW holders are advised in their classes that this type of harassment is par for the course for those U.S. travelers coming from states that are known to issue CCW permits...

For hunters, the Canadian Northwest Territory has thousands of square miles of Territory that has not seen men in some 150 years; pretty much since the gold rush days, and the hunting is awesome...
I highly recommend it for everybody's bucket list at minimum...

<<scare tactic>> D 'oE << scare tactic>> : Simply not true. You may refuse to answer questions, they may refuse to grant entry. Wonderful, this voluntary system of freedoms and laws and such, isn't it? :pleasantry:

Car dissassembly is not going to happen without probable cause. The method of questioning is simply a common tactic to elicit desired response from a suspect. It's done all the time by trained LEOs who know what they are doing because stupid perps tend to fall for it, stammering, confusing their story and thus providing - you guessed it - PROBABLE CAUSE.

Oh thank God you and Bohemian stopped by to straighten me out. Of course I know nothing about Canada and it's border crossing procedures, and you were quite correct in labeling it a scare tactic. By all means please piss off the border guards and perhaps we won't have to see you around for awhile.:pleasantry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back