Best pocket pistol in .22LR for Significant other

XD9_MS

Hi all,
I know, I know...but there's a reason why. My EDC is a SA XDs 9mm, my SO has recently become interested in carrying and just a couple of weeks ago we found a good deal on a used S&W Bodyguard .380 and we got it. Loved the way it looks, love the size, love the laser, but it kicks like a beast.

Without getting into discussions about stopping power and all that, what are our options for a nice and reliable pocket pistols in .22LR or any other small caliber for that matter?

Thanks!

Look at Ruger or Walther, They both make a nice small .22lr in an auto. Also Ruger makes the LCR in .22 mag and .22lr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Many successful self-defense incidents have occurred with a 22lr, as most bad guys only need to be shot at to persuade them they have made a bad decision in their choice in victims.

However I would suggest at least a .380ACP as the minimum caliber to defend against those that need a little more persuasion that their choice in victims was not a good choice.

Hi all,
I know, I know...but there's a reason why. My EDC is a SA XDs 9mm, my SO has recently become interested in carrying and just a couple of weeks ago we found a good deal on a used S&W Bodyguard .380 and we got it. Loved the way it looks, love the size, love the laser, but it kicks like a beast.

Sorry, but that's what you get when you care more how the gun looks than how it works. Choosing a firearm, because it looks "cute", is one of the most often made mistakes. The smaller and lighter the weight of the gun is, the heavier is the felt recoil. Now, you are looking at getting a gun with a smaller caliber, which is the typical subsequent mistake.

Without getting into discussions about stopping power and all that, what are our options for a nice and reliable pocket pistols in .22LR or any other small caliber for that matter?

I would simply suggest a heavier .380 ACP pistol, like the Bersa Thunder, or a .380 ACP pistol that is less recoiling by design, such as the Glock 42. Go to a range where you can rent them and try them out.

For comparison, the Bodyguard 380 weighs unloaded about 11.85 ounces, while the Thunder 380 weighs 20 ounces and the Glock 42 weighs 13.76 ounces. Bodyguard 380 is 5.25x4.10x0.75 inches, while the Thunder 380 is 6.60x4.90x1.30 inches and the Glock 42 is 5.94x4.13x0.94 inches.

If you insist on a smaller caliber, take a look at the Ruger LCR in 22 WMR or 22 LR. I would stay away from semi-autos in 22 LR due to the reliability issues that come with the 22 LR cartridge. In a revolver, you can just ignore a misfire in a self defense situation and continue to shoot. You also do not have ejection failures. There are other, less common, caliber choices as well, like .32 ACP, but you need to find rounds for the gun as well.

If you are set on a .22 I have had VERY good "luck" with Taurus pt22, I have owned 4 of them (still have 3) and NONE of them ever had a failure of any kind.. It is also a tilt-barrel design so no racking the slide to load , and if you DO happen to have a misfire, you can double (or more) strike it to try again...

Howdy,

Pocket pistol like a .380 that are "blow back" design are known to have a fairly heavy recoil.

A small frame/compact 9mm that has a tilting block design will be more powerful and have less recoil.

I'm not a 9mm fan but a compact 9mm loaded with std velocity 115gr bullets is better than a rock or a .22LR.

If she insist on a .22LR pistol I have a Walther P22 that I really like. It's had +3,500 round fired through it without a hiccup except for dud ammo and it's the one I would recommend.

Load it with the heaviest solid bullets you can find and forget the lightweight super velocity stuff. I myself would use the Aquila 60gr SSS load. Based on my test it has incredible penetration ( for a .22lr ) and the long heavy bullet usually bends and tumbles when fired into wet newspapers or wet phone books.

HTH

Paul

You said "pocket" pistol, that cuts out the Walther really. As suggested, Ruger LCR, small package and 8 rd or 6 rd for .22mag

Since you're asking for suggestions on which 22's are good, this is off topic, but your better options for 22's have probably already been given. Just wanna say, I was going to get a pocket pistol, but agree with the guys who are saying that, generally speaking, the lighter and smaller the pistol the more recoil and less accuracy considering the same calber, weight, etc. I say 'generally' speaking because I'm sure someone will come up with exceptions.

So, what I did was find a way to comfortably conceal a full size pistol, rather than buy the small pocket pistol - the larger and heavier the gun, the less recoil and better accuracy (again generally speaking).

I may eventually get a pocket pistol too, but if I do I'll expect it to be less comfortable to shoot than full size, and I'll expect it to be less accurate as well.

Howdy,

Pocket pistol like a .380 that are "blow back" design are known to have a fairly heavy recoil.

A small frame/compact 9mm that has a tilting block design will be more powerful and have less recoil.

I'm not a 9mm fan but a compact 9mm loaded with std velocity 115gr bullets is better than a rock or a .22LR.

If she insist on a .22LR pistol I have a Walther P22 that I really like. It's had +3,500 round fired through it without a hiccup except for dud ammo and it's the one I would recommend.

Load it with the heaviest solid bullets you can find and forget the lightweight super velocity stuff. I myself would use the Aquila 60gr SSS load. Based on my test it has incredible penetration ( for a .22lr ) and the long heavy bullet usually bends and tumbles when fired into wet newspapers or wet phone books.

HTH

Paul

Most pocket 380s are locked-breech action (tilting barrel) as there are already too small and too light for blowback action. The OP's Bodyguard 380 is locked-breech action. The Thunder 380, I suggested, is blowback action (Walther PPK clone). The Glock 42, I suggested, is locked-breech action. The Thunder 380 has significantly less recoil than the Bodyguard 380 despite the different action, because its twice as heavy.

I carry the smaller Bersa Thunder 380CC in my pocket. I got a regular size Thunder 380 for my wife, but she does not carry it because she says it is too heavy. So I got her a hammerless Ruger LCR .38sp instead. She will carry it with regular .38sp ammo, but the +P stuff is too hot. If it has to be a 22, get the eight shot 22LR LCR. I would not get an autoloader in 22LR for selfdefense, because if you get a misfire your stuck doing the tap, rack, swear on it instead of just pulling the trigger again on a new cylinder.

Great advice everyone! Thanks so much. We will definitely try a few other heavier .380s before considering a smaller caliber gun. The G42 seems to be a good candidate.
I can see now the compromise on reliability with a semi auto .22LR. We are considering to look into a revolver as well.

Have you considered the old Beretta Jetfire in .25 auto? Magazine holds 8 rounds, plus one in the pipe. I carry it when I can't carry a real gun. Totally reliable (for a mechanical device). No worse than the .22 for stopping power and without the reliability issues typical of the rimfire cartridge in semi-auto. You can still find them in like-new condition for around $200.

Howdy,

HTH

Paul

This shows where Paul gets his ballistic knowledge.

OP, feel free to ignore any and all advice this basement-dweller gives.

I am a big fan of the walther P22- it fits very well in my hand. It's definitely not a pocket pistol - as Nick pointed out-

And since the Walther P22 has been brought up - several times- I must suggest checking out this worthy 9 Luger candidate: the Walther P99. Besides being a great gun- I felt that the grip was molded for my hands.

May I suggest taking your significant other to a gun shop that has a range and rents guns. Then stand back and let her choose an assortment of guns in different calibers both semi auto and revolver that she ... she, not you or me or any of the other well meaning posters, likes. Then rent them and let her shoot them.

The gun that fits her hand and she can run the controls of the easiest and she shoots the best and she just happens to like the best is the best gun for her no matter what the caliber or if it is a revolver or a semi auto.

And the gun she chooses will be the best for her regardless of what you, me, or anyone else, thinks of it simply because that gun will be the one she will shoot and perhaps even carry.

Offer her the respect of trusting her judgement and let her choose her own gun.

My significant other had the same issues. we rented and tried some 380's and she picked the Sig Sauer P238. Manageable recoil, she can rack the slide easily, and she wanted a gun with a safety. Im glad we tried others out first. in the long run it saved time and money. She pocket carries all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For a pocket pistol in .22lr I have a Beretta Bobcat with CT laser grip that I sometimes carry as a back-up for my EDC or in NPE areas. Tauras makes a very similar tilt bbl. .22, the CT grips fit both brands. My wife likes the pistol as well and shoots it well. On the down side this gun has NO extractor and it can be very difficult to dislodge a misfire or stuck case (I have never had this happen) I carry a long 050 allen wrench in the pocket pouch with an extra magazine, this will not only push the case out but if I should ever need to adjust the CT laser it uses a 050 wrench.

Bikenut makes a great point. Ideally this is the best option- try before you buy. With that said- it would be best to go to a range that has a wide selection of rentable pistols- or at least ones that contain the pistols you've researched.

I absolutely agree to try before you buy if you can however, there aren't many places around like that at least in my area. But.....all new fire arms take practice to master or at the very least become proficient enough to save ones life. Some can pick up a gun and hit a bulls eye the first shot but in reality a great many folks can not. I no longer make recommendations for a firearm because each of us is different, and our likes and feelings are different. Even more difficult to make a recommendation when an individual has some physical limitations. I now merely state to shop the local gun shops and see if you find a firearm that fits well in your hand and is comfortable and that you can aim comfortably, rack the slide, pull the hammer, pull the trigger. What ever applies then If it feels good, buy it and shoot the hell out of it. IMO... I see nothing wrong with a .22 cal pistol for self defense if this is all one can handle however as many have mentioned it takes a well placed shot to kill. Yes Kill!!! because there is little stopping power with a .22. And most important don't use the cheap assed target rounds for self defense in a .22. At the very least use CCI ammo or Match grade ammo which is high dollar but more reliable. Just my thoughts. Hope everyone enjoys the Labor Day Weekend.

I purchased a S&W M&P Compact 22LR last month and love it. Not to big, not too heavy. Got a good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. You might take a look at one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back