blind in one eye but wanting better marksmanship at the range

dwsintxs

I have a problem that is complicating my shooting ability, and need some advice on how I can best overcome it.

Because of a childhood accident, I am blind in my right eye. I shoot right-handed and am always shooting low and to the left.

I have been told to shoot with both eyes open, or to try shooting with my blind eye closed etc, but neither of these pieces of advice have helped.

I do not want to switch to shooting left-handed, it is just too uncomfortable to do.

Should I adjust my sights, or manually shoot up and to the right or what, or a combination of both, or what?

Dwsintxs,
It may not be a problem being blind in one eye causing you to shoot low left. You don't need to adjust your sights or shoot left handed. I have students that are left-eye dominant yet right handed. Just move the gun a little to the left to line the sights up with your left eye. Now let's talk about the low left issue. There are several causes of this, but the most common cause is flinching or anticipating the recoil. When you flinch, your natural tendency is to grip tighter causing the gun to drop. Have you tried shooting off of sand bags or from a supported position? That may help. The other question I would ask is what type of gun are you shooting and are the sights adjustable?

We'll get you through this. You may have to try a couple things.

Kevin H.

Yep, one of those students that is extremely left-eye dominant and right handed. I'm pretty accurate, when I have a gun that fits my hand. I'm not that great with a Glock; all my shots go sideways! I'm still easily on target with it, but much tighter grouping with my Shield.

I'm not an instructor, so have no advice (besides making sure your gun fits your hand, obviously)... just thought you'd like to hear from someone who needs to blind myself in my right eye (close it) in order to shoot straight. :smile:

+ 1 to the first response. Low and left on a right handed shooter is nearly always caused by the anticipatory flinch. Put a penny on your barrel and dry fire. See if you are moving at the trigger break. Lots of dry fire with a penny might do wonders for your shooting. That and lots of shooting:triniti:

Well, I have 4 guns that I'm shooting.
1. a full size 1911 .45 acp (Citadel)- I shoot very accurately with this gun, but since it's not my EDC I don't shoot it much.
2. a Para USA 1911 .45 acp - I shoot very accurately with this gun, but since it's not my EDC I don't shoot it much.
3. Ruger LCP - my primary EDC until I get a holster for my newer EDC - this one is what I'm shooting low and to the left with
4. The S&W M&P Shield 9mm - I just got this gun and have taken it to the range 2 X so far. I am shooting low and to the left, but the groupings have been very good. This is my favorite gun and plan for it being my EDC as soon as a holster arrives.

I have been 'compensating' in my shooting by aiming high and right. If shooting at the upper right shoulder I can put the rounds almost perfectly in the center, but don't want to get in the habit of shooting like that. . . (unless that's what more experienced shooters would advise)

Being in my 50's, I do find that I have 'shake-hand' when shooting, but know that with enough range time I will eventually get past that. I am trying to make it to the range once a week and putting out 100-200 rounds each gun, and have done so since the new range opened. (Frisco Gun Club in Frisco TX).

My primary goal is better marksmanship and of course, self-defense abilities. (I have a CHL)

What about seeking a eye doctor that s a shooter and getting there thoughts ? a good well qualified instructor just might help , at least they should be able to pick out if you are flinching ! Above all DON'T GIVE UP , YOU CAN WITH GODS HELP ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I know this is going to sound a little goofy but think about it before laughing out loud. How about holding your gun with the grip horizontal, like da gangtus on TV, and aiming like you would if you had been knocked to the ground and were on your left side. That way it would be easy to have the gun held far enough to your left to aim with your good eye? Nutso??? or could it work?

Well, I have 4 guns that I'm shooting.
1. a full size 1911 .45 acp (Citadel)- I shoot very accurately with this gun, but since it's not my EDC I don't shoot it much.
2. a Para USA 1911 .45 acp - I shoot very accurately with this gun, but since it's not my EDC I don't shoot it much.
3. Ruger LCP - my primary EDC until I get a holster for my newer EDC - this one is what I'm shooting low and to the left with
4. The S&W M&P Shield 9mm - I just got this gun and have taken it to the range 2 X so far. I am shooting low and to the left, but the groupings have been very good. This is my favorite gun and plan for it being my EDC as soon as a holster arrives.

I have been 'compensating' in my shooting by aiming high and right. If shooting at the upper right shoulder I can put the rounds almost perfectly in the center, but don't want to get in the habit of shooting like that. . . (unless that's what more experienced shooters would advise)

Being in my 50's, I do find that I have 'shake-hand' when shooting, but know that with enough range time I will eventually get past that. I am trying to make it to the range once a week and putting out 100-200 rounds each gun, and have done so since the new range opened. (Frisco Gun Club in Frisco TX).

My primary goal is better marksmanship and of course, self-defense abilities. (I have a CHL)

You've mentioned that the two smaller caliber firearms you shoot low and to the left with, but the two .45's you're dead on.

Might I suggest that when shooting the smaller calibers, you press slightly against the side of the gun with your left thumb. You may be pushing the gun when you squeeze the trigger. The penny trick on the front sight that BlueDawnInc suggested is great for dry fire practice and can tell you if you are pushing the trigger (and hence the gun) to the left a bit. If you are then the penny will fall off to the left or forward.

wolf_fire gives some good advice there. What I think is happening especially with the Ruger LCP is that very long trigger pull is causing you to pull the gun down left before it fires. If you have no trouble shooting single action 1911 triggers, you're just going to have to get used to the double action triggers of those smaller guns. I had a student last month that had a horrible time with her LCP as the trigger pull is so long. Practice dry fire with the LCP and Shield concentrating on a smooth slow trigger pull to the rear without disrupting the sights. It will take some time, but you'll get it. The shield actually has a little better trigger than the LCP and may be easier to get used to.

I have an M&P Shield myself for carry and LOVE it! I mostly carry 1911s so it took me a little time as well to get used to the trigger. You have the fundamentals down or you wouldn't be shooting accurately with the 1911s. Just concentrate on that trigger pull and you'll get there.

LOL
That does sound nutty, (holding the gun 'gangsta style') however, I will give it a try at the range this weekend. Notice to everyone shooting at Frisco Gun Club this weekend. . . DON'T laugh at me!

The Shield definitely is the easiest to shoot, and after only 2 trips to the range with it, I can already see that I will be most accurate with it, and it is definitely going to be my EDC.

Trigger practice is good and so is a focus on the fundamentals, but I don't understand wolf_fire's recommendation to push right with the left thumb. It seems like a poor way to compensate for something fundamentally wrong.

For advice on things like this, an intelligent friend with firearms knowledge present while you fire the guns is ideal.

Range report -

Just got back from shooting at Frisco Gun Club this morning. I would like to thank Wolf_Fire for the advice- (pushing with left thumb to compensate for shooting low and left)

I did this and noticed an immediate improvement in my ability to hit closer to center and group my shots.

It worked best with the LCP and I did it also with the M&P Shield 9mm, but the Shield shoots close enough without any compensation that I decided not to use the technique with any larger guns.

I ran 200 rounds through the LCP and 100 through the Shield 9mm, and I am really getting comfortable with both guns. Didn't even take the .45's, as the LCP and the Shield will be the primary guns that I carry.

Now, after shooting for almost a year, it's beginning to become a lot more 'fun' to hit the range. I will probably be back there again tomorrow morning! LOL

Range report -

Just got back from shooting at Frisco Gun Club this morning. I would like to thank Wolf_Fire for the advice- (pushing with left thumb to compensate for shooting low and left)

I did this and noticed an immediate improvement in my ability to hit closer to center and group my shots.

It worked best with the LCP and I did it also with the M&P Shield 9mm, but the Shield shoots close enough without any compensation that I decided not to use the technique with any larger guns.

I ran 200 rounds through the LCP and 100 through the Shield 9mm, and I am really getting comfortable with both guns. Didn't even take the .45's, as the LCP and the Shield will be the primary guns that I carry.

Now, after shooting for almost a year, it's beginning to become a lot more 'fun' to hit the range. I will probably be back there again tomorrow morning! LOL

Glad I could be of help. Happy shooting.

Fundamental flinching failures are not solved by pushing on the gun, especially if you are also practicing with just one hand sometimes as we should.

Did you try one handed to see if you're flinching just as much?

Why not just bang your rear sight to the right and be done with it if you're not going to fix the underlying problem? Do you seriously think it's a good idea to change firing techniques any more than necessary when switching guns?

Fundamental flinching failures are not solved by pushing on the gun, especially if you are also practicing with just one hand sometimes as we should.

Did you try one handed to see if you're flinching just as much?

Why not just bang your rear sight to the right and be done with it if you're not going to fix the underlying problem? Do you seriously think it's a good idea to change firing techniques any more than necessary when switching guns?

I intend to adjust the sight on the Shield 9mm (simply because I don't want to learn to get into the habit of pushing with thumb as I shoot) I really just wanted to know if I was doing anything fundamentally wrong - I've seen several other posts on other forums from Shield 9mm owners saying that theirs are shooting low and left also. . . and I will definitely be practicing with the LCP, one-handed, and getting into the habit of shooting it at shorter range targets on the firing line, since it is short-range self-defense only weapon anyway.

I believe that after I get the sights adjusted on the 9mm and shoot more with it and the LCP that my grouping and accuracy problems will be resolved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back