Best, Most powerful very small handgun

insman1132

All you great gun guru's, I need your thoughts and the benefit of your experience. I currently have both .32 and .380 Kel Tec's which I love for their size and reliability. However with recent events as they are, I am now thinking that I need something with more stopping/hitting power, and I am wondering what your recommendations would be. I would want it to be as small as possible. and I am thinking maybe a .40 or .45 cal? And of course proven reliability is very important. And as Grandma is now getting her Conceal Permit, her smaller hand size may also be a consideration?

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

Grandpa

Look at the M&P compact (left) and Shield (right)

Compact-Shield.jpg

Not my photo

I was lucky enough to win the LC9 last quarter but I really like my Taurus 709 Slim. It is 9MM but also comes in 40Cal. Trigger takes some getting used to but once you shoot it and become familiar, it is a nice gun.

If you haven't read the piece I posted the other day, read this:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/27897-my-choice-ccw.html

BTW, good luck with those Kel-Tecs - I have never found a less reliable gun than my P-32 - it couldn't get through a complete box of ammo without two trips to the factory, and after 6 weeks there, it was returned with the same problem. Alas, you get what you pay for. Buy quality - especially when your life might depend on it!

i carry a colt .380 but now i am going to upgrade to a .45. i like glocks and there are several to choose from. the glock 36 is small and looks to be very concealable. then springfield just introduced the xd-s in .45 which is supposed to be even smaller(not by much). havent had the opportunity to ck out the xd-s yet, but i will soon, it is supposed to be a little less expensive than the glock(again,not by much).

i have narrowed my search down to these two,basically for price and reliability. i have had glocks before and know they go bang everytime. i have also heard good things about the xd's.

The "best" handgun not too big and not too little is truly a subjective subject ~ like what's better Ford or Chevy?

Now to our "best" : The wife chose a stainless steel Ruger SP101 .357 w/2 1/4 inch barrel. Not too big and not too little for us.

My ccw is a Ruger LCP .380 but if I REALLY needed stopping power, i would much rather be holding her .357.

The best thing for you to do would be to go to your LGS and handle all the goodies. Find one that is at least a 9 MM, .38 special (or .357) and feels good in your hand. After all, that's where it will be spending it's time working.

Note: the LCP wonderfully disappears in a summer pocket holster. The .357 does a good job in an in-the-waistband holster with heavier clothing. Just my observations.

I have the xds and it is small and dead on. I also carry the Ruger sr9c and I like it as well. You can't go wrong, either way. Good luck!

And if you want more pop in your shot, check out the .357sig. It delivers way more ft lbs of energy than a .45 with a lot less chamber pressure (recoil). And the bottleneck cartridge feeds better in any gun.

I had the same problem with my honey as to a small auto that has some stopping power that she could use.We finally settled on a Beretta 3230 tip up barrel in 32cal. She is petite and cant rack the slide on the bigger calibers so the tip up barrel works great and is a DA also..I checked out a Taurus PT22 and that was a piece of crap as far as i was concerned. JMO

The best most powerful gun will be the one that you are carrying! Being comfortable and accurate with you carry gun is more important than the size of the gun.You can look at all the suggestions above which are all good guns, however if you choose one of those and only carry it 30-50% of the time it does you no good.

As for me I carry everything from a Ruger LCP, to a Colt Officers Model.It just depends on the climate down here in Florida or what activity I will be engaged in.

My vote goes to the Walther PPS, I have the 9mm and it is one awesome gun. Very easy to conceal and shoot. Also super reliable, I love my Glocks a 19, 21sf, and a 36. The Walther has taken over as my edc.

G27-26 great gun easy concealed. Someone mentioned a g36 earlier that's my edc I love it, great gun. For the same size tho you could get a g23 and almost double your round count (in 40 tho not 45)

Boy, talk about great people!!!.. Ask a question and all sorts of experienced help appears. Thanks everyone. I will look at them all.

Grandpa

Look at the M&P compact (left) and Shield (right)

I agree with the M&P's also but that is simply because I am an M&P owner and a huge fan. Another good option is the Springfield Armory XD sub-compact. It has a 3" barrel and comes in 9mm or .40 S&W. Great power in a small package. Here you go...Link Removed

Go to shops and feel what is best for you.

Good luck!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back