Best "pocket" pistol

remdds

I am a CCW holder in TN. I usually have a Sig or Kimber on my hip in a paddle holster in colder weather or IWB holster in warm. The only "pocket" pistol I have carried has been a Beretta Bobcat. I am looking to bump up the caliber in my pocket (no jokes here please). I have considered a Taurus 738 in.380 and a Beretta Nano in 9mm. I was considering the Taurus mostly due to size and cost, but I would like to keep my ammo inventory to 9mm or .45. And I would like it be a semiauto and have at least 6 shots and obviously keep it light, and small. So I guess the question is... which one and why? (unless you have some other one I can't live without... pun intended)

Best "pocket" pistol

Have you looked at the Ruger LC9 I own a couple of Rugers but not this model but I would consider it for a pocket pistol

I have looked at both the Ruger LC9 and the Taurus 709. I discounted them only due to size (and I am not a Ruger pistol fan). Maybe I should wait on a Beretta Pico???

I carry a Sig Sauer 938. It's a 9mm built on a 1911 frame and very compact. It is also very comfortable to shoot, unlike the polymer framed pistols.

On the belt, the Sig might work for me. But in the pocket... a bit too many snags, width and weight. If I have to go on the belt I'll stay with my Sig 225 or Kimber compact.

I like Sig P938, Kimber Solo, Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9 for pocket carry. I have not tried the Taurus.

On the belt, the Sig might work for me. But in the pocket... a bit too many snags, width and weight.

I've looked at the Solo, LC9 (slightly large), M&P Shield 9 (larger) and Kahr MK and CM/CW 9. Ruled out the Solo due to the finicky ammo reviews. Shot an LC9 and it wasn't comfortable in my hand like the M&P Shield. The M&P & LC9 are very close to the same size and really are not pants pocket guns, maybe coat pocket. I have a Kahr MK40 but it's all steel so it weighs a lot, accurate and reliable, built like a tank. The lightweight Kahrs were considered, but I just like metal guns more. I bought a Sig P938 recently and it feels great in the hand, not too heavy just over a pound loaded (17.1oz they say). It's a little larger that the Solo, but it's mostly the beavertail. If you are concerned about Snags, then get the version I did, the P938 SAS. It is two tone with Goncalo wood grips and has carry melt treatement to the slide as well as minor frame smoothing. With the extended mag it fits all 3 fingers (for me), but there is a drawback; the extension pad rubs the hand when you go to eject the magazine. But hey, it's an SD gun, not a shoot out reload weapon. Bottom line, it carries as many rounds as most 38/357 or 1911's, but in a weapon that reminds me of my LCP in size and comfort.I have a Hogue Handall Jr on my LCP and it's no longer a snap in the palm like it used to be. If the P938 SAS seems too snappy, I'll be buying the Hogue replacement rubber wrap around grip or maybe just the sleeve; we shall see. Today is going to be my first day shooting the SAS, keeping my fingers crossed. I carry IWB most everything, except my 1911. I plan to carry this IWB, vest/coat pocket or ankle.

Last edited:
The only "pocket" pistol I have carried has been a Beretta Bobcat. I am looking to bump up the caliber in my pocket (no jokes here please). I have considered a Taurus 738 in.380 and a Beretta Nano in 9mm. I was considering the Taurus mostly due to size and cost, but I would like to keep my ammo inventory to 9mm or .45. And I would like it be a semiauto and have at least 6 shots and obviously keep it light, and small. So I guess the question is... which one and why?

While 9 mm offers more energy, it also requires more weight ... say upwards of 22 oz for recoil that permits getting quickly back on target for followups. 22+ oz is challenging in most pockets. The 10 - 12 oz pocket mice recoil with upwards of 6 ft-lbs ... which is up in the range of a 23+ oz 9 mm or a 40 oz 45 ACP.

The 17.2 oz Ruger LC380 (~$380 including tax) offers a nearly ideal pocket weight (~19.5 oz with 7+1 onboard) vs. recoil. (about 3.7 ft-lbs) Under 5 ft-lbs makes for a good 'shooter'; over 5 ft-lbs provides bragging rights, but doesn't get back down on target nearly as quickly as something under 5 ft-lbs.

Before you dismiss a light round (like .380 ACP), remember that, if you can't aim it where it needs to go, a heavier round is NOT going to make you more accurate! In other words, if one can't shoot, one doesn't need a heavier round; one needs a grenade. :yes4:

The choice, of course, is yours ... Have fun with it.

Regarding pocket guns, it obviously depends on the size of the pocket. I carry either my S&W 642 in .38 Special, Kel-Tec PF-9, or my XDS 45. My pocket holsters are Remora and DeSantis. Again, whatever is comfortable for you is the correct one(s). I accessorize with firearms and holsters and there are many to choose from. I just ordered, from The Holster Store, an IWB leather, clip mounted with a slide protector and forward cant. It looks comfortable but time will tell.

Regarding pocket guns, it obviously depends on the size of the pocket.
I'm not Mr Greenjeans or Capt. Kangaroo (there's one for all you old guys). It'll be with Haggars/Lee's Casual slacks to and from the office or the occasional Levi's.
Maybe I'll get BOTH the PT738 and the Nano. Merry Christmas to me!!!

Living in Vegas, I carry a Sig P-238 Equinox in a Remora IWB clipless holster. The Sig is a .380, light weight and will drop in my pocket also. I thought about moving up to the 938 but then why...........

I have an old .380, a Gendal p-10. It's generally been perfectly serviceable, but of late has developed a tendency to jam. So I'm looking for a new pocket gun. I think the .380 is fine, but have no aversion to a 9. I need the weapon to be concealable in a pair of slacks (not tight jeans, just slacks) without being too obvious, and very easy to fetch out (not too bulky or too any angles and such to snag). This is a close in personal defense piece, so anything over 5 or 6 rounds is fine. Any suggestions out there?

I like the size/weight of my S&W Bodyguard .380. I've only pocket carried a few times and for a short period...not my favorite way to carry, so I'm not an authority on that...but the gun is a nice size and could work for pocket carry. There are smaller guns out there, but any smaller and I start to dislike them. It has a fairly thin profile as well, so it's not too bulky that way either.

I am also looking at the P938. Anyone have more thoughts? I have no experience with it.
I have a Kimber Compact in my collection and since then I avoid 1911 style (like the Sig 938?) only because of the take down method. Since I started this thread I learned about the Beretta Pico for pocket carry and am now looking into locating one online or locally.

I think Sig Sauer has finally done it, my P938 was flawless at the range through the 1st 75 rounds; that's all the ammo I could afford this time. I was pleased with it's capabilities (or mine?) for such a small reasonably lightweight 9mm. I definitely like shooting it more with the extended mag with finger extension over the standard flat bottom 6 round mag. As I have read in other reviews, the trigger is a bit stiff, but after the first round per mag I really don't notice it. It's just that initial pull that seems tough. We shall so how it is after 500 rounds, might look into a modification to make it smoother and lighter. In general, I like it a lot and will post updates in the future. Happy Thanksgiving :smile:

I really like my SCCY CPX-1. It is easily carried in a Blackhawk! pocket holster, size #3. Have had no problems or discomfort while carrying.

"And I would like it be a semiauto and have at least 6 shots and obviously keep it light, and small. So I guess the question is... which one and why?"

Some of these pistols are fine, but not really for pocket carry. The Nano, for instance. Excellent for concealed carry, in an IWB holster perhaps, but too big and too heavy for pocket carry. If you're already carrying a Bobcat .22, and want to move up to a higher caliber, possibly the best all-round pocket pistol is the Ruger LCP, which is, of course, chambered in .380. It actually weighs less than the Bobcat and has an even slimmer profile. The LCP carries the same number of rounds (6), but hits much harder: 9mm short. I myself own a Beretta Bobcat (fine little gun), but I carry two Ruger LCPs, one in each front pocket.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back