Best way to conceal carry a full size handgun??

eloyo79

So, I just bought a Springfield XD-M .45 ACP full size handgun. I love how the gun shoots but when it comes to concealed carry, I feel like I'm limited to a case. What would be the best way to conceal carry this firearm? Shoulder harness? Scrap the whole idea and get a compact?

Depends upon how you have to dress to go about your day. Where I live and in my work, I can get away with an untucked Hawaiian shirt and it's easy to conceal a full size pistol with an OWB holster. In situations where one would need to dress in nice pants and a dress shirt, then a IWB holster or pocket pistol may work better.

I carry a full size 1911 in a Panther concealment IWB with no problem. Usually with just a tshirt for cover.

If I want deep concealment I use my Kangaroo carry. I can wear it under a golf shirt and it is invisible. I also have a couple pairs of ccw pants with purpose designed pockets which can be adjusted to any size handgun or a couple of leather vests, one heavy one light with pockets like built in shoulder holsters where the weapon goes into a strap retention. Any of these can easily do the job for a full size weapon.
I have tried IWB and it just isn't for me but many others swear by it. Good luck and good shooting.

Sometimes I carry my Para Ordnance P14 with a Bianchi Pancake holster under an untucked shirt. Shirt should be dark, as dark colors help to conceal better. I don't like shoulder holsters because you point all the way around when unholstering. Most of the time, I carry a Glock 30 SF in a Comp Tac Minotaur IWB. No problem.

I use a Desantis Sof tuk for my 1911 .38 Super works great as I can tuck my shirt if I need to.

Bianchi has brought a new line that I think has taken them out of the 'only old timers carry Bianchi holsters' realm.
If you are a bigger guy, their Black Widow model is a traditional pancake design finished inside and out which makes a very easy draw that most pancakes make awkward.
If you weight nine pounds soaking wet (like this guy) their Venom holster is a neo-pancake that works well in the four-o-clock position to put a full-length grip almost flush with the large muscle of your back. Very comfortable, concealable with a loose t-shirt even.
That XDM is a challenge but nothing will make you feel like having 13+1 45acp at your disposal. Except maybe an FNX but I don't think anyone could help you with that.

It really depends on how well you want it concealed, if your wareing heavy cloths no problem but in summer with lightweight cloths its going to print, its still concealed sort of, a good well padded holster in the small of back tucked in your waistband is good, not sure how it will work getting in and out of the car, or anything else you may do while carrying

So, I just bought a Springfield XD-M .45 ACP full size handgun. I love how the gun shoots but when it comes to concealed carry, I feel like I'm limited to a case. What would be the best way to conceal carry this firearm? Shoulder harness? Scrap the whole idea and get a compact?

I carry a full sized gun in an IWB, get a good holster and a good belt and wear proper fitting clothing and you should be good to go

Howdy,

I've been carrying full size handguns for over 32 years and it's easy to do.

Nowadays I EDC a Glock 23 OWB @ 3:00 in a Glock holster, but I also have a Glock 35 ( long slide version of the 22 ) and I carry it the same way. same thing goes for my 20 10mm, 21SF .45 and Taurus PT 845 .45acp ( full size 12rds ).

I carry my Norinco 1911A1 in a belt slide holster OWB @ 3:00 as well.

Main key to carrying a full size handgun is to wear a cover garment that is long enough to cover the barrel/slide.

One thing to remember is that people are totally clueless and never look to see if a person is carrying a gun or not.

Last spring I went to a cookout were the people that were hosting the event are anti-gun and just for kicks I decided to carry multiple guns to see if they noticed. I was wearing jeans, wife beater tank top with a tan Dickie's work shirt and under it I carried my Glock 20 10mm on my right hip, a Glock 35 .40S&W on my left hip, and a Kel-Tek PF-9 in my right front pocket. 3 hours later no one noticed.

Paul

You can comfortably carry a full size gun.
Invest in your rig.
Get a real gun belt made to carry.
Look for the style of holster you like. I carry a full size 1911 In The Waste band and generally wearing shorts and a T-Shirt *Florida*.
If you really need to be complete undetected you may want to add that cover shirt. I will sometimes wear a nice button down shirt unbuttoned and un-tucked over my T-Shirt. It can still be a nice look if the clothing is nice.

So, I wear suits on most days and khakis on off days. I live in Florida, and it's been warm! Too warm for a jacket all the time.

I know a guy who carried a full size XDM. He used a Crossbreed IWB around 4:00. He's a slim guy but I never saw him printing, even with a t-shirt.

Always keep a cool head and a quick hand.

Holy crap, I just saw the Kangaroo system... I'm liking that air marshal 3. I can keep my light/laser attachment on. Thanks dude, good find

Awesome information. 3 gun and those guys at the cookout had no idea. I'll tell you, I thought I had long enough shirts to cover. Sometimes I even wear Hawaiian shirts, but even with that, I still can't cover the barrel of my XD-M 5.25. Only way to do it was to hold my shirt over that particular area. Thanks Paul!

Eddie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back