Big change coming in Wisconsin

BamaBoy

Maybe somebody already posted this good news, but if so I didn't see it:

"Both houses of the Wisconsin legislature went Republican last night, making it almost certain that Wisconsin will become the 41st [state] to provide a fair, non-arbitrary system for law-abiding, trained adults to be issued permits to carry handguns for lawful protection."

Apparently the anti-gun governor who vetoed previous "shall issue" attempts will be replaced by a pro-gun governor.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Link Removed

Also, Wisconsin's generally anti-gun Senator Russ Feingold lost to his pro-gun opponent.

Pennsylvania is not as restrictive as Wisconsin, but we got Republican control of both houses and a Repubican Governor as well. Before last week, the Pennsylvania Senate was the only legislative body in the northeastern United States with a Republican Majority!

We still have gun control politicians from Philadelphia who are trying to make Pennsylvania CCW permits for residents only, as Philadelphia County approves very few and they hate it when people get a Utah or Florida permits instead to get around their control issues.

Hopefully Wisconsin will follow the path of Iowa!

Keep a close eye on them. There are still RINO's among them. Hold their feet to the fire.:pleasantry:

In another web forum there was discussion of what is coming in WI. Will take awhile as the new state agenda has to be set and prioritized but there are plenty of votes to change the gun laws.

I went to an open carry meeting a few weekends ago in southern WI and a state senator spoke for awhile. There are several issues with the gun owners in WI. Many want full legal open carry and some of them do not want concealed carry if it has training and permits.

Will see how things move along in WI, but this is one state that will make a big change in carrying.

Many want full legal open carry . . .

I thought Wisconsin already had that. And isn't concealed carry with permits (and even reasonable training) better than no concealed carry at all? After all, concealed carry wouldn't replace open carry.

Sorry BamaBoy, there is open carry but in some parts of the state you will be stopped.

Many want constitutional carry like Vermont, Alaska and now Arizona have where you do not need a license or permit, for open carry or concealed carry. Many do not want concealed carry with a lot of limits, fees, etc that can be changed out in time. Will see what happens in Wisconsin once the new legislature is in session.

One other important thing they want repealed is not carrying in vehicles. If you open carry now, you have to empty the revovlver or pistol outside the vehicle, put it in a case and have it not near you. It does not have to be locked and ammo can be in the same case. It has to be fully closed.

So, if you drive around and make many stops you do that routine over and over. You have to stand by the door and do it. You cannot have it loaded and on the vehicle seat, on the hood etc. For motorcyles, bikes. Applies to boats with the motor on.

It seems to me that someone who wants to have the ability to carry a gun should be at least willing get some training to make sure that their rounds hit their mark.

What if that guy with no training is trying to save your loved ones?

Though, I also think that a majority of the problem with this is the fact that classes for such training are so expensive. As an instructor, I think that the training is far more important than the money. But after being certified I realized that I am a true outcast in that respect.

CalicoJack10, there is open carry in WI. There is no licensing.

Many owners in WI want the restrictions on open carry lifted to make it true open carry, and one statute repealed to allow concealed carry. That is the high ground.

I know you understand but too many think that people carrying now do not have prior training, do not practice, do not know handling, etc. There are many more too that choose not to open carry that would carry open with the restrictions removed or with constitutional concealed carry.

Though WI has no concealed carry, many owners in WI do not want to be run through mandatory training.

With this as background, some would still go through another training requirement but many do not see the need.

There are many ways to get "trained" and practice, beside just formal, mandatory training.

Myself, I join clubs and practice. I have done mandatory and voluntary training outside WI. But I clearly understand the point that you can carry open in WI with no licensing and many of these features deserve preservation.

I don't disagree with the idea that open and concealed carry should be unrestricted and totally legal. I also totally agree with no licensing and no fee's. I just can't wrap my mind around why someone would be against training that would keep themselves, their families, and innocent bystanders safe in bad situations. I think that there should be no set training requirement, but at the same time, the idea of being against training is kind of indicative of bad habits and unsafe practices.

This idea has a lot of bearing on why we have always had such strong problems with the anti's. Because we are always so adamant about what we want and don't care what anyone else thinks or wants that we butt heads till we are all dizzy and disoriented. Many law enforcement schools spend less than 1 day on firearms training, but the Anti's are willing to let cops carry. And the average CCW Permit holder will attend 4 times as much time training and preparing just to get the CCW, not to mention the tons of practice that CCW holders do that cops don't. There are a lot of things like this that fail because nobody will listen to anyone else.

I personally turn at least 1 anti a year to "The Dark Side" and will keep doing so regularly. Hell, my girlfriend would not even look at a gun a year ago and now she not only owns one, but wants to carry. We have been fighting over this for so long that you would think that someone would stand up and realize that what we are doing is not working.

Anymore news on this issue? I like how Gov Walker got support from NRA in his campaign and it made me vote for him. But now he wants to remove my mother's right to Collective Bargaining as a public employee to save the budget. Why not just pass "shall issue" and let that take a bite out of the deficit. It's funny though, Tommy Thompson and Doyle are the reason the state is where it is now. And now Gov Walker has big companies in his pocket.

Anymore news on this issue? I like how Gov Walker got support from NRA in his campaign and it made me vote for him. But now he wants to remove my mother's right to Collective Bargaining as a public employee to save the budget. Why not just pass "shall issue" and let that take a bite out of the deficit. It's funny though, Tommy Thompson and Doyle are the reason the state is where it is now. And now Gov Walker has big companies in his pocket.

Why should my taxes go up? Why should I pay for a right? Collective bargaining is not a right.

Why should my taxes go up? Why should I pay for a right? Collective bargaining is not a right.

Amen! Them calling it "Collective bargaining rights" is confusing the young and non self thinkers. A group calling something their RIGHT... does not make it their RIGHT.

Q: If collective bargaining were a right.... why the hell doesn't every single person in this state have it?

A: BECAUSE ITS NOT A RIGHT.

thank you and have a wonderful day.

Amen! Them calling it "Collective bargaining rights" is confusing the young and non self thinkers. A group calling something their RIGHT... does not make it their RIGHT.

Q: If collective bargaining were a right.... why the hell doesn't every single person in this state have it?

A: BECAUSE ITS NOT A RIGHT.

thank you and have a wonderful day.

And add to this that union money has bought the elected officials that sit at the table with the union during nagotiations. Conflic of interest? Don't forget this is taxpayer money we are talking about and the well does have a bottom.

My X wife works for the Unions (Pretty high up on the chain of command), and I remember every year they would go on a spending spree so that they did not look like they were making a profit.

For me it is simple, if I have to pay 12 percent of my income to cover my insurance, there is no reason someone else should only have to pay 6%.

Equality is a simple thing, everyone equal! There is no negotiating. Thats just how it is. But that is just my opinion.

As far as CC in wisconsin, I can't wait for this to go through. As a firearms instructor I know it will boost my business. However, I DO want Constitutional carry, and not a permit sstem. The permits should be for nothing more than reciprocity, and that should be an option not a mandate.

I don't see why I should have to pay to put a coat over my gun if I choose.

Also, with the stunt that was pulled with the "Bargaining Rights" recently, there is a renewed talk of getting this budget thing over and done with and moving on to CC.

referring to case linked in post #2

This was one limited decision by the lowest level of court. It does not have statewide applicability. Concealed carry is still (technically and otherwise) unlawful in Wisconsin.

Very well, maybe the ruling does not apply statewide, but it must at least apply in the territory covered by the circuit court that found the CC statute unconstitutional.

Has the ruling been appealed? I have been unable to locate much online about Wisconsin v. Schultz.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back